Scam artists and phony check givers

SOLVED
Level 1
Watch out for this MF name Larry he is a real piece of **bleep** will write you a phony check have you cash it with your bank yada yada never clears all bad be careful freeze your accounts
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
@Williams777--Hello!! I'm very sorry that you had such a negative experience. On some level we've all encountered negative situations; we learn & grow, & hopefully trust our gut especially when you're having transactions with people you don't know. I would encourage you, for future transactions, to accept cash only. I too experienced a situation where a person wanted to write a check, the check was going to be for a lot more then the actual item to be purchased, long story short I didn't accept anything because if something sounds too good to be true--it most likely is. #cashonly
7 REPLIES 7
Community Helper
@Williams777--Hello!! I'm very sorry that you had such a negative experience. On some level we've all encountered negative situations; we learn & grow, & hopefully trust our gut especially when you're having transactions with people you don't know. I would encourage you, for future transactions, to accept cash only. I too experienced a situation where a person wanted to write a check, the check was going to be for a lot more then the actual item to be purchased, long story short I didn't accept anything because if something sounds too good to be true--it most likely is. #cashonly
Highlighted
Level 1
I received a check also thru fedex from a thomas escrow account and the package was from Cummins..it was from a bank out of Phoenix arizona..the guys name was Robert..its all a scam ..the check was for more than the purchase price also
Community Helper
@Mona5-Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! There are some people that don't do the right thing, & mm at cause others to feel negative about the buying and selling process.

Just remember there are also many great people who have great offers/good quality items that are just looking to have positive experiences. Wishing you the best!!
Level 1
It’s funny I’m writing this because the person has the name you do. Williams and when I seen it I freaked out. You arent trying to buy from me are you? Just checking the person wants to send me a check
Community Manager

Hi there @Gordy314! I would recommend not accepting checks unless you can verify that the check is legitimate first at a bank. 

I just created my account and instantly got a message from a Larry wanting to give me a check for one of my listings. I thought it was super weird and said I don’t take checks. I wish the app would remove scammers. Is there a way to report them?

@Kaylynn wrote:
I just created my account and instantly got a message from a Larry wanting to give me a check for one of my listings. I thought it was super weird and said I don’t take checks. I wish the app would remove scammers. Is there a way to report them?

Here you go:

https://ask.offerup.com/Rules-policies/Report-block/887968531/Report-a-person-or-item.htm