Jewelry: gemstones, synthetic, simulated, gold, silver, base metal

Level 1

I see many artificial materials (simulants) being listed as gemstones, and base metal being listed as gold or silver.

The reason this is important, is because these items hold a huge difference in value. For instance, a 1 ct natural diamond may be valued at $5000, where as a 1 ct synthetic (made by man, but has the same chemical, physical and optical properties as the natural stone) might run about $1000. If the material is a simulated (fake, like glue, glass, cubic zirconia, etc and does not have the same chemical, physical and optical properties as a natural diamond) is may only be worth a few cents or a few dollars depending how pretty it is to the beholder.

Same holds true with metals. Gold is trading at
about $1300 per ounce currently. Silver is going for
about $16 per ounce. And base metal is selling at
about $10 per pound or less.

This is very unfair to buyers and honest sellers. Also, it goes against the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines for jewelry and precious metal.

Could you please escalate this issue to an appropriate person?

Sometimes this is done purposely, and sometimes sellers are just clueless as to what they are selling.

5 REPLIES 5
That's great information thank you and I highly support This great information that you've supplied us with being passed on and getting to the eyes of the right people
Level 1
Thank you for your kind words of support. Jewelry can be difficult to list properly.
I think it would be helpful if sellers include a clear photo of the item showing the hallmark.
Highlighted
Yeah I am actually a novice I would say at the reselling game but I love it and it's quickly turning into a Passion a very deep Passion I love it And I'm not very speedy on jumping into jewelry it seems like I Would need a lot better network Which is what I'm building to help me excel and get where I wanna be as a reseller
Yeah I am actually a novice I would say at the reselling game but I love it and it's quickly turning into a Passion a very deep Passion I love it And I'm not very speedy on jumping into jewelry it seems like I Would need a lot better network Which is what I'm building to help me excel and get where I wanna be as a reseller.... One of the 1st things I learned was how important picture taking is and showing and describing details focusing on picture taking and description I believe has helped me make sales
Level 1
Great info if I'm selling something that's not real gold as in 14 kt I'll post "gold in color"
I've posted silver items as 925 and alot of people have asked what that stands for so there are a lot of people uneducated about metals i believe you must be specific.