I am curious if anybody that is living in McGregor currently or actually any small town around here.

SOLVED
Level 1
Were you raised in a small town or happen to remember how neighbors looked out for neighbors or blended their neighbor a helping hand when they noticed their neighbor could use one. And everybody in the small communities did this for others in that community. And they were helping their neighbors without even the smallest of a thought about being rewarded for that help. Everybody just knew when they some day needed help their neighbor would be available to help without having to ask. Yes I am going somewhere with all this. I moved to McGregor a little over a year ago and I assumed from the size of it and the general look of this beautiful little town that folks would just be like I remembered folks were in the little town I grew up in. It turns out I was wrong tho. I live in an apartment building here in town where I do my best to be a good Neighber. I'm polite to everybody that lives in this building even if they are not quit as polite to me. I won't change, it is the way I was raised. I myself do not happen to own a vehicle of my own or for that matter anything with wheels on it. I walk or take a cab when I can afford to. I have learned from personal experience that McGregor is nothing like that small town I was raised in. On numerous times I have been walking down to the store and back in pouring down rain or in the freezing cold and have had folks living here in this building drive right by me out there walking in that bad weather and not only do they not offer me a ride even tho we just happen to be headed to the same place. But they drive right by and if I don't happen to notice them driving by they will howk and wave as they drive by leaving me to walk in the crappy weather. The only thing that comes to my mind is; What has happened to the old ways of live in Small Town America and the Folks who live there now??_ It is sad is what it is. I was just wondering if it's just me??? Or is Small Town America really changed that drastically??? Have I just been in the wrong place at the wrong time?? Does anybody else notice this big change in Small Town America also?? I can't believe it's all in my head....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9

@DonnyRocket  I can remember when neighbors used to look out for each other. I remember our neighbors bringing us home when we did something wrong and treated us like they were our family. Do that now and you end up in jail. I miss that small town. I’m 59 but we lived in a small town in Dunbar West Virginia. Neighbors looked after each other. Looked after your kids and had no problem grabbing you by the ear and taking you home. Had no problem riding you to the store. Helping you when It snowed. You knew when your kids were out someone was keeping a eye out for them. Everyone knew you. I don’t know if it’s gone or just in hibernation. I know I miss it. I hope it’s still alive. I guess if we are talking about it, then it’s still alive.  Thank you for sharing and making a really good memory come alive for us all.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Helper
Welcome to the Community forums
@DonnyRocket!
As the ol' addage goes...
"Times change" OU Neighbor.
Maybe check out the Community forums and post some tips or feedback as well. GLTU!
Level 9

@DonnyRocket  I can remember when neighbors used to look out for each other. I remember our neighbors bringing us home when we did something wrong and treated us like they were our family. Do that now and you end up in jail. I miss that small town. I’m 59 but we lived in a small town in Dunbar West Virginia. Neighbors looked after each other. Looked after your kids and had no problem grabbing you by the ear and taking you home. Had no problem riding you to the store. Helping you when It snowed. You knew when your kids were out someone was keeping a eye out for them. Everyone knew you. I don’t know if it’s gone or just in hibernation. I know I miss it. I hope it’s still alive. I guess if we are talking about it, then it’s still alive.  Thank you for sharing and making a really good memory come alive for us all.

View solution in original post