Beware of a scammer

SOLVED

Hello everyone, I just wanted to stop by and inform you of a person named Thomas here on Offer Up. He wanted to buy my item I had listed and sent me a check from a business via UPS w/tracking. I was selling the item for $200 and the check he went was for $1350.50 to cover delivery charges from a company he hired to pick it up. Long story short it was a fraudulent check. As soon as I received it and seen the amount a flag was raised. He also stated to deposit immediately and send him proof so he can delivery service to pick. I contacted the business they the check was from and the owner had no idea who this guy was. The check info was from his company acct. and was very thankful I contacted. The bank now has the check and is taking care of everything with the help of the police.
Just be aware if he contacts you for purchases.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
@KimmieD516--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I hope you have an opportunity to interact with other buyers and sellers, explore the different forums, & share your thoughts and feedback on different topics of discussion.

Thank you for your time and help. I really appreciate the heads up, & it's unfortunate that you had to experience such a negative situation. Thank you again!! I hope it all works out!!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Level 9
@KimmieD516 yeah that is quite frequent scamming it is OU version of Nigerian mail scam. I usually give local FBI address to send the check.
This is mostly local buy and sell so anything that is suspicious will be suspected for scam.
Community Helper
@KimmieD516--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I hope you have an opportunity to interact with other buyers and sellers, explore the different forums, & share your thoughts and feedback on different topics of discussion.

Thank you for your time and help. I really appreciate the heads up, & it's unfortunate that you had to experience such a negative situation. Thank you again!! I hope it all works out!!

View solution in original post

Someone has my account !!! I keep getting messages for different states. They want to know if I want to come take a look at there expensive items . They even show my profile picture and they ask say my real name. I am so upset I do not want to look bad on here. Whoever has hijack my account I would love to know who it is.
Someone has my account !!! I keep getting messages for different states. They want to know if I want to come take a look at there expensive items . They even show my profile picture and they ask say my real name. I am so upset I do not want to look bad on here. Whoever has hijack my account I would love to know who it is.
Community Helper
@LUCY-2195--Hrllo & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! Take this opportunity to interact with other buyers and sellers!! I'm sorry that you had had issues with your account. Please reach out to customer care & they can assist you with your account & guide you as to the next steps at :

OfferUp Customer care
https://offerup.com/support/new/

--I hope this helps!!
Level 1
Hi, Kinmie

I just read your message regarding this Scammer! I need to know if anything came about it?

I just recently encountered the same exact situation.. Please let Me know ASAP!!!
Level 1
I had something similar with craigslist. It is a scam to get you send the buyer the extra money. If the check is under a certain amount the bank will not put a hold on it. The bank will give you the money. After you send the person the extra money is when your bank and you will find out that the check is no good. I had this happen with a cashiers check i received. Luckily i checked it out before i deposited the check.
Level 1
Scammers are coming on this app more often as I thought. They're being more conversational compared to the past where you can automatically tell that they're scammers. I've have two incidents already in within 2 weeks. Luckily I knew what to look out for. (Pay pal and Checks)
Highlighted
Level 1
Hi, thank you for posting this. The exact same thing happened to me yesterday!! I am still beside myself and I had no clue what was going on, nor had I read all of these postings before yesterday. Who has time, for God's sake? It's so pathetic that these low lives are out there trying to steal from, us instead of finding a job to survive like decent people do. I contacted the bank and the Attorney General's Office. Today I am giving the actual check to the FBI. I just can't believe this...
Thanks again.