Who taught you how to drive?

SOLVED
Level 9

I learned to drive when I was 12. My father taught me. He raced cars in  Virginia. It was a old dirt track. It was more crashup derby to me. LOL! My father told me, if you can drive a stick, you can drive anything. He’s gone now but he was right. I taught my daughter how to drive. She still drives a stick. When we first got in the car I told her , I have only one rule. If I say stop. You stop. She did great. I remember my first day behind the wheel with my father. He said ok. Give it gas and let the clutch out. Yeah! I did. I floored it and let the clutch out. We came out on the other side of a corn field. My father yelling, STOP! I did and we got out to look at the car. All the lights busted. Dents, windshield. He didn’t get mad. Back seat was filled with corn. Yes we had corn on the cob with dinner. He took me out every day. He didn’t give up. Just laughed. Well I’m 58 and doing good. No more corn. LOL! 

Community Helper
Cute memory @Jones68!
You were very fortunate to have had a patient, caring father at such a fun level in life. 😉 Thanks for sharing!
Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE Thank you. He never got angry. Was easy going. I thank him. My daughter couldn’t drive with my wife. She yelled a lot. Made my daughter not want to learn. I taught her the way my dad taught me. He never yelled or made you nervous. I did the same with my little girl. It was a fun time for me. I made sure it was fun My daughter too.  

Community Helper
As it should be... 😊
Have one & "only" one driving memory with my Dad lol
Stick!
L11
Level 8
@Mj_206
My dad taught me at 12 yrs. old. Not the best person to be teaching me. A boyfriend taught me to drive manual transmission at 14...that was fun!!! L11
My best friend taught me . She had a manual stick shift little car. She started driving at 14!!! By the time my dad brought me the Citation from hell, I already knew how to drive
Level 5
My uncle Eric
L11
Level 8
@Unity-is-Power
Sounds like you learned the hard way...lol...L11
Level 9

@L11 I kind of look at teaching your kids to drive as a right of passage. I look back on it and I can only smile. The look on her face as the truck started moving. The smile on her face as she finally learned how to park. Her fingers so white from holding the wheel. Watching her confident grow as time went by. Oh Man! Great Times. I’m glade it was me that taught her. Now it’s her turn. I believe she’ll do just fine. 

Highlighted
@Jones68. too sweet... It is a right of passage.... One that my dad didn't learn from his father (my dad had a super rough childhood). . My grandapa wouldn't buy him shoes much less a car. So I value all his efforts to be better than his dad was to him... From buying me the Chevy Citation (that leaked gasolne in the engine compartment to replacing that with a Cherry Red Firebird, t-top, stick shift all leather interior). I love my dad. Now with my son I'm restoring that broken right of passage.... And I hope to be as patiently impactful as I'm sure you were with your daughter...