Scam artists

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 1
Hi everyone,

Just yesterday I was almost part of a scam that is taking place right now, where a gentle man named David Huber will respond to your offer and if he doesn't he has his nephew supposedly Names James and they will ask for your email and then they send you emails with another name Brian Nelson asking all about the item you have posted after so many emails back and forth he then will tell you due to his work hours he is unavailable to come look at the item but will be sending out a certified check to your address along with a moving company to pick up the item you had posted. I unfortunately have been apart of a similar scam about 5yrs ago and was able to catch the red flags and called the person on his scam and have not heard back from him. Just please note that if someone says there sending you a check or even a cashiers check before doing anything make sure to call the bank and verify funds that its a real account and real check so that your not in a situation to where your out money or even worse the item you were selling. Lucky enough I had not sent the item to the person that sent me the check but I was still out about 100 buck because my bank allowed the 100 to be available when the check came back as fraudulent in the amount of 3000 everything was taken care of by the bank I only had to pay back the 100 that was available that I ended up using. Even though it was only 100 that's still a lot of money to someone like myself and there's a lot of people that are in this world that really cant afford to lose a 100 like that especially when things are so tight all ready hence the reason so many of us go on here to sell the times we are no longer in need of or using. I just urge eveyone to be careful and to keep an extra eye open for the person that feels he/she needs to be cruel, dishonest, a thief and feels the need to attempt to ruin some day due to his/her own unhappiness. Thank you for taking the time to read this little bit of information that I could put out there in the attempt to help prevent misfortune happing to someone else. Have a good day/evening.
Respectfully yours
Miss. M. Becker
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 1
Thank you for your reply. Yes you are 100% correct regarding this matter because thats exactly how it all begins is by us being trusting people and giving out something so simple as our email address and like wise my emails from the individuals have slowly been just disappearing. I also had a scamer send me a cashiers check just 2 days ago and it was suppose to be for me to be a sub contractor for Budweiser well something just seemed a bit fishy about it and sure enough I called to verify funds and the bank was real but the check was not so this is just something that we all really need to place very close attention too as it seems to be getting worse out there.
9 REPLIES 9
Level 1
i too went thru a very similar situation.rec'vd the "cashiers"check thank gawd my bank figured out pretty quickly the bank info was fraud the check was fraud. the bank told me had they cashed the check the person would have had access to my bank acct and that is what they r wanting. also the emails all mysteriously disappeared from my in box like poof they were gone. Beware and be cautious
Level 1
Thank you for your reply. Yes you are 100% correct regarding this matter because thats exactly how it all begins is by us being trusting people and giving out something so simple as our email address and like wise my emails from the individuals have slowly been just disappearing. I also had a scamer send me a cashiers check just 2 days ago and it was suppose to be for me to be a sub contractor for Budweiser well something just seemed a bit fishy about it and sure enough I called to verify funds and the bank was real but the check was not so this is just something that we all really need to place very close attention too as it seems to be getting worse out there.
Community Helper

Welcome to the Community Forums @Mamas2011@SacE.

I'm sorry to hear about that happening. These are some common scams that have been taking place over the past 20yrs. They are not new but as you see, they're still active. That's because they work and people get stung. OfferUp is designed to keep these types of scams from happening to you. You should not be exchanging personal information to circumvent the app. Hopefully, you both reported these to OfferUp?

Please keep safe practices in mind when conducting any transactions. Join the conversations going on around the forums. Continue to share your opinions, ideas and experiences. It's helpful to us all. You find tons of tips and advice as well. Continue to stay engage, contribute and help us grow the community in a positive way. 

Level 1
It amazes me with all of the technology in we have like spell check that can tell when a word is mispelled OfferUp doesnt have anything to remove these numerouse obviously fake posted gmail scams. Anything asking to respond to a gmail or email instead of offer ups messager is without a doubt a scam of some kind.
Level 1
I am in a possible position with a product I am selling. The buyer had sent me an email and texted me with 2 different phone numbers- offered me an additional amount of money for holding the item. The payment is a Bank Check, as far as this goes, I am very new to selling products on the market- I've read up on scammers and such, however I'm still unsure if this person is a possible scammer. Any advice would help me out for someone that is new/young to this sort of thing. I'm even posting products on Craigslist (I know, bad idea- even worse than eBay.. Possibly). What do you guys think/advise?
Only take pmts through OfferUp, PayPal or cash. Not saying there aren’t glitches in the system, having one myself tonight, but you are safer that way.
Level 1
I just started with OfferUp last week and I had one item to sell. I received 4 emails saying they knew someone who was interested and wanted me to give out my name, address, and phone number and they would send me a certified check and even add $50 to my sale. I marked my item as sold. Don’t think I’ll be using this site anymore.
Level 1
First of all them giving you 2 different numbers is a big red flag for me and 2nd they want to pay by check not ever reallyba good idea as some if your other replays try and stick to paypay, cash, google pay, venom any of those are great as fa4 as payment for the simple fact you know right away that you are getting or got your money so that relives the stress. Something else is when someone offers you an additional amount without you saying something to them or even your add stating somthing regarding a different amount if you were to hold the item is another big red flag for me when someone wants to give me more then what I'm asking I always question it especially these days people want things as inexpensive as they can get it so to have someone offer more I'd be concern and one last thing if by chance you do or did take the check which I dont recommend you can call the bank its drawn from and get a verification code foe funds availability so you know your money is there but I'd only do this if its the only option they truly have just becarful and don't let your item go until your paid cause if you do and you have not got your money you might be out your item and the money so never send or give someone something with out payment first and foremost. I hope this helps and happy selling good luck.
That’s definitely a scam block the person asap