Fake Offers

What do i need to do so i can get my money back from a guy selling and sold me counterfeit coins? I can see maybe one being fake but 3 of them, noway. This site hasn't helped at all with anything. Do i take matters in my own hands,does offer up actually step up or do i contact authorities?
12 REPLIES 12
Level 1
I would notify authorities. I think that it is fraud and deception.
I was ripped off of 170 dollars on a supposed ps4 that ended up being a cable box, called 911 and I guess the girl supposedly was no longer at the house so I have to eat the 170 and I will probably no longer be selling on offerup it's a shame 1 bad seed has to ruin it for the good honest people who would NEVER do that to others. Sorry to hear man I hope you get your money back.
Level 9
Did you report this to the OfferUp team if not I think that's a good first step. They do actually investigate these types of incidence and may be able to assist you and or the police.
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 9
@Davecrockhunter

Contact OfferUp support, they'll guide you and work with local police as far as they are able.

But, I would just cut my losses.

Why didn't you test together at a local pawn shop or ask for appropriate paperwork if available?

Learn from it I guess.

OfferUp can only provide message chains to authorities.

Don't know how else they can help except work with the authorities in that regard.
He said he had limited transportation and I had to drive out to him and then it was in the evening and it's kind of hard to test you know I was going to break my scales out to the way some coins in a public place but the coin says it's .999 silver anyways just like all the other ones that I bought that are actually real the fake ones are supposed to say fake or replica on them but also this guy was acting like you know nothing about them about coins in general now all of a sudden I see he's got another a different new page setup with his name on it and he's got a couple more valuable coins on there that I think he's trying to get over on somebody
Level 3
If you FELL red flags that’s a “ Leave that alone”. I had a similar one a lady with stamps she said basically the same thing, felt bad for her at first and I was thinking about driving to her then something told me to wait and see what her next move was going to be,,,, sure enough couple weeks later she was back. I opted out
Level 3
If you FELL red flags that’s a “ Leave that alone”. I had a similar one a lady with stamps she said basically the same thing, felt bad for her at first and I was thinking about driving to her then something told me to wait and see what her next move was going to be,,,, sure enough couple weeks later she was back. I opted out
Tags (1)
Hml
Level 4
If you know where he lives you can sue in small claims. Wow this is first I heard of a real rip off! I'm sorry for you.
Hml
Level 4
Omgosh. I ve been on here for 5 years and I guess it's the area. I sold out of l.a. and never encountered so much thievery!!