How to detect scam buyers messages

I’m one of the many I’m sure who didn’t/ don’t know about this so thank you so much! Something seemed off and I’m glad I looked it up. It was a wife saying a husband wanted to buy.
Gie
Level 1
Thank you for the information that you shared. I am glad I’ve read your blog. A buyer asked me to email her mom who is interested on the item I just posted. Iam new to selling at offerup. So, I emailed the buyer’s mom and the buyer responded exactly as the information you shared, movers will come and buyer will issue a check and will wait for check to clear before pick up will be arranged. I felt something odd so I did some research. I am so thankful I’ve read your blog before I email my information. Thank you very much.
Level 1
Your welcome! The same happened to me, so I decided to share my details, in hopes of helping the next person. Good luck.

I currently have the same thing I found a 2013 Acura tl and it is in perfect condition, clean title. So, they emailed me a whole story about why they need to sell the car. My brother was almost scamed the same way, thank you I am happy I read this I would have been scamed out of $2,000 dollars.

Level 6
Glad you caught it before they took your money !!
Community Helper
@dalcarroll--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! I'm glad you were able to trust your instincts & not fall for any scams!! Thanks so much for your time and help!!
Community Helper
@Gie--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! Thank you so much for your time and sharing your experience!! It's a great thing yo stay within the OfferUp app when buying &/or selling, communicating with others, & that way you're protected if anything should go wrong. Also there would be a running record of the communication. Thanks so much for your feedback!!
Community Helper
@crazycritter--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! It's a great thing that you're able to take your experiences & share them with others so there not only aware, but able to use those experiences & apply them to their own lives!! That's an awesome thing you did--pay it forward!!
Community Helper
@tinna--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! I'm super excited that you were able to look at the forums & take the things that members say &/or have experienced & apply it to your situation. Then, you're aware, & able to protect yourself from being scammed by others. Thanks so much for your time and sharing your experience!!
Highlighted
Level 1
I got similar one yesterday and someone did exactly same. Your blog saved me. Thanks