Buyers showing interest but then not following through

Highlighted
Level 1
This is a message to the Sellers on this site. Actually, it's also to the buyers. Am I the only one who has experienced buyers showing interest, but then disappearing, not even saying thank you, not interested, etc. I'm a young guy but my parents raised me right. I was taught that manners are important. I think that if you ask a question and you get an answer, it's polite to say thank you. I mean, after all, it does take time to respond to inquiries. And if you must decline a purchase, it would be polite to give a reason so that the seller has feedback for future items. And a simple thank-you is not much to ask for. It costs nothing.

One more thing, and I'm not trying to complain too much, this is just an observation...when someone asks you about an item and after lengthy discussions about it, they say something like "oh I did not realize you were as far away as you are," it really is frustrating and makes me wonder why people are not looking up somebody's profile to begin with. It's a waste of time for both the buyer and the seller.

Can anyone empathize / identify with what I've said above? Thank you all. Glad to be part of this community despite some challenges. Have fun everyone!
8 REPLIES 8
Level 9

Hi @BobBriarwood,,,,Welcome to Offerup Forums,,,,,,,,,i think if you read through the forums ,,,,,,,,you will find that ever seller pretty much has to deal with the same thing,,,,people are people,,,,,,,,not all as polite as maybe we would like them to  be,,,,,,,,,,that includes sellers,,,,,,both buyers and sellers ,,,,,seems to me,,,,,,,,,could stand to learn patience.       Im an old guy,,,,,,not a young guy like you ,,,ive learned that when you are the seller,,,,,,,,you are just gonna have to answer a lot of questions from people.,,,,some are a joy to talk with,,,,,some are down right rude and a pain,,,,,,,,,but  i think thats just the way it is,,,,,,,the trick is ,,,,,,dont let it bother you,,,,people are not gonna all act the way we want them too.,,,,,,,,,,again welcome to the forums,,,,lots of good information here,,,,,,,,

Level 1
Thank you. I appreciate the sage advice.
Level 1
Thank you, Shupat.
Level 9

Hello @BobBriarwood!

Welcome to OfferUp. Happy to have you join the community.

Take a look around the different forums and ask questions, join conversations, hand out a kudo or two, and earn badges.

I am in your Amen corner. I certainly can empathize / identify and validate your perspective.

Community Helper
You're not the only one!! The main thing is follow through. I too receive a lot of interest, continuous communication, agree to meet/time & place agreed & then nothing. That's all I'm saying--its the follow through!! Thanks for sharing your observations & experiences!! I totally agree!!
NR2
Level 1
Yes I am finding it very frustrating. I am a seller and I have had 4 potential buyers show interest only to never respond. I mean what is the point? I assume they are asking the same question to 5 people too and looking for the best price maybe.
Community Helper
@NR2-I have spoken with a few buyers when I've experienced the same thing, & they often say I had every intention to buy, & then something came up, or I had to turn around & poo ay this or that....not to justify, but life happens & sometimes we all handle situations differently. I think the best case scenario is when someone has a change of heart, just be honest & say that. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!! You're not the only one.
Level 1
All the time, I am so done. Unless I know 100% you're in your car on your way to me. Its first come first serve. Sure I work with some but even when you have something for free people just cant seem to show up! Makes you lose faith in humanity.