Concerns of advertisment on offerUp

Highlighted
Level 1
Hello, my name is Ally! I been on offerup for some time but never knew they had a community page which is cool! I have a question about advertising local business's. I see alot of people advertising there appliance, plumbing, carpet cleaning..etc on offerup. They do not get their post removed? why is this? I have tried myself advertising for someone and it automatically took my post off within seconds. I don't understand why these other individuals get to keep their post up? Thanks for the help!
Tags (2)
24 REPLIES 24
OfferUp employee

@Ally0912 Hey Ally! The online community is a new exciting place we've created for everyone Smiley Happy I'm so happy you're liking it!

As for your question, we do allow small businesses, dealers, and second-hand stores on OfferUp. When browsing, we try and limit their posts to the ‘Search Everything’ feed but you may sometime see posts in other categories.

If you see these and think they are not following our guidelines, please report them so our team can look into their accounts. When you are trying to share your own, are you making sure to follow our posting rules? What type of services are you trying to post?

Level 9

You should clarify that INTANGIBLES are NOT allowed.  Any type of services, like computer/phone repair, carpet cleaning, etc. are NOT allowed as indicated in  the TOS agreeement.

Tags (2)
Level 3
I, among others, think it's not very fair, nor right, to allow retail commercial businesses to post ads. You say 'small' businesses? I see Walmart, Kohls etc...They are HUGE. I also see gun stores offering guns for sale...which you strictly prohibit. Then there are the appliance stores and car dealerships that drown out people's ads because those large retail commercial businesses posts SO MANY !! How is this a community based app then? How is this fair at all to the actual 'regular' folk who have built this app and made it what it is today, if your just going to allow those other things to happen? Where do you draw the line for a business? If you allow 'small' businesses only...well, that rule has been broken. If we wanted to pay RETAIL PRICES and support horrible companies like Walmart for one example...we could shop at those big commercial stores online. Alot of us like to re-use and upcycle for environmental purposes too, instead of buying new. Is it that these companies bought their way in and 'offer up' couldn't resist the almighty dollar or? Alot of us sure can't figure out why Offer up is allowing this. Please help us understand.
Thank you in advance.
Level 9
Hello @Ally0192
Welcome to the forum. I see where you indicated that you just discovered our community page. I would like your opinion on a topic based on your experience with learning new information about our fabulous OfferUp community.
Do you think an OfferUp Crash Course 101 for new members would be beneficial? What do you need to help you be better informed?
Level 1
Thanks Elin! I appreciated all the information you told me! I tried posting for carpet cleaning to get my fiance more advertising for his business but it was taken down right away. Not sure why but it was my first time posting a service.
Community Helper
@Ally0912 welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,
Hi Ally, just to add to what Elin Community manager was saying, and your question why are your post get removed right away, it could happen if you are posting duplicate posts in the same category, OfferUp automatically removed these posts. not saying that’s your issue just saying it could be. Have a great week. 😊
Level 9

@Hotrod....The post was mos likely removed since intangible serrvices are NOT ALLOWED.  It is rather clean in the guidelines.  All services related posts are not allowed as of thie reply. Perhaps one day, OF will have a "Services" category, but as of now, ads for services are prohibited.  Please try to comprehend what you read.

Level 9

@stacee293...You do realize that Walmart and Kohl's PAYS OfferUP to advertise on their site, as they are clearly indicated ad "paid/advertised ads"?   Currently, this is how OfferUP monetizes the site, as they are bleeding money.  

Community Helper
@Lapua trust me I’m totally aware of what’s OfferUp guidelines are, please refer to my solutions, and I do comprehend what I’m reading, I’m giving more information to @stacee293 Thanks for sharing you option. Have a great day 👍