Fake jewelry

SOLVED
Level 1
I think there should be a way to prevent some people from selling fake jewelry as its real
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@charswildart 

Once the item is exchanged for cash, the deal is done. You have no obligation towards the buyer. She decided to hand over her money when she could of declined to buy it.

If she was so concerned, she could have asked to meet at a jewelry store or a pawnshop to obtain a 3rd party evaluation.

7 REPLIES 7
The best thing to do prior to purchase is to test your interested gold or silver jewelry with a rare earth magnet. If it is attracting even in the slightest amount, that's a sure sign that the item is GF(gold filled) or coated metal with sterling silver. Also on clasps and connecting rings, look for the break in the ring from when the item was assembled. If the item is a high dollar piece these rings will be sotered together and near impossible to see the break line from assembly. Finally anything gold, actually gold typically is made with pride and there for has a grade stamp along with the goldsmiths manufacturer brand near the grade. No 14K stamp, typically not a genuine product. Goodluck, hope this helps.
Level 1
always say you got a tester with you so they no before
A rare-earth magnet will not be attracted to costume jewelry unless it’s gold-over-steel. If the jewelry is gold-over-brass or gold-over-silver, the only reliable test is an acid test, and even that might miss it if it has ~10 micron or more of gold plating. The 14k and ITALY stamps are easily faked; in fact they’re the most common on costume jewelry. Little known fact: the minimum grade for gold jewelry for sale in Italy is 18k, they do not allow less (14k, 10k) to be sold to consumers.
Level 3
I need help. I'm Selling Jewelry that I know is real. I recently sold a ring. She examined the ring and we sat and talked for nearly 30 minutes. We leave. She then started writing me saying she now sees copper and there is no stamp on the ring. I feel horrible and agree to exchange with her a different ring. But something is just bugging me about this. So I went to a jewelry store with a few of my other rings. Apparently it's common on sterling rings to "see copper tone" and the ring just needs to be cleaned. I already have her a smoking deal on the items she bought and I really dont want to give that big of a discount on the ring she wants to exchange for. Am I obligated to exchange?

@charswildart 

Once the item is exchanged for cash, the deal is done. You have no obligation towards the buyer. She decided to hand over her money when she could of declined to buy it.

If she was so concerned, she could have asked to meet at a jewelry store or a pawnshop to obtain a 3rd party evaluation.

Level 3
Thanks. I went in to a jewelry store and learned a lot of helpful information about jewelry. I didn't know that when they resize a ring it removes the stamp!! And many vintage pieces it's worn off. I've added to my listings that I'm happy to meet at a jewelry store!! Thanks
Highlighted
Community Helper
Thanks for the info @charswildart