I love buyers who ask, meet up and buy! What do people get out of pretending to meet up?

SOLVED
I have had many many great buyers and sellers that I have encountered. I price my stuff very fair and depending on what the item is I will negotiate. I love my buyers that show up, on time, check out the item, hand me $ and say have a nice day!!! I am also the same when I am buying. I am wondering what exactly people get out of pretending to want an item, setting up a time to meet(my meet spot is 30 seconds from my house in a sams parking lot with lots of people & cameras) and then not showing up? This has only happened to me once, at the meetup time she blocked me from being able to message her, I found her on facebook and was very nice despite the things i wanted to say. She is actually is a counselor at a local elementary school lol. I dont drive out of my way meet people so this didnt waste much time...I just don't get why people can't just say ...hey something came up, or i changed my mind. Maybe Offer up should add some buttons to send messages that say things like that.
• I have changed my mind no longer interested
• I am not able to meet no longer interested
•I am not able to meet but I am still interested
I know this won't stop the people who have no life and get a kickout of pretending to buy stuff, but maybe some people just change thier mind and don'tknow how to say it? I have no problem telling people I can't meet them 15 mins away(unless I am a buyer). If people want it at the price you offer, they will come...I just had a guy drive an hour to buy a new ink cartridge for $15...& I'll hop on the road for something I want for a good price too. Just my thoughts.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 3
Maybe instead of deactivating an account they should create a no show list or something of that effect. So each seller would have a list of people who no showed on them and would be aware to be cautious of that buyer. Or maybe a confirmation action that has to be set 1 hour before the meet up. Buyer confirms to purchase and if they no show seller can select a no show button. Buyer gets flagged after so many and sellers are warned when dealing with the buyer. Just some ideas.
43 REPLIES 43
Level 3
Yeah , it’s never good when someone wastes your time. I think it’s buyers regret. At the time they want it bad but when it comes to meet they change their mind.
Tags (1)
I just appreciate all the good buyers and sellers out there. We need a way to flag someone who no shows, or just wants someone to talk too...Maybe after 3 flags your account get deactivated? Some people just have no lives, its kinda sad...
Level 9

Awe @Katiehammond83,  you would deactivate a no show after 3 flags? That is a pretty harsh sentencing. You wanna deactivate the poor soul that just wants someone to talk to? Oh my.

I dislike no shows just as much as the next person. I take it as a disrespectful and, inconsiderate action when a simple text would suffice. 

Sadly, no shows are a part of this app and they are here to stay. As a seller what can you do to help eliminate/control  a no show situation and reduce the impact that no shows can cause? There are many tips in the forums on how to handle no shows. @Hotrod  taught me this one (it may not work for everyone): text me when you arrive at the meet up spot. If they don't text then I don't go and we are no shows together.  Smiley Happy

My point, let's not tar and feather the no shows... they are human too. We need to educate the no shows on how to respond and I think that will greatly reduce the no show list. 

Just My Thoughts--

Highlighted
Level 3
Maybe instead of deactivating an account they should create a no show list or something of that effect. So each seller would have a list of people who no showed on them and would be aware to be cautious of that buyer. Or maybe a confirmation action that has to be set 1 hour before the meet up. Buyer confirms to purchase and if they no show seller can select a no show button. Buyer gets flagged after so many and sellers are warned when dealing with the buyer. Just some ideas.
Level 9
"Maybe after 3 flags your account get deactivated?"

I think that's kinda harsh, maybe a temporary ban.

The issue with this is OfferUp would need more staff to go into your messages and verify that someone in fact flaked.
Level 1
Why can't people just say i have changed my mind...something came up..etc. Two times this weekend people have agreed to meet and do not show. And I agreed to a discounted price.
Ok maybe deactivate after 3 was harsh. I have only had it happen once & I had to get gas anyway so it wasn't a huge deal, just rude!! I have met some awesome people & I love this app made $150 today!!
Level 9
"Why can't people just say i have changed my mind...something came up..etc."

Different people, different ethics and manners.

Use it as a learning experience if you've been flaked on.

Try not to travel too far.

Their profile may be some indication on how they do business.

"I have only had it happen once & I had to get gas anyway so it wasn't a huge deal, just rude!!"

Agreed.
Level 9

@Milezrama--all great ideas!

I wonder how difficult it would be to create a no show rating?