I feel like i'm being strung along with potential buyer

SOLVED
Level 3

The first message I got was he was intersted in buying an item he leaves his name and phone number.  I look at his page joined last month.  So i was very skeptable.  I asked when did he want to pick up.  No answer for over a week.  He messages me he can pick up today, leaves phone number again.  I ask what time.  No response.  Another week goes by.  His reply, i can pick up anytime after 5pm.  Leaves number again.  I tell him, i am not avaiable after 4pm.  I am avaiable Sat & Sun.  He says of Sunday 10 am.  I said fine.  Message me when you are on the way.  Sunday 10am comes, no message.  I have things to do.  I check my messages later I see a message from him at 12pm that day.  Saying he is ready to pick up now. What should I do.  I really feel like he is wasting my time and doing this on purpose.   

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Helper
@Dimera sounds like he’s just after your personal information like your phone number, or he doesn’t know it’s against OfferUp guidelines, to be asking for you to call him. or he’s a no show, if was me I’d move on to the next buyer.

Next time try this,
If people do not show up, you should report them via Report button right in their profile page. 
For my own experience, I message the buyer 1/2 hour before we meetup, to make sure they remember to show up, I’ve also started having the buyer message me when they arrive at my meeting place, letting the buyer know I’m only two minutes away from the meeting place and will head over at that time. I message them when I arrive at the location, It seems like unnessary thing but it works very effective for me because a lot of people may forget about the meetup. Not everyone treat sale meetup important equally.

Bottom line if people do not show up as they promise, just go a head and report them with detail of the incident to OfferUp. I’m sure someone will take care of your incident report.
Tags (2)
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Helper
@Dimera sounds like he’s just after your personal information like your phone number, or he doesn’t know it’s against OfferUp guidelines, to be asking for you to call him. or he’s a no show, if was me I’d move on to the next buyer.

Next time try this,
If people do not show up, you should report them via Report button right in their profile page. 
For my own experience, I message the buyer 1/2 hour before we meetup, to make sure they remember to show up, I’ve also started having the buyer message me when they arrive at my meeting place, letting the buyer know I’m only two minutes away from the meeting place and will head over at that time. I message them when I arrive at the location, It seems like unnessary thing but it works very effective for me because a lot of people may forget about the meetup. Not everyone treat sale meetup important equally.

Bottom line if people do not show up as they promise, just go a head and report them with detail of the incident to OfferUp. I’m sure someone will take care of your incident report.
Tags (2)
Level 9

Greetings @Dimera,

First, thank you for sharing this message. You are a very patient person. I agree with you, without a doubt, that  he is wasting your time and he is doing it on purpose. As a result, I would have kicked him to the curb so many messages ago. Then to give me his phone number… that deserves a double kick!  Smiley Frustrated

I agree totally with @Hotrod, you should block him and certainly report this incident via Report button right in their profile page. Our Safety Team should be aware of this incident. Please let me know how you decide to resolve this issue.

Level 3

Hi, Shupat!

I took Hotrod's advice.  I reported him then blocked him.  Thanks to @Hotrod & you @Shupat for the helpful advice.

OfferUp employee
I'm so glad they were able to help you out! 😊
Level 9

@Dimera

Sure thing... happy to help out. 

Community Helper
@Dimera glad to help 😊
Level 3
Happens with me all the time ! People say they're interested and want to see the item, then they ghost. Just don't get it ! I say if you're not really serious don't waste my time !
Level 9
@gaitorbait15. I completely agree. Set a time limit up front when they agree to the item price. The idea is to set a proper boundary from the start! Give them a 5-6 hour time frame to contact you back. Letting them know if you don't hear back from them then, with a date and meet up place it will be offered to the next buyer!

Time to keep it moving...!!!! Just saying...😄

Thanks for the info. It’s a great way to keep great track and minimize no shows and to hold them accountable.