Bad Transactions

Hey OfferUp fam,
I recently had a transaction with my buying a Nintendo Switch that was advertised with 4 games. I offered $300 for the whole package, and the seller accepted. I met the seller in a bar parking lot of her choice, and we began our transaction. She told me 3 games were downloaded on the switch, which I found fishy, and that everything was inside the Macy's bag. I handed her the money, and began to look at the items while she counted the money. There was one cable in the whole bag that was visible, so I asked and it was supposedly a charging cable. I went to my car with a charging outlet and tried it but it didn't fit the console. I attempted to tell her but she said that it was the wire. I said no again and she said that that's not her wire. That she has an iPhone. This confused me, and I attempted to get the money back. She goes inside and gives the money to her brother that I found out in another message on OfferUp. I threatened to get the police involved and she says her brother is a cop at the local police department. I have a picture of her license plate. I have no clue if I can even do a police report on this incident. I was obviously a part of a fraudulent transaction. I filed a complaint through OfferUp, and she listed her item as sold to another buyer to keep her rating high. Is there anything else I could possibly do to help my situation?
15 REPLIES 15
Level 9
Reporting her to offer up as a start in a smart thinking to take down a license plate number. The whole line about her brother being a cop was probably a way to try and intimidate you and make you believe there's no point in calling the police. I would call the police and explain what happened and see if they can do anything. It is worth the try. And sooner is better. Oh in thE future never hand over the cash until you have examined the merchandise. And if the person has a problem with letting you do that then you should probably walk away sorry you had such a bad experience believe it or not not all people out there are low life thieves I hope things go better for you

OfferUp employee

@Pwhite92 I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Please report them through the app asap so we can investigate. This type of behavior absolutely does not follow our guidelines or principles. 

Level 1
For future transactions I would ask to see the product first before handing over the money. If they don't agree, don't waste your time.
Level 9
What a nightmare, so sorry that happened to you. This world has some serious wack-jobs
Level 1

I would have asked for his name and badge number then still call. They could have gotten in deeper poo for impression of a peace officer..........

Community Helper
Wow 😮 @Pwhite92 I totally agree with everyone here, what a scammer, I also would report this to the police 👮‍♀️, people like this should never have an account on OfferUp. His account should be close immediately! Totally ridiculous they think they can get away with that, from now on try to meet at people at safe zone like a police station lobby.

So sorry to hear this Smiley Sad

I agree ALWAYS inspect the merchandise BEFORE handing over the cash. And yes, WALK AWAY if it feels suspect. You did right to report to OfferUp, you should have followed through with a trip to the police department with photo of license plate. Meeting AT the Police Department parking lot to complete a transaction is also wise.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I was just scammed myself. I bought a phone from here that was bad. It was a phone that was disconnected from Verizon due to no payment, and that little punk told me it was clean. I am out $100 and in tears. I am sooo mad and I am sad for you.
Level 1
Hi how do you report someone on this app? I bought a phone from someone today and need to report them.