This might sound scary but you need to know

SOLVED
I sell on Offer Up mostly. Can't seem to find to many real discounts at all unless I'm the provider. But I realized a week into the game that people are actually being more careful these days. Women especially. Couldn't figure why so many people would set up a buy and not show. Well seems they fear meeting up in general. Even males. I've gotten to where I can tell whos scared. I now tell anyone I think may possibly show up that I'll have the item out front and ready for them after they give an eta. I know that's brought the females back to the store. I wouldn't go in a strangers house and would feel weird letting one in mine. I added delivery service and edge of driveway service. Public place and police station? Doesn't work if the item needs to be tested. No ones giving a free plug in anymore. Police here would probably have me cuffed at the curb and accusing me of selling stolen goods before buyer showed anyway. Most of this buy sell is safe..use common sense.
Level 1
I'll do the BEST I can!!!!! I won't give up or break down. No getting burnt!! THANKS for your kind words!
Community Helper
@mfn12--Hello!! It's a great idea to have a positive outlook on life especially when buying/selling items online. Also I would like to welcome you to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I hope you have a great time interacting with other buyers and sellers, along with community members, & providing Insight & techniques that may assist others!! Thank you so much for your response!!
Level 3

@Fallingdown004 wrote:
I sell on Offer Up mostly. Can't seem to find to many real discounts at all unless I'm the provider. But I realized a week into the game that people are actually being more careful these days. Women especially. Couldn't figure why so many people would set up a buy and not show. Well seems they fear meeting up in general. Even males. I've gotten to where I can tell whos scared. I now tell anyone I think may possibly show up that I'll have the item out front and ready for them after they give an eta. I know that's brought the females back to the store. I wouldn't go in a strangers house and would feel weird letting one in mine. I added delivery service and edge of driveway service. Public place and police station? Doesn't work if the item needs to be tested. No ones giving a free plug in anymore. Police here would probably have me cuffed at the curb and accusing me of selling stolen goods before buyer showed anyway. Most of this buy sell is safe..use common sense.

A free plug?

Unless you are selling a TV or something that size, I would suggest meeting at a library or a Panera or a Starbucks. They generally have outlets. And bring an extension cord.

Level 1
Interesting concept; the police station.

I have never seen the inside of a jail cell, or dealings with that side of the law, BUT with that being said, I would be concerned with the deal looking like a drug deal, LOL. I know it's probably a bit paranoid, but can definitely understand that if I am feeling this way, I am sure many others are as well. It can get quite crowded there and certainly a colorful bunch of backgrounds. Definitely not the safest place to be. Easy to get followed, etc. I do contract work for many government facets. Many in the family aswell, so it might give me some "inside" insight, or not...

Great suggestion when needed, in public -> definite must, security -> preferred (personally, I give a heads up) for a few reasons, safety, don't need it to look as though anything illegal is going on, my own safety etc, especially if it's something small like jewelry.

Of course, these are only suggestions, and of my own experiences, and offered in the most humbled way. I definitely mean no disrespect to anyone in the forum.

Safety should never be disregarded. Being careful, follow your instincts, if it does not sound or feel right, do not do it. It's never worth a situation you can't take back. And there is always a risk, no matter how careful we think we are. No one ever plans on getting raped or robbed. Don't let the sex of the person determine their/ your safety level, I would not go alone, but if I did, that's where the "heads - up" to the authority person is handy, if nothing else, to cover my own assits C-Y-A

Take care and be safe... ALWAYS
Level 1
This point speaks to me personally...

I understand where you are coming from, but 10% of any given population are Deaf. Fremont or even the Bay Area, I would imagine has a much higher percentage considering the infamous residential school. Fremont School for the Deaf. The Deaf programs, etc. , not to mention some people struggle to hear the tones of phones, such as myself. I also have a Deaf daughter, and a daughter that has social anxieties over the phone, that take text as a "warmer" almost like foreplay, to actually get to the conversation or meeting stage of the transaction.

I am not trying to encourage someone to do what they are uncomfortable with, only giving a point of view. We all have or own safety levels and requirements, and there will always be another seller/buyer.

Take care and above all - be safe.
Highlighted
Level 1
Text= feast, easy, convenient, common place, today's norm and culture.

My preference!
Level 1
I, personally would consider it a threat to see an exposed weapon and would not engage in three transaction for my own safety.
Level 1
Nice public area, get out of car and lock it. Transaction out of trunk. If item is small enough, meet inside a starbucks. Sit at a table with a small coffee for your transaction. In both scenarios, arrive early.
And always let someone know (family or friends) when and where you’re meeting up, then let them know when the transaction is complete and that your ok