Has anyone had a stalker?

SOLVED
Level 1
I need help because the person who has stalked me and every one of my social media accounts does not use a real name or photo. I want to file harassment charges. I need help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OfferUp employee

@DoraKisses Hi! Thanks for being honest and letting us know. If they are sending you threatening messages, or anything you feel should be reported to us, please report the user right away through the app. You also can block them as well so they won't be able to send you messages again. 

As for stalking your social media accounts, I'm not sure of the whole story, but if you feel this is something you should report to your local authorities, please do so ASAP, and please read our Law Enforcement Resources page here on next steps.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Level 4
This sounds like a job for local law enforcement. Does your state have stalking laws? Has the person said anything threatening, or is this more he likes you? I think your first stop should be to make a record of anything threatening and show it to the cops. That's a good place to start.
Level 9
Okay forgive me I'm a little confused here. Is the person that is stalking you actively messaging you or contacting you in any way on the offer up platform? If so we need to block them immediately and report them to the offer up staff. One of the community managers like @Elin will probably jump on this thread very soon and give you offerups exact policy for dealing with these situations.

However if the person is not contacting you through the OfferUp application but you're just posting the question as a general question I completely agree with @FreddyTeller that you should contact local law enforcement. Most states have rules regarding stocking and can help you file a protective order preventing that person from contacting you. Remember when dealing with these types of situations it's a bad idea to poster location address personal identifying information including license plates or future plans on any type of social media. Stay safe and please keep us informed.
Tags (1)
Level 1
This is such a **bleep**ty thing, bc it can really affect a person...
In my experience, I had to report and block a lady once..and she then had her friends contact me...get ride with me, them the proceeded to report and block me ..for no reason..which hurts my reputation! She continued with this for a month before things subsided...
People are just crazy sometimes..and we need to be careful of who and how we speak to people, bc u never know!!! And ouck and choose ur battles, bc u never know who can obtain info on you as well!!
OfferUp employee

@DoraKisses Hi! Thanks for being honest and letting us know. If they are sending you threatening messages, or anything you feel should be reported to us, please report the user right away through the app. You also can block them as well so they won't be able to send you messages again. 

As for stalking your social media accounts, I'm not sure of the whole story, but if you feel this is something you should report to your local authorities, please do so ASAP, and please read our Law Enforcement Resources page here on next steps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1
Hi Elin, where can I send you pics. She posted my DOB and Criminal History on here for everyone to see. It's harrassment on everywhere she can find me. I don't know her. It's been off and on for 2 years. I have had 2 women say she has done the same to them. One said she was kicked off here before. The pics show her username and pics she posted of my personal info.
OfferUp employee

@DoraKisses Please report them right away. Steps on how to are found here. Also, you can click on Contact Us at the bottom to get in touch with someone who will be able to help you, and where you can share photos. I hope this helps!

Level 9

Hello @DoraKisses

I am sorry about your situation. I am sure that @Elin will respond as soon as possible.

Good Luck

Level 9
While I am sympathetic, I'm inclined to remain impartial.

Simply because you can only get this resolved by working with law enforcement in conjunction with OfferUp — providing proof of said harassment.

If you feel they are in the wrong, word of advice — don't edit any messages / responses as it will reflect bad on you.
Simply contact police
They have a cyber department that can find our who the alleged stalker is if they want to