Asking for a lower price, getting the lower price then never following through?!?!?

Thank you

I'm new here but I wanna add my 2 cents . . . I'm an artist trying to build a little business to support myself. I've done a few art & craft fairs and a few online marketplaces like Etsy Ebay and now OfferUp. There's one really irritating thing I see at live shows/fairs that drives me bat-sh*+ crazy. Other artists and craftspeople and makers who lower their prices! Don't Do That! It really makes the problem worse. You just are reinforcing to the buyer community that your craft (and by association mine and all the other makers) is NOT  WORTH MONEY and your lower prices give them the gall to expect the same from the rest of us. We all have to have FIRM APPROPRIATE PRICING and NEVER GIVE IN TO BUYERS & BULLIES. I don't even like Black Friday Sales of handmade items and artwork but I'll do it to get the attention. But that's it. Thanks for reading my rant. Smiley Happy 

Level 1
This is exactly why I stopped selling on that huge site that starts with "e" and ends in Bay! My business partner and I were doing well, getting 30% of the final selling price on items we sold for clients. It was great. Until sellers listed their items starting at $.99, and if that wasn't bad enough, that auction site allowed $0.01 starting bids! Ugh. All of a sudden selling online changed for everyone.
Sellers had to take whatever they could get, taking a loss much of the time, after fees were paid to the site and PayPal too.
OfferUp is much better, but sellers must stick to their guns, not back down on a "firm" price. Buyers will buy the item if they really want it, especially at prices we find here on OfferUp. If they don't buy something because we, as sellers, want what's fair for ourselves, they most likely wouldn't have bought it anyway.
Oh, and trolls? They're everywhere, sadly. Unfortunately I fall for their antics almost every time because it's my nature to give people the benefit of doubt. Don't let mean people ruin your day or discourage you into giving up. Don't allow trolls to "win".
Stick to your guns in all matters.
Just sell better stuff
Level 3
I get this kind of messages all day, at some point I think that people are bored at home and have nothing to do and they think like "oh let me chat with this guy anyway I'm not doing anything" because after all the talking, and after setting up the price,you don't hear anything back from them... And when you look back you've spent 1 hour chatting with someone for nothing (when you could do something else)
Level 1
I know, right? On another app I had three people contact in the middle of the night about motorcycle boots I listed. Seriously, at 3am? And they gave me a phone number to text or email to reply to instead of using the app's message service. I'm assuming they're not legit, probably want my phone number or email address.
Unfortunately I did reply to one girl thru email before I realized I was making a big mistake. Hopefully I won't get hacked.

Because the people or “buyers” on this app are for the majority rude and Those of use selling are their tools of entertainment. I’m tired of it too. I buy and sell on OfferUp and never ever behave the way “potential” buyers do to me. I wish there was more we could do about it. I’m at the point that I’m just rude to everyone on here and if they show great! Then they get to meet the real me a very kind giving person that just wants to pass my loved things on to someone that will appreciate them and make a little money, too. I hope things get better! Sorry for your trouble but hopefully people like us can try to change things. Just like Craigslist changed over the years before apps came into play.

It is unfortunate, but it happens EVERYWHERE. Even face to face in a brick and mortar store. Try not to let the bad ones drag you down, focus on the good ones. They are the ones worth your time and energy.

Level 1
I always place the price higher than I want for the item, history has shown that no matter if the item you are selling is a $1000.00 item and you place it for $20 they will still offer lower than that. I don't know if it's human nature but I usually land where I want to be at the end of the day.
Tags (3)
Level 3
This happens to me every day. It doesn’t matter if I clearly state price is firm, no delivery, pick up only, etc., many people still want it for less, want it delivered, want me to call them, etc. I have over 250 successful sales on offerup and unfortunately no matter what I say in the ad, people still ask. My best advice is to just hang in there, keep the communication within the app, and just block no shows and rude customers. I also don’t sell past night fall. Good luck to you!