Agreeing for meet up and no “show”

SOLVED
Level 1
After long conversation with buyers what should we do about “no-show”. I mean for example I had this guy talking to me that he’s interested in my item we agreed on a price then he says if I can drop it off at his house I said maybe he text me through OfferUp and address that was like a mini mart or gasoline station have not sure then I said that it was 40 minutes away from where I’m at and I asked if there was a possible way to meet halfway, then the buyer said he had no ride I said OK is there a way that you can confirm by sending like $20 through PayPal or something like that that way I could see that you are for sure going to meet me there and the buyer said I just have cash I really need it I wouldn’t do you wrong like that exact word said.
I said all right what time do you want to meet we agreed at 10 AM I said all right I’ll message you at 9am to verify, so nine came by and I messaged him I’m ready to go, he message back all right I’m here so I took off,I showed up and he wasn’t there and he messaged, never mind I just got one I thought he was kidding, but no he said I don’t want it anymore I said OK I just came back.
Is there a better way to deal with this or do we have to put up with stuff like this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1
Thanks I will try that.
26 REPLIES 26
Level 9
@Soluna
There are nothing you can do about no-show, other than accepting the fact that it is part of any APPS based business transaction.
I have about 40% no show. I usually send message at meeting time and wait 15 min then leave.
No need to stress over as it is part of business. Just make sure you meet then close to you so not waste too much time.
Level 1
You are right. I didn’t stress about it I just came back, I thought to my self if someone really wants what you are selling they will come to you or make an effort at least. But thanks for the support.
Tags (1)
Community Helper
@Soluna I agree with what
Dad_Tired is saying, just to add what works for me is telling the buyers to message me when they arrive at my meeting place two minutes from my location. saying I’ll be there in two minutes. since doing this it really cut down on no-shows. I totally understand people wanting to meet Halfway or having the items delivered. I’ve delivered in the past but after 9 out of 10 no-shows, I personally stopped delivering items and meeting halfway. but that’s totally up to each person to decide for them self’s. 😎🇬🇧🔚
Level 9
@Soluna that is a horrible way to change your mind. Wow!

The only better solution IMO, is never to drive that far to sell something. Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't even consider it. As others have said, stay close to home. I always start the Convo off with where I am located. If they decide initially that its too far we haven't wasted each other's time.
My responses are generally the same.
Buyer: is it available/I'm interested
Me: yes, it is available for pickup in *city* As stated, the price is firm. What time would you like to pick up?
Community Helper
~ Ciao´~ @Soluna
Same... The item was metal shelving to go in the garage for
Xtra storage.
Cleaned out a decent space to put the shelving, went through all the same stages... to confirming, etc.
When contacted seller was on way... noticed SOLD ! Que´ Sera Sera... 🌎✌
Level 1
Thanks I will try that.
Level 1
That’s actually a good tip. I will use the same reply next time. Thanks.
Level 1
Wow it happens. I learned allot from this community thanks
Level 1

There needs to be a list to post people who are rude and inconsiderate when they waste another person's time and gas when they do not show up at a meeting and not notifiy the other meeter about it. I think it's better to talk to people over the phone at least once before meeting them in person. I think people are less likely to lie and are more likely to be serious when they are willing to talk over the phone. It is ok for you as either the seller or buyer to become mad, rude and curse at the other person when she or he  wasting Your time.  It's your time and you can respond and get like that. I think some people need a knock upside their head for them to act right and be more considerate of others. Not only would such a person waste your time but they are probably wasting their time as well when they are not being serious. A good idea is to ask the buyer to arrive at the location and ask them to describe what is around them. If possible require them to take a picture of the location to show you where they are including a picture of their vehicle and of themself. If someone is serious and wants to get the item he or she should do all of this.