This might sound scary but you need to know

SOLVED
Level 3

Meeting what we call a 'Neighbor' can be very dangerous when you dont know who you're meeting. They instantly turn into strangers when they live miles away. But theres a few suggestions that I have:

1) Avoid inviting a neighbor into your home. Instead, meet in a public area.
Store, Populated park, Local Library
2) Be aware of warning signs.
Most of us come on OfferUp to sell used items. And there's a lot of New (Unopened) sells too.(which are the best) But if someone has paid/asked for a large amount of money for an item and they haven't opened it I would be weary.
3) Feel more safe by joing TruYou and buying from TruYou Members only. Thats the only way to validate somrones identity before meeting with them.

What are some of your suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 3
Try not to go alone. Its always best to bring a buddy if you can- even your loyal dog would count!
Tags (2)
535 REPLIES 535
Highlighted
Level 3
Try not to go alone. Its always best to bring a buddy if you can- even your loyal dog would count!
Tags (2)
Community Helper
~Ciao´ 💜
If Single, try to set meet-up time and place w/multiple SALES (when possible) Also, try to meet-up within 5 min of your location. Lots of savings;Time, gas... you understand. Wish you many Safe SALES!
Level 3
Good idea to start this threat. Safety is so important and we can never be too careful! Communication with the buyer, not too much just enough to get a feel for who they are. Then when I’m meeting them in public I pick a location that has cameras and I park right in front of them. Don’t get in their car or let them get in yours. I do the transaction outside and go on my way. Also, listen to your gut. If something feels off don’t go and wait for another buyer. And lastly don’t get greedy, it will cloud your judgement. There will always be another buyer. 🙂💜 Thanks for posting this! Be safe.
Level 1
People who can only text..
Reminds me of Craig’s listeria that’s sending a check for you to cash ect.. am I being paranoid?
Neighbors? Neva heard of such thing😁
Level 2
I give very little info until the day of pickup. When buyer confirms the meet, then it is in public parking lot, busy area and during day only. Winter gets dark early so husband goes with me if it is dusk but still very public place.
Tags (2)
Level 1

Police stations in the Chicagoland area encourage people to play it safe and to meet at the station and its parking lots

I will never meet someone by myself. I will always have someone I know to go with me when meeting a buyer

Tags (1)