Asking for a lower price, getting the lower price then never following through?!?!?

Highlighted
Level 1
It's driving me up a wall. I have my item set to firm. A person asks for a lower price. I bend and lower the price or we go back and forth until we agree on a price. Then I ask when they want to meet up and I never hear from them again. Or......Wecgat they say they want it, we chat more. I think I'm getting asking price since my item is set to firm and the person hasn't even hinted to wanting it cheaper...yay....WRONG!!!!!! Suddenly as we are chatting about time and place, they want the item I have set to a firm $10...and they suddenly want it for $4. WHAT!?!? Seriously?? I really need to know why they do it. Do they get a rush because they got me to drop a firm item to less money sometimes between 75% & %50 less than my firm price. Why? Why say you're interested when you really have no intention of buying? The worst ones are the ones who browse late at night then forget the next day they even made an offer. It's so frustrating. I'm not working so right now this is supplementing my income and helping me keep the lights on and my taxes paid. In all honesty I'd rather keep the item and move on. I understand life happens but these people really don't care that they're messing with you. I saw the post about time limits and I think it's a great idea. I will never drive more than ten minutes to buy an item. I certainly never drive more than a few minutes when I'm selling the item. In fact I post pick up only and I have people asking me to drop the item off? I think if you can't pick it up right away then don't even bother asking to buy it.
76 REPLIES 76
Level 1
I use two more apps other than OfferUp to sell stuff. I think it helps if you add in the description that the price is firm in all caps and other specifications in all caps. Whether you all caps or mark as firm, I think there will always be people offering low because who doesn't want to try to get a lower price. So as long as they don't try to lowball you in person, all we could do is say, "No, thank you" and move on to the next buyer.
Level 1
Unfortunately, there are trolls on here. You'd think they'd stay on Twitter, but I guess they don't have anything else to do.
Tags (2)
Level 1
Ya I have been using 2 other sites as well, including OfferUp. I get the same things on the other sites as well as here. I agree it is so stupid, and i think it's compulsive buyers that see something, make an offer and then it goes through the buyers mind, "well maybe it's not worth my time"or "never mind, I don't know what I was thinking". I don't know that's what I am guessing, and I will be honest I have done that too in the past. Lol! I have had some texting conversations that lead to asking me about personal stuff, it's kind of weird when it goes that route.

and the same thing happens on the bigger Ecommerce sites as well. It is what it is, and it is frustrating but we soldier on Smiley Happy

Level 1
I do certainly understand the irritation with people who do not respond promptly or in a timely manner.

However, I am one of those people who will ask if there is wiggle room or offer what I am willing to pay even on an item that says firm price. I often say, "I don't mean to be disrespectful but i am willing to offer X amount." Especially if I am shopping around with multiple people on the same item.
Sometimes it goes my way, other times they simply say that the price is firm and we move on.

I do this not to haggle or disrespect but because at times what I am looking for isn't close by and I have to drive 1 hour away.

Just my two cents.

I literally cannot stand that. I also cannot stand when folks act like your selling price is too much. Like, you pay over $300 for an item and you want to sell it for $125 but folks low ball you talking about "70$." First of all, the dollar signs GOES IN FRONT of the number value. Secondly, it literally says "FIRM PRICE" in the description box. Why can't you pay $125? You pay for a broke $500 iPhone 6s Plus that's probably stolen but you can't pay $125 for what I'm selling.

Level 1
Omg I dislike this too and it has happen to me too I decided to stay strong and firm bcs if I don't then I allow those bad buyers to come and in a way waisted my energy and they won't even buy an item so I'll say stay strong and firm Ull build ur reputation and then u don't got to deal with that
Level 1
Happens all the time, usually I just don't respond and not waste my own time.
Level 1
Set your price and stick to it bump every few days . If the item don't sell repost different pictures 😎