I got a question

SOLVED
Community Helper
I put some stuff on my profile. One of the items I posted was some earbuds for a cell phone, meaning that there is the little thing that you can adjust the volume of the phone call on it. Someone got these for me and I dont use them so I dont know how much they cost or are worth so I had them listed at 20. A guy messages me saying that he had gotten some of them at a gas station for like 6$. I told okay then why message me? He said that he was 'going to expose me'. I already reported and blocked him. I already adjusted my price to 10$ and it wasnt like it was firm at all. I'm scared that this will affect my sales in my area. Besides researching my items a little more, what else can I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 3

I think you will be fine. The beauty of OfferUp is that value is set by seller and confirmed by the buyer once an agreed upon price is established. I feel like listing an item at a value that you deem appropriate is exactly what you are supposed to do. If that person was a serious buyer he could have sent you a message stating that he could get something similar at "x" price and made an offer to you based on what they feel the item is worth. I recently made an offer on a pair of "Jabra Elite" headphones that were listed for $100.00. Two days later I circled back with the Seller and asked: "Is this still available?" She responded that they were and I let her know that my old offer for $70.00 was still on the table if she couldn't sell the item at $100.00 and 10 minutes later she accepted my offer. I think serious buyers will have a more tactful conversation about price if they are serious about making a purchase. OfferUp does not police sellers based on the prices set by the sellers. (With the exception of people trying to sell "Services" for $0.00 or $1). As my old sales manager used to say - 'a "deal" is the price the customer is happy and willing to pay for your product.' Hope that helps! Happy Selling! 

5 REPLIES 5
Level 3

I think you will be fine. The beauty of OfferUp is that value is set by seller and confirmed by the buyer once an agreed upon price is established. I feel like listing an item at a value that you deem appropriate is exactly what you are supposed to do. If that person was a serious buyer he could have sent you a message stating that he could get something similar at "x" price and made an offer to you based on what they feel the item is worth. I recently made an offer on a pair of "Jabra Elite" headphones that were listed for $100.00. Two days later I circled back with the Seller and asked: "Is this still available?" She responded that they were and I let her know that my old offer for $70.00 was still on the table if she couldn't sell the item at $100.00 and 10 minutes later she accepted my offer. I think serious buyers will have a more tactful conversation about price if they are serious about making a purchase. OfferUp does not police sellers based on the prices set by the sellers. (With the exception of people trying to sell "Services" for $0.00 or $1). As my old sales manager used to say - 'a "deal" is the price the customer is happy and willing to pay for your product.' Hope that helps! Happy Selling! 

Community Helper
@aidenholley don’t worry about it as long as you report the person and informed OfferUp of the issue they will usually investigate and take the appropriate action. People can’t tell you what to sell your items for, I’ve had the same issue in the past just report and block and don’t give it any more thought. 😎🇬🇧👍
Community Helper
Okay. Thanks for the advice. This is the first time that it's happened to me. I did reply back to the email after I reported him to ask them to at least investigate his profile. I dont know if he was doing it to others.
Community Helper
You’re welcome @aidenholley it’s probably his MO, This kind of person does it all the time harassing offerup members
and usually get banned for this kind of inappropriate behavior. 😎🇬🇧🔚
Level 9
These people aren't buyers, they are "price police", wanna be know it alls. Most of the time they aren't even comparing the same products.
I had someone ask if I'd take $10 on a $35 item, claiming it was on sale at pottery barn. Naturally I checked the site, not even close to the same $110 item I had listed. Ignorance or intimidation tactics, either way, I said "then buy it at pottery barn". I then got curious why they would even consider if they thought it was the same price new,sure enough, the item wasn't even in stock.