This might sound scary but you need to know

SOLVED
If the person looks suspicious, has an empty profile, or their profile says they live in a different area, or otherwise gives me a bad vibe, I've started asking for a verifiable phone number and I call them. I just did it this morning with a buyer guy who had no photo on his profile, only 2 one year old items for sale, and his area said he was a thousand miles away from me. He said he just moved to my area. I asked him to take a photo of his drivers license and text it to me and he did that as well. So, I'm meeting him at 5 today at a parking lot with cameras where there are usually lots of people coming and going. Maybe he won't be an ax murderer but in case he is I emailed his DL photo and phone number to a friend and I will write down his tag info before I get out of my car. Don't know what else safety-wise I can do.
Community Helper
@JenniferK0122--Hello, one of the things I would suggest is going with someone, & try not to meet up in the evening if possible; just to be safe. Thank you!!
Highlighted
Level 1
We can never be too safe in this world we live in today! Always meet in well lit & public area. Safety comes first!
I got scammed by a truyou member ! And offerup would not take action against him. I bought a mobile after meetup which turned out to be a exact replica. I just wanted to get it sorted with the seller but he wouldn’t respond. So i asked help from offer up team. But no help received. I have lost trust in the truyou badge.
Excellent procedure there 👍
Community Helper
@MrJohns--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! I hope you have an amazing experience as you interact with other buyers and sellers, explore the different forums, & share your thoughts!! Welcome!!
Level 1
Then if no phone number because of to much information then you should cover your license plates as well lol
Level 1
I definitely agree. sticking with tru you members is the safest way to go but if I come across someone with a decent enough rating, I will make sure to talk everything out with them before even deciding to plan a meet. I will know their sex, age, vehicle type and year, license plate and if they have a smart phone ive even requested a photo of their driver's license for higher priced items that we are planning a meet up to sell. always meet in a public place where there are 24hr lot cameras and always have a friend or relative go with you!!! never go alone!!! better safe than sorry at all times! you cannot trust anyone completely nowadays! it's sad but true!!!
I had somebody try to get me to deliver a sofa at 9:00 p.m. after dark Just about 2 weeks ago. He said he wanted the soda right now and he would come help me loaded if I needed him to. Now I stand 6' 2" & weigh 278 pounds. But ladies this is not happening. I didn't need the money that bad. Plus, I never work after dark and never ever allow anybody to come to my house. I told him I would meet him in the morning and he never replied back. So what do you think should I have flagged him? Whatever you do please be safe, use common since and control your meetings and don't let anyone push you around. It's better to have a missale than a mishap.
Community Helper
@Arkansas_BeeMan--Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forum!! You made a wise decision!! I use to receive messages, "Meet me at 11pm"--not!! Then when I state "I'll meet you the next day." They typically don't respond back. I would flag & block the person from further communication with you. Nothing is worth your safety!! Thank you so much for your response!!