Car shopping

Level 1
So I'm shopping for used car. What is it with sellers that list ZERO information about the car's condition or features? And when you try to engage them via messages to find out specific information about the vehicle they are selling and they get all bent out of shape. Seriously? You'd save us both a lot of time if you simply listed all the details about the vehicle you're selling. Just my two cents.
34 REPLIES 34
Community Helper
I totally agree with you @Iblarry Yep people can be rude sometimes I know if’s really frustrating. Just hang in there.
OfferUp employee

@Iblarry It's totally okay to vent your frustrations and I'm sorry you're not finding what you're looking for. I just wanted to chime in that if people ever harass you in any way, report them ASAP so we know. Smiley Happy

Level 3
I know the feeling. But you're dealing with a lot of people who clearly have no experience selling a car, or they have something to hide. Some people really expect you to treat buying a car like a piece of furniture.
It may be like prying teeth, but I would try and get the vin before checking it out. And always take a mechanic, and view it in the day time if you decide to go.
Level 1
Thanks....I'll keep trying!
Level 1
Thank you. I’ve just listed a vehicle and I’m taking notes. Making revisions to my listing ASAP.
Community Helper
Its always to everyone's benefit if the seller list details and good pictures. Obviously, at the minimum, everyone wants to know the year and mileage!!! That's just common sense. Somehow, its missing. What would make someone think it's a good idea to partially remove snow from a car and decide, "that's the perfect pictures" to post, haha. My gosh! I saw one car interior with trash in the center console, kids carseats and gummy bears on the floor. Makes you wonder if they really want to sell a car!? Before anything, it's advisable to CLEAN THE VEHICLE, inside and out. If a car looks dirty, it doesn't convey that it's well cared for. That may not be the case but would you want a dirty car from a dealership or a clean one? Spend time taking as many pictures as possible from many angles. If you can find great sunlight, that's the best. Don't take pics in low light or at night. Pick the ones that show the car best. Make a list of basic info like year, make, model, trim level, color, mileage, number of owners etc. If there are any special items added, like alarms, autostart, stereo, wheels, list them. Obviously, people want to know about accidents or damage. Investing in a CarFax can go a long way to providing info and also conveying confidence. Any additional info like service and maintenance ate helpful.
For some people, they may feel, it's too much to bother with. It could make a big difference not only in the quality and quantity of responses, but also in your final price. Post like it matters and it's more likely to be treated that way.
OfferUp employee

@cyclomatic All great advice!! 

What kind do you have something cheap
What kind of car and how cheap