*Check Scam*

Level 1
Thanks! I am so confused with all of this( obviously new and took on 4 apps at once)! Learned my first lesson with a lady being so nice, buying $148 of items, as well as the $60 something for shipping, asking if she could send me a check for both. She seemed trustworthy and had been a member since 2016, with all the things- from payment method to Facebook filled out. Thinking that she would send a check afterwards. I told her that she could just send after she received all of her boxes, and liked it. afterwards, one message, "np about the check", and never heard, nor would she responds to my texts. Learned the hard way, right before Christmas! anyhow, sorry to go on and on! It started ot as a simple "Thank you". One more question, though??? How do I use my PayPal to deposit the balance I have, along with use it to pay. Since I haven't deposited the balance, can I use that to pay for something? Sorry to hit you with all these questions, I just can't get anything, other than articles, from OfferUp! Thanks Again! 🙃
Hi @Dawnie10 sorry to hear that happened to you. 😢 Offerup has their own payment system. They aren't linked up with paypal. I know some people have used paypal but you won't be able to file a claim with Offerup if you recieve a bad item because Offerup only protects you if you pay using their payment system.
Highlighted
We just experienced an offer like this today. It sounded a bit too good to be true. The offer may be legit but we’re not going to risk it. Thank you!
Community Helper
@Psychonurse Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Psychonurse you made the right call!
Sorry to say people get all kinds schemes offered to them trying to scam good honest working people out of their money. As well as trying to get personal information. always do your research before hand and trust your gut feeling.
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. There were several red flags that occurred to me including why would this person send a mover to pick up an item weighing less than 5 pounds, taking up less than a cubic foot, and why would they pay $50 more than the asking price just for me "hold on to" the item. Sketchy business. I'm glad I looked into it and found this post.
Community Helper
@SamAZ rule of thumb for me, if they want to pay with anything other than the app or cash, I dont do busy with them. Anything could go wrong if you dont use those.
Level 1
I currently have a Wedding dress for sale and I received a check for almost $2,000 over the agreed upon amount. There were too many red flags and I had also stressed that it needed to be a certified cashier's check and I got a payroll check.
When I let the so called buyer know that I was not able to deposit the check and the terms we agreed upon were not met he replied to just deposit it in any ATM and get him a copy of the deposit slip and to get it done like yesterday.
Nope not going to do this. I am wondering if there is any way for this person to make it so I am unable to sell anything else besides this dress?
Community Helper
They cant make you not sell the dress to anyone else. Report and block them. Then continue to try to sell the dress.
Level 1
This is exactly what happened to me ! Per my post ! The man that contacted me was named Jeff and same thing his account was active or created the same month mine was ! Super fishy and on high alert now !
Community Helper
@KSSunflower--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! I hope you take this amazing opportunity to interact with others, & provide feedback, as well as share your experiences!! Welcome!!

I'm sorry that you had a negative encounter. Typically when someone sends you a check & it smells suspicious/too good to be true, most likely it is. That person can't prevent you from selling to another buyer. In fact, you should report the person (for sending a fraudulent check), & block them from further contact with you.

OfferUp Customer care
https://offerup.com/support/new/