TIME WASTERS

SOLVED
Level 1
Is it just me or does anyone else attract alot of time wasters? I get a lot of people who message me about items asking if something is still available etc, and then just read the message & don't respond back. It's so annoying!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
@kiasha101--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I don't believe it's the fact that you moved nor the area you live, but the mere fact that people show a lack of commitment and courtesy when it comes to making a purchase.

There was a period where I was selling alot as well as a period I was receiving many people interested, agreeing to buy, meet up (the whole nine), & then not following through. Hopefully things will get alot better for you!!
13 REPLIES 13
Level 1
I know exactly what you mean.😊 they ask 101 questions and never get back to you about buying it.

Yeah, all the time. Some don't even look at the message. What's up with that? 

Level 7
What I do to minimize this is put alot of details in my Product Description.Then if the buyer starts shooting off questions I address them to read that first, then come to me if they have additional questions. At some point if I feel they may be wasting my time, I ask "Are you ready to buy yet? If they say no, I tell them that I do not want to waste my time on window showers and if they decide to meet up with me with the intention to buy than please let me know. I stop communicating after that and if they say that they will meet up with me, I usually meet minutes away from my house so if they turn out to be a No Show Time Waster, at least I didn't waste gas on them. My friend got tired of Lookie Lous and put "Serious Inquiries Only" on her posts. This sadly only attracted more of these people which leads me to believe that there are alot of trolls out there. Anyway, please do set boundaries and don't be afraid to enforce them. You need to weed the serious buyers from the timewasters, so ask them a few questions too to get a better feel about them. Your time is valuable so let them know this and good luck!
Level 1
I agree. when I lived in Florida I never had an issue purchasing or selling items but since moving to texas,there's been tons of scammers and time wasters...not sure why
Community Helper
@kiasha101--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I don't believe it's the fact that you moved nor the area you live, but the mere fact that people show a lack of commitment and courtesy when it comes to making a purchase.

There was a period where I was selling alot as well as a period I was receiving many people interested, agreeing to buy, meet up (the whole nine), & then not following through. Hopefully things will get alot better for you!!
Sorry
Community Helper
@dean4--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I'm excited for you to take this opportunity & interact with others, explore the different forums, & share your thoughts and expiences!! Thank you!!
Level 1
I want to agree with you but the results speak for themselves.
I'm still being contact by people from my old address,due to some of my items not being updated. the people that contact me here in texas have literally been complete time wasters.also full of a bunch of creepy men. especially on Craigslist.
Community Helper
@kiasha101--That's unfortunate that people have a tendency not to use OfferUp & other buying & selling sites for what their intended--buying & selling. Hopefully things will get better, & the right buyers will come along & purchase your items. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!