Scam Cars & Truck Ads

Level 2
I almost fell for a scammer’s ad for a ‘too good to be true’ low priced truck for my son. It was a ‘selling for my sister contact be Gmail’ ad. I got a sob story response about how their son had died and they were selling for cheap to get rid of the memories. They said eBay was handling the transaction so I would have a Buyer’s Warranty. I needed to send the owner three $500 gift cards and eBay would ship the truck. I went on eBay and saw no 2004 Toyota Tacoma trucks for $1500. So I Googled the information I had and found out about these scams. These ads are all over the Cars&Trucks section. They are now using fake military addresses, hijacking real profiles and accounts to post their stock auto photos, asking for your email or phone number, etc. I have been reporting these ads every day for a month in my area, South Carolina and Atlanta. These scammers are ruining the reputation and integrity of OfferUp. The ads must be working because there are tons of them! Can OfferUp not assign someone whose it is to immediately delete these ads and hopefully turn in to authorities to catch these crooks? I have become a one person vigilante because of what almost happened to me. But I can’t keep this up (unless OfferUp wants to hire me to do this!) I read where OfferUp is going to have a separate OfferUp Autos app. This will be a haven for scammers if you don’t get ahold of this situation.
12 REPLIES 12
Level 1
I almost fell for this thank you for putting this in a discussion. Went to look for the ad yesterday and it was gone. Told me it was in pristine condition. Said she was in military and only contact through email. Said vehicle was in Nebraska and will be shipped, after going through eBay. It was too good to be true.
Level 1
Thank you. I am so glad you didn’t get taken! We have to be vigilant and stop these scammers.
Can they do anything with my info? Just got the same sob story & they tried to use offer up describing it has a buyers warranty. So, i started this offer up account to find it on here & low & behold i found this. They asked me for my info but can they get anything from my info besides the felony record & bad credit i have?
Level 9

@aklewis79  I guess if you have 2 dogs and a cat they may get that. LOL! You didn’t fall for the scam so I would think your ok. It’s a shame we can’t do a lot about it but report it so OfferUp can remove it. We just have to stay on top of it. Good thing you check out things before you send any money. Good job.

I work at a car lot and cant afford the 650$ offerup wants for the dealer app to post my cars on. I use cars for sale and let go facebook market place. So everyday we get new inventory i post photos and take the time to have an account on offerup. Most of the people i deal with never come through like they say they will! It is very frustrating to give detailed information on my vehicles over and over again with no avail. Are there any suggestions on how to get people to come out to the car lot? Also i feel bad for those people who are targeted by scammers. I truly am sorry you had to experience that. However you are very lucky to not have went through with the scam. I will watch out for people that approach me in the same manner. Thank you and god bless!
Funny you asked this question. I do the same thing. I got 100s of responses to the adds. Not one person came it. But yet I sold 2 cars Saturday and they came in because they saw my post on Facebook marketplace. The worse think is to answer all the questions and never get a sale.
Level 1
The post is back up on the 2004 Tacoma.
They say it is in EBay warehouse and they will make arrangements!

BIG SCAM!
Google it!
Level 9

@Mikegtz   Sure Glad you did your homework! People fall for this type of scam all the time. Glad people like you call it like you see it. Good luck my friend.

Neighbor
How about putting the price of the vehicle most cars here just say $1 or the usual click bait of a down payment or a monthly payment even on car dealerships website just have a “contact us” sign no price in sight those are ways car dealership waste peoples time that’s why car dealerships salesman are one of the most untrustworthy people and no one falls for the “ im fighting with the manager for you “ routine
People use these sites and apps because they want to see what are you asking for the item