Who taught you how to drive?

SOLVED
Level 4
Hey @0317 that's a interesting story 😁😁😁I'm 36 I did some crazy things at my younger days I never did hot wire a car it was a dint puller I used to use to take cars for joy rides at age 13
Level 9

@Doughboy1 back then , those cars and trucks from the 50s,,starter button on the floor that you pushed with your foot,,,,,the key was just an on off switch,,,,very easy to hot wire, just a matter of putting a single wire from post to post under the dash on the key switch, pretty much anyone could do it in 30 seconds with a piece of wire and seeing it done once.

my dad
Level 1
Good old dad. I can remember back as far as first grade sitting on my dad's lap driving to California on vacations. then after that I don't know why he would let me do it but in the fourth grade I remember driving down to Dairy Queen by myself and getting ice cream. That's a long time ago probably wouldn't do it nowadays
Highlighted
I learned when I was 14 about to turn 15 so I could get my permit. My mom taught me at the local high school parking lot.

My boyfriend taught me how to drive stick the following year when I turned 16. I liked driving shift. It's hard to find a new stick shift vehicle these days, and paddle shifting does not count.
Community Helper
Actually, self-taught...
didn't quite pass the driving part
of exam the 1st X round 😁
Stick not too fun to drive 🏁on flat terrain (in FL) 😎
I learned by watching my Mom. never asked questions just sat and watched. She always had an automatic and I watched here every move and learned that the break was always the left pedal and only needed to know what P and D meant on the gears until later. I guess I was between the age of 13-15, yes I lived in the city so we did not have tractor to drive or pasture to go dare devil on at the age of 8...lol! So I learned between 13-15 and by 16 I took her car (Mercury Cougar) to the corner store very slowly down a steep hill while she was a sleep. Only to get in trouble cause my younger siblings told on me. Anyway I got my license when I turned 18 and bought my own rust bucket. Never drove a stick, I have always thought it was way too much to be going while you drove but lots of people enjoy a stick so I say to each their own.
Level 1
I learned To drive from my father and a 1967 Checker marathon, there were plenty of well-kept dirt roads all over town and we would go driving and he taught me how to swap the chains on the back of the tire in the winter as here always had four Snow tires with studs as they were legal, chains to put on the rear tires and if we really got stuck (we rarely did) couple Tow straps as well as the tow chain and of course the trust to come along and a couple sleeping bags and always always some Allman joys! Eventually I drove well enough when I was about 14 or 15. I would drive as far as woodpecker rode 5 miles out of town as it was a one-way road going in and out and we would take a right on woodpecker Road, there are no other homes at a time and we would ride with woodpecker Road he would let the dog out at the intersection and then we would take off the dog with chase at that time it was Potlatch he was the biggest Melanie it I’d ever seen and I have pictures to prove it! It’s bizarre how big it was I really miss him. Anyway the ritual Of letting the dog out which of her dog it was over the years was always my favorite because the dogs would run like crazy and sometimes it would block the front of the car and I just love it! We were able to do that up until the 90s but to so many new homes being built on woodpecker all that we can no longer do that and I know longer live there with him. Not that I would like to put my Health Will not permit. Once we reach the end of the road they were aware of the tracks and across the railroad tracks was a small quarry where they would get sand and put it on the train and use it for whatever needs. The railroad tracks are the click great Alaskan railroad, they were following the sauce in a river up earlier from Wasilla and Anchorage and at this point we would take a right along the tracks Right along the right side of their berm we would drive on the gravel maybe 25 yards and then he could see his trailer left to the right and you couldn’t go much further because that’s on the cliff edge of the he’ll started that goes up towards our property the hill and go higher but not much and blow the railroad tracks is a steep hill going straight down to the river about 50 feet so the view was beautiful too I left was the entire amount McKinley mountain range and I never got tired of looking at it to this day I’m still in love with the view. There were a couple platters on the hills I go up and down to the A-frame and we would stop at the tops of them and sometimes take pictures Any raspberries that right along the road. But then the trail and go back into the woods and we leave in an hour the trees and during the rainy season the current corners in the trailer so improved just like railroad tracks we would get going as fast as we could and then it’s a hold on we hit that curb in the tires and go up in the air because the frame would be online mode I would slide around the corner like a rolder coaster muddy water would fly up over the windshield, it’s the thing that dreams are made of for a child. There are only five or six muddy turns like that and wants the wheels gain traction again we just keep on Goin hit hit the windshield wipers and I will go and finally reach the top of the hill and we go real title on the edge of the hill I dropped about 40 feet now above the railroad tracks on the left was our old house with no door just the white Styrofoam seat and a couple coffee cans to throw the toilet paper and as we didn’t want to fill the hole too fast. I suspect everyone knows that white Styrofoam makes the best I would housesit because when you sit on it it becomes the same temperature as your butt and that is awesome. We had a curtain instead of a door and that way we could look at the mountain range, it was an amazing view that many would pay money to see what her it was her toilet looking out that way. So Driving on the outhouse it passes on the left and then we take a wide right turn around a big circle of bushes on our road we had made and we would come around and come out right in front of the A-frame and park the dog to be a crazy parent and I’m looking for the bucket of water and we go inside and get some kindling set for tonight’s dinner. We would like kerosene lanterns and a couple candles on was coil packs we laid up for the mosquito repellent on the front porch. The dog would sleep Outside he was a bear protection. Wait make sure there is kindling for the mornings fire I was using pain and then stocking up with Birch and then shutting her down. Go to bed and climb in his arm he sleeping bags and wait for the mosquitoes to come to the face hole and scrap them dead one after another until The buzzing was gone and then you don’t suck your sleeping bag and you put your arms out and go to sleep. I know this is about driving and this is my driving experience because eventually he let me drive today for my back it was the funnest drive over. I drove that road and several CHECKERS and many dogs chasing behind. I haven’t heard of some property up there but I’m not sure I’ll ever get to use it even though I’ve always planned to retire there but now the property belongs to my son and my brothers 80 acres of prime real estate that will never see plowed roads or electricity. He split it up evenly between his most loyal employees and my brothers and me and my son. I hope that’s considered driving story. :-) Thanks I was ready to do some text talking and I love sharing stories just as much is reading them. Thank you and my full name is Brenan and I bought pretzels to share here.🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨🥨
Level 3
I too spent 20 years in Alaska, Anchorage to be exact, we lived at government hill and I was 15 and my mom taught me to drive she had an old Chevy impala, and from there on out it was history, a couple people tried before that but was too much with the freaking out and I finally said you drive, but my mom was calm and did great. Both my kids were born in Anchorage and we had a cabin up by gunsight mountain, and man the winters were amazing with the moon shining on the glistening snow, riding snow mobiles, sledding on tire inner tubes down "C" street hill and one time I hit the bump and the inner tube went from under me and I hit the snow packed hill so hard it knocked me out, yes, thats the life of children, we walked to school and never complained, and when it snows in oregon, I can drive in it because I learned in Alaska. I love sleeping Lady and the star on Alyeska mountain at Christmas, and I hear its really changed and has lots of crime and not the good ol anchorage it was. My brother still lives there and was a hunting guide, he took the guy from Texas that got the largest ever recorded bear. I miss Alaska and if I had a home up their I would go back. Thanks for stirring my fond memories.
Level 3
Hey, let's go back to Alaska, you have a piece of land and we will build a beautiful cabin and do some of the things like we are young, can't do it all, I'm 59 and in great Alaska shape.