Seller confirms meeting place, now won't respond to messages

SOLVED
Neighbor
I was messaging a seller, who was very kind and responsive. We decided on a meeting place the day after at 6pm, and I feel confident in the sale. It's 9:00pm yesterday when I get the notification that the item was sold to someone else.

I messaged them, asking if it had been sold already (They said they would remove the item from the listing ie mark it sold, which I later found should be done after the transaction since it archives messages).
They appeared to have read my first message, but it has been a day since they have been active.
What should I do? Should I still go to the meeting place, since I don't want to leave them deserted if it was a simple mistake, or should I do something else?
I feel stressed from this situation, and my fears about buying online has been exacerbated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@Hikoboshi 

If you are concerned that the seller archived the ad for your consideration, try making contact through another item (if there are other items listed) on the same account.

IMO, the item was sold to another buyer. Remember, there is no contractual agreement when hitting the "make offer" tab. Some people feel uncomfortable about confrontation (even behind a keyboard), so they just keep silent because of the guilt.

I always mandate a communication at least one hour before the meeting for a mutual "confirmation" message exchange, repeating the exact location and time.

In short, don't go and move on to the next posting.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

@Hikoboshi 

If you are concerned that the seller archived the ad for your consideration, try making contact through another item (if there are other items listed) on the same account.

IMO, the item was sold to another buyer. Remember, there is no contractual agreement when hitting the "make offer" tab. Some people feel uncomfortable about confrontation (even behind a keyboard), so they just keep silent because of the guilt.

I always mandate a communication at least one hour before the meeting for a mutual "confirmation" message exchange, repeating the exact location and time.

In short, don't go and move on to the next posting.

Neighbor
Thank you for your reply! I texted them 3 hours and 1 hour before the meet time, none to which they replied to. I see that while none of the conversation was contractually-binding, I do feel the seller failed to communicate on his side, which caused all of the misunderstandings. I will move on to newer, better items, and this time, I won't put so much trust in the words they say since I wasted a trip. :-D Thanks again, I feel like I know this app a little better now.