Unable to rate someone who is a no-show

Community Helper
@ZoeyL--The past few months especially I've experienced the exact same thing. People send messages, I respond within seconds/minutes, & we communicate back & forth (sometimes for days), they agree to buy, say they're on the way, I wait & nothing. It would be great if people can just be open and honest with each other/clear about their expectation so both parties have a positive outcome.
Tags (1)
Community Helper
I have experienced similar situations. I receive a message, respond right away, the person agrees to buy, we communicate that day, an hour before the meeting time, & we both are super excited. I even here "I'm on my way" "Right around the corner" "I'm here" & nothing. Then when I send follow up messages, nothing!! It happens.
Highlighted
Level 3
Yes...I hear ya! My thought when telling of my experience and reading others such as yours and others would be that we need a way to make this part of the rating system so that people who have a pattern of this behavior can't continue it and effect others with it because of the adverse effect it does have on those of us who are responsible, positive contributors within OfferUp and would like OfferUp to be a positive experience for other responsible people. Sort of a way to 'weed out' those that aren't caring whether or not they're responsible and don't care how they effect others with showing up after saying they are on their way. I think that if the rating system added even that alone just make a part of the system able to tell others if this person showed up and followed through with everything... it would be a deterrent for the ones that don't show up and really don't care.
Community Helper
Then days later I've had the same people reach out to try again, with no apology or anything for time wasted. Now I just use caution & my own judgement. My best experiences for me have been with repeat buyers. With repeat buyers there's is that sense of trust & communication (that should be established each time).
Tags (1)
Level 3
Oh!! That happened to me also! My thought is... obviously because we can't rate people with their follow through ...it slips through the cracks and then on the occasions where they actually do follow-through...it ends up being a five star rating for them because the negative side never gets reported or rated. There are no consequences to hold someone accountable for not following through & not showing up. You don't really have a choice but to rate them with 5 stars because the only way you're able to even rate them on their account is when they show up and buy it from you. There's no part of the system that rates them for No follow through. Once you make a deal and agree on a price and agree to meet with time and place... maybe there should be a actual 'button' on the offer up app that says 'agreed' and once both parties click 'agreed' then that sets the time and the place to meet in motion ( within 4 hours let's say ) but maybe they could put in a thing where you can't go any further with a time beyond 4 hours from the time you agree... if you can't meet the person within 4 hours then you just can't meet them and you can't agree to a deal. Then when that time comes and goes & they don't show up or they show up... you can rate them accordingly. This is just an idea that I just thought up that might work but I have no idea because I'm not on the other end of the staff that writes the software for this or has thought this completely through from their side. I'm just a person who's on this side getting screwed when someone says they're going to meet me and then they don't show up LOL. My hope is that OfferUp makes the move for a solution and impliments it sooner rather than later.
Community Helper
@stacee293--You're so right!! Whether you're a buyer or a seller it's about open & honest communication!! I'm the type of person if I say I'm going to do something I do it. If something comes up, you still have an obligation to follow through, reschedule, etc. Thanks for your feedback!!
Tags (1)
Level 1
I agree. They need to have a No-Show, Late, rescheduled options once the meeting is set and a party does'nt show.
Tags (1)
Community Helper
@Mooselady--I know they have mentioned their trying to come up with an effective strategy to do that so when people don't show up it somehow reflects.
Level 1
yup. as i sit here after an hour drive for a no show. For the second day in a row. guy from yeaterday finally responded "aint,no way im d4ivinf all the way to *****. why would I?". He seems to forget it ws halfway, he was making over $200 off the deal for an hour drive, he picked the spot, and confirmed before i left. its unreal. And now AGAIN today!

Stay away from Mobile, Alabama. Its the porta-potty of the south.
Level 3
So sorry that happened to you ! It's interesting also that at the top of this thread ...it has a SOLVED BOX THAT IS CHECKED? LOL....if this problem is solved...I would love to read the solution.

I support your decision to list the facts and list the members name to give people a heads up though ! 👍👏👏👏👏👌 😊
Tags (1)