Furniture stores and car dealers flooding feed

Level 3
First there were the car dealers clogging up the feed. Now the furniture dealers with their catalog pictures are flooding the feed. What happened to neighbors selling to neighbors? Or real people selling to real people? My feed is so full of box stores and car dealers I can't even find real people to buy or sell to without spending way to much time here. I think it's time to slow down and go back to what this was meant to be. You and me selling a little here and there to each other. Big business has eBay and other things. I've been here a little while sold my share of items but it's almost impossible now with so much commercial business here. I trust offer up to find a solution. But if we don't speak up about it they don't see the problem. Thanks for letting me express my opinion. I know I'm not alone
6 REPLIES 6
Level 9

Hi, 

I build rustic furniture and have turned a hobby into a business and sell on offerup. If it wasn't for offer up o wouldn't have a business because I can't afford to a storefront and hate eBay and don't want to ship  stuff when the shipping costs for an item would be more than what I charged  for it. There are a lot of people like me who make furniture and sell on offer up not all is box store as you say. Try looking in a specific category for whatever your looking for that's what I do. Its faster then trying to scroll through everything on the main feed. Offer up is for everybody and I'm sorry you think it should only be for people selling their unwanted items only. You could always try letgo or better yet Craigslist oh and its not the "clogged feed" making it difficult to sell stuff because people do look in categories and not just the feed. You have to be proactive repost your listing every few days 

Level 1
I agree 💯. Free advertising for car dealerships and furniture stores.
Level 3
Hi jd41,
My comments were not addressed to the small business on here but the box stores who flood the feeds with the same picture of a couch, out of a magazine, 20 times in a row in every category on the app. It was for the car dealers who advertise their down payment as their price to get you to click on their page. It's for the car lots who post pictures of cars 20 times in 20 categories that have nothing to do with automobiles. It's for the tire dealers who take pictures of their sign and make it say dog walker but when you click it his tires are listed and does this over and over 30 times just changing what the business is. Posting under construction, house sitter, groomer, rehab worker, car washer.... On and on. The feeds even if you use the search engine are clogged with these people in the wrong category trying to slide under all the rules like they don't apply to them. I use Lettgo by the way and they are getting slammed also. The good people of Offer Up will brainstorm and come up with a band-aid in the near future I hope. Until then it's our use of these forms that let them know how it is effecting each one of us.
By the way my items are not junk and not garage sale left over. I too have a small business rehabing goods from estate sales and warehouses. At the time tho 90% of my items are from my husband that recently passed along with my Mother. They are treasures to me.
One more thing. I am a 97 on OfferUp with over 400 + sales. I think I know how to use the app to sale and buy my things. Thank you for the suggestion of Craig's list and Letgo assuming I'm a newbie just complaining. Letgo is pretty good. Only a real . . . . would even bring up Craig's list
Level 9

Hi @Robynbyrd ,

I didn't think your comments were, I understand about the car dealers and box stores. Believe it or not its not as bad as it was a year or two ago. For awhile there it was all car dealers spamming the same ads over and over. And there were the massive amount of scam posts offering 20000 dollar cars for $2495 or some ridiculous price and they only wanted to co!mmunicate through email. But there are some people who complain about small business like mine where I'm trying to make a living to support myself. And if you take a look at those who are complaining 60% of them are selling used makeup, drug paraphenalia, weapons, and pot. It just makes me mad that they think I sdouldnt be selling on offerup, when really half the stuff they're hawking the goodwill wouldn't tale it as donations.

Level 1
I agree ! Pages and pages filled with some appliance store using offer up as their personal store front. It's annoying as hell. As for the guy that suggested searching categories, many of us aren't searching for anything specific but simply browsing for stuff they might want. Equally irritating are the folks that are listing free free free and when you click it says not free.
Level 3
You hit it on the head. I don't use categories because I to like to browse. Sometimes to help me price an item I'm trying to offer, sometimes for ideas on a project I'm trying to restore and yes to buy from my fellow community members. Offer up has addressed a lot if the issues since I started this feed. LetGo went to the sewer.