Finding cars with too good to be true deals

Level 1
Hello,
I’m looking for a used car and have been finding listings for cars with deals that just sounds too good to be true. I’ve emailed back and forth with a few of the sellers and I’m just too skeptical. Am I falling for a scam or going to miss out on a good deal? Any advice?
7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Great question, and welcome to the community, @Cel_momma!

My best recommendation would be keep all conversations within the app. If this user is only communicating through email rather than our app, go ahead and report them to our Customer Care team. I'd also not move forward with this transaction any further. 

DO NOT EMAIL ANY SELLERS!!! THEY ARE ALL SCAMMERS. ONLY COMMUNICATE THROUGH TEXT, PHONE OR OFFER UP!!!!!
Level 1
Thank you! It was iffy so I didn’t respond any further. I noticed a lot of these scams with cars listing for a lot less than I’m sure they’re worth.
Level 1
Thank you for the tip! I’m even skeptical with communicating through text/phone now.
Community Manager

@Cel_momma I agree - I never give my number out. Our in-app messaging system does everything I need it to do! Smiley Happy

Level 1
I recently found just that, lil suv perfect for me w/ 1 owner & low miles. So excited. We emailed & he wanted payments to go through eBay, said he was being deployed in a week. I find out the car needs shipped here, included in price though he gets free 1x yr from military. I emailed him name, phone, address, allll.. 😲 Then called eBay to check payments. Immediately she sent me to fraud department 😡. Now I'm scared to flag the post here, he knows where I live!!! Do I let them handle it?? It'd be different if there was a phone # to call offerup & report it. Help???

@Myownself 

In most instances, this seller is not even in the US and will just move on to the next potential victim. It is a "numbers" game, so they can prey on suckers (not meant to offend you). This scam has been going on even before the existence of eBay, when there were print classifieds like the "Recycler" and "Pennysaver".

You can report with these instructuons on OU:

https://ask.offerup.com/Rules-policies/Report-block/887968531/Report-a-person-or-item.htm