Scam

SOLVED
Level 1
I’m new to Offer Up and was thrilled to sell some big items right away. I became suspicious when 2 people in a row wrote to say “my dad wants this - here’s his email. Send pictures.” I did that and gave my name, address and phone number (public info anyway?) so they could send a check. Luckily, I realized the problem at that point and stopped. Hope it doesn’t get worse for me....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @wknowme! A good tip to follow would be to keep all conversations within the app. This way, you can keep all your personal information to yourself and communicate in a more secure way. 

What are you selling on OfferUp? We may have some great tips for you!

16 REPLIES 16
Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @wknowme! A good tip to follow would be to keep all conversations within the app. This way, you can keep all your personal information to yourself and communicate in a more secure way. 

What are you selling on OfferUp? We may have some great tips for you!

Level 1
There are quite a few (scanners) that post really nice cars for a very cheap price. They ask to contact them through email though. At first I thought they were just collecting email addresses but I think they are just looking for vulnerable people

Same exact thing happened to me.  I reread the emails and saw that things did not add up.  I reported the person, who did not have any verifiable information.  I was surprised at this because I thought Offer Up verified email addresses and other contact info.  Anyway, I sent the "dad" an email and blocked them.  I received the cashier's check and will be trashing that too

Had this happen today, sent my address and name before I realized. Now I feel stupid and afraid. Have you noticed anything suspicious since giving them your address?
Level 4
That’s a great advice and over the time I’ve Learned it’s safer to communicate via offerup messaging than using phone numbers or emails.

If I give my address and the customer doesn’t show up , I block them
Immediately .

I’ve sold more than 300 items on offerup and 90 % of the item I have met up at a King Soopers ( grocery store parking lot ) during the day .if the customer doesn’t want to do the transaction there , then I don’t sell them anything and move on.

Another tip , download one of those free texting apps so you don’t have to give your real number to estrangers.

Thanks !
I've found anytime someone gives an email address it's a scam. They want your email address then info.
I've noticed this with RVs as well. To good to be true. I baited one and the wanted my full name and address. They wanted to go through eBay. I'm guessing they wanted to hack my eBay payment method.
This just happened to me. I am bringing the check to the police department.

I reported the OfferUp user
Level 1
I’m new to OfferUp but will never give my info. I decided to send out a general response to anybody who shows interest in my items; whether they ask for my info or not.

That’s great. Are you in the NYC area? If so we can meet in a public space during the day. If not I will have to ask you to purchase the product(s) on my eBay page. Let me know if you are still interested so we can set up a time, day and place to meet or so I can send you my eBay link. Thank you.