Bad deal

SOLVED
Level 2
So when I sold a new iPhone XS to someone here’s what happened,

When I meet up with them and showed them the phone they refused to give it back , began laughing and said they can’t give me what they promised on the deal ,they decided to give me less and not let me get my phone back .

I had contacted them several times and they did not reply to me...I am forced to go to the local authorities and retrieve my $1,000 back from this con artist.

His name on the site was 818 deals keep a look out
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9
Sure you can try and file a police report regardless.

Also, I would advise against contacting the user further or threaten to file a police report against them, that way they don't disable their account.

Do you have the original box?

The IMEI # should be on there which the police can track.

The phone company it was previously with, could still have that information if you're missing the box.

OfferUp can provide law enforcement with the account information after you file a police report.

The department will assign you a detective who will gather the information for you and try to make an arrest.

All this assuming they believe you have a case.

They will think it is odd that you did not file the moment it happened to you.

In the end it is a learning experience.

Bring a friend if possible and meet in a well lit populated area with cameras, next time. And make a police report as soon as possible.
6 REPLIES 6
Level 9
Hope you took a picture of their plates or them, otherwise it may be more difficult to prove to the police after the fact.
Community Helper
Welcome to the Community forums
@Recon9966!
Level 2
Can I still go to the police and still explain and tell them it wasn’t his phone or mine, it was a family members and they want it back...and he doesn’t want to give back my phone ...it won’t add would it ?
Highlighted
Level 9
Sure you can try and file a police report regardless.

Also, I would advise against contacting the user further or threaten to file a police report against them, that way they don't disable their account.

Do you have the original box?

The IMEI # should be on there which the police can track.

The phone company it was previously with, could still have that information if you're missing the box.

OfferUp can provide law enforcement with the account information after you file a police report.

The department will assign you a detective who will gather the information for you and try to make an arrest.

All this assuming they believe you have a case.

They will think it is odd that you did not file the moment it happened to you.

In the end it is a learning experience.

Bring a friend if possible and meet in a well lit populated area with cameras, next time. And make a police report as soon as possible.

@Recon9966 

This sounds more like seller's remorse.

In the event that your story is "true", goto the police and file a report. It does not cost you anything if you are telling the truth.

It sounds like this transactions occured in the SFV? If so, call the West Valley Divsion and ask for Lt. Kelley, as he deals with these types of crimes . I would list the ph#, but it is not allowed.

Level 2
Hey UPDATE: SO I attempted to file a police report and well the police officer began yelling me and giving me attitude obviously because he’s racist and doesn’t like the fact that I’m a bearded man , they did nothing and said THE BUYER IS THE VICTIM not me.

I explained to them that I wasn’t the owner of the phone and they told me to leave , because it would cost them to much to locate it and it wouldn’t hold up in court, it was very embarrassing.

I’ll have to get a lawyer and pay $2K for court approval.

Thank you for the support, I appreciate it . 💚