Helping out someone in need

SOLVED
Level 1
Post under free and be specific as possible so you reach the audience you're trying to help. Kudos to you for helping those in need. We all need to do everything we can to help others if we can. That's what is truly important in this world.
Just a thought...
In 2010 when the economy collapsed and I was laid off from my silicon valley based tech bubble boom company, I needed a lot of help.. My beautiful home at the time in a gated suburb in the Hayward Hills above cal state east bay was foreclosed on and we basically had no where to go. We did what we could and sold my paid off 3 year old Audi and stayed in a lot of motels as often as affordable however when we neared the end of our already negative bank accounts, my wife and I and our 2 children who were 10 and 13 at the time (terrible terrible age to lose everything you've ever had) we all slept in our 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, now that was literally all we owned and while I filed for bankruptcy they agreed to let me keep the truck, so at that time we were homeless and penniless, yet drive around in a very nice new SUV only because we would have lost way to much money selling the truck only to have to replace it with something that no doubt would have reliability issues and couldn't fit all of our family. So moral of the story, don't judge someone's circumstances on the vehicle they're driving because that's just ridiculous and unfair.

My story ended happily. My kids are in college now oldest is graduating soon. We are back in a smaller nicer home and are doing fine. Still own that same 08 Tahoe today, only thing we have left over from our old lives.
OfferUp employee

@Vatoslocos Thank you for sharing this story with us! I am so glad everything worked out. What a lovely story to never give up and never to judge a book by its cover. Smiley Happy

Very sweet thought and u are exactly right.. A friend of mine rented a house to some people and to make a long story short, they were always doing that, pawning kids things, etc but the topper of this particular situation is that they moved out in the middle of the night and left ALLLL their poor kid's things.. Clothes, toys, shoes, coats etc.. Broke my heart,. both kids were under 9 years old,.it made me so sad to think about those babies moving to God knows where and not having a single thing with them.. And I have got to mention, what also is just about more than I can take and move on without a permanent heart ache is people leaving their poor animals, dogs and cats, out in this cruelly frigid weather.. I absolutely cannot handle it... If anyone sees an animal tied to where they can't even try to find warmth, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REPORT IT.. or let me know the area and I will! Happy new year everyone
All very true
Level 1
I just want to say again what I said on my last post; please be aware that free stores r getting people who come in, get free stuff, then sell it on eBay or other mediums similar to that. It is better if u can do a little research around your community and find someone u no who honestly needs help. U will no it’s going to the right objective and not wasted on greedy self serving individuals. It’s a blessing to be able to give as well as receive. I don’t know who benefits more, the giver or receiver. Both sides win!
Level 1
Truer words never spoken. It really is a great “high” to help someone in need. And u r so rite, the look in their eyes is the best gift of all. I’ve seen it many times. The receiver may not realize that it really is “more blessed to give than receive.” But the giver knows. Always thank God if u r in a position to give. And remember “faith without works Is dead.”
Level 1
Gods word says to be careful how u treat a stranger. “For some have entertained angels unawares.” It may have been an angel u showed so much kindness to. We r tested in many ways and I believe God saw everything u did for that man. Imagine if u had just passed him by w just a glance. U just may have lost a test God was giving u. My favorite saying is”Reputation is what people THINK of u. Character is what God and His angels KNOW about u.”
I gave a lot of things to domestic violence shelters when i moved from San Francisco to Scottsdale. I donated much appreciated things like a dvd player and about 100 DVDs, stereo equipment, kitchen appliances and more. I was a rape crisis center volunteer advocate and knew these women (and men) fled their homes from abusers with next to or totally nothing and truly appreciated everything. The kids loved having DVDs to watch as I had a lot of Disney from working in a film store and getting freebies and kitchen goodies were/are always useful. I recommend donating to such places. Often, when people are ready to leave the shelters, they take items with them, so the shelters need continual stock their minimal budgets cannot afford.
Level 3

If they drove up in a nice car means THEY have a nice car and have money or know people that HAVE money. These are greedy people that want free as much as they can. These people were just conning the nice people to get something FREE! Happens ALL THE TIME!! if it's free, somebody will stoop low,just to get something FREE!!! I get heartbreaking stories all the time for my ads, anything to practically give it away!!