*Check Scam*

Community Helper
@TheTidyMOM--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! It's unfortunate when buyers or sellers scam because it causes people not to have as much trust in one another. Thanks so much for your time and sharing your thoughts!! Welcome!!
Highlighted
Level 1
I think I have a same problem!! I tried to sale my sectional for $1300. Buyer send me online check for mobile deposit in my account and I already did it.. what can be my next step!! Please help me out with some suggestions.. I don’t share any of my information yet though..
Tags (1)
Level 1
Have the funds cleared?
Same thing happened to me today. Was going to pay $50 extra to hold the item for 2 business days and would send a check. Once it clears they would have movers come and pick up the tiny item. Told them sorry cash only and haven’t heard anything from them since.
Community Helper
@Skylar526--Thank you for sharing your experience. It's a great thing that you didn't fall for this scam. Too often we speak about this type of thing, & people are still believing that somehow there situation might be different, & they won't be scammed/ripped off--but then it happens.
Incredible.. same messages with a guy who said his name was Eric.

But I may not be able to come look at it as planned. I just had a change in my work schedule but I’m OK with the condition as seen on the advert and the price. I’m gonna make purchase with a Cashiers Bank Check via UPS. I’ll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you receive check, cash it and have your money in hand.
Hope you are cool with that

Movers would actually come for the pick up after your check clears and you got your money in hand okay
This just happened to me the bank teller instantly knew it was a fake check.very similar story but it his niece hit me up saying "hey my uncle want to buy this,text him 14133083161 his name Mr.freeman" he sent me a check two days after for 1790 more than what I was asking.He said give the movers the rest because they going to get some more stuff for him,he's not local.the check came and I went to deposit but the Vystar teller instantly knew.my mom wanted me to let them come and she was going to call the police.
I really wish I could Of seen this be4 I did that same thing. First time n last time I’m selling anything!!
Level 1
Usually they wait for you to cash the check and want you to take a picture of your account information, I know I know it sounds insane but it happens. I got a email once asking if I would place a Mt. Dew car wrap on my Audi in which I admit i agreed, then all of a sudden I get this check delivered by FedEx with a check typed out for like $1,9000. I knew what it was due to the large envelope with the guys actual return address lol (dumba**) so I used my iPhone and documented myself opening the envelope and then I went to the back and showed them the video and gave them the check and the response I got shocked me, the nice woman from Chase started laughing saying another one! So yeah scammers are not the smartest people on here but I’m glad you lost no money. Happy shopping....