Unethical?

SOLVED
Level 9
Non OU related story...
Certain someone purchased "Norman Rockwell Limited edition plate" from E-b something something site with "Auction" option which had "Free shipping"

After few days I purchased the plate for $0.99, but I was wonder how person can make money when I know shipping will cost around $10.

Received plate in 2days as seller shipped the item with 2 day Express shipment.

It had thank-you note with invoice showing $7.78 for shipping asking to pay for it, because s/he made mistake of not adding shipping cost.

Only reason I purchased this Norman Rockwell plate was, because 1. Free shipping 2. Only 99 cents as I do have about 2 dozen from my parents who purchased this junk back in early 80s as most people did.

Now, I thought about it and decided not to pay the seller. I sometimes sell stuff with higher than expected shipping cost but I eat the difference. So I figure seller should eat the cost and lose around $7 for 99 cents Limited edition Norman Rockwell s/he sold.

Am I being unethical for doing this??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9

Hi @Dad_Tired I would not pay it either ,,,,,,,,we all make mistakes doing business,,,,,its not our job to pay for someone elses mistakes,,,,,,,we pay for our own,,,,,,its part of learning how to  do things right.,,,,,,,,Ive made thousands of dollars worth of mistakes in my lifetime,,,,we all need to pay our own way.,,,,,,,,,,Plus,,,,,,the majority of those collectors plates are only worth .99 cents,,,,,,,,,,they have some at my local goodwill marked down to .99 cents just about every sunday.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Level 9

Hi @Dad_Tired I would not pay it either ,,,,,,,,we all make mistakes doing business,,,,,its not our job to pay for someone elses mistakes,,,,,,,we pay for our own,,,,,,its part of learning how to  do things right.,,,,,,,,Ive made thousands of dollars worth of mistakes in my lifetime,,,,we all need to pay our own way.,,,,,,,,,,Plus,,,,,,the majority of those collectors plates are only worth .99 cents,,,,,,,,,,they have some at my local goodwill marked down to .99 cents just about every sunday.

View solution in original post

Community Helper

To answer your question @Dad_Tired, in my opinion, it's not unethical. It was clearly an error on the sellers part. 

However, the fact you posed the question here would lend me to believe, your not 100% comfortable with how you handled it.

So let me also say, just because someone else did make a mistake, you don't have to take advantage either. Has nothing to do with the guessing the worth or cost of the plate. It's just kind.

And really, isn't that what OfferUp is trying to grow within our community?

Level 9
The seller should have told you this PRIOR to shipping, giving you the option. Although, I would personally pay it, it seems to be a completely personal choice. I've shipped $10 items that cost me $13 for a fedex box plus shipping and would NEVER have made my own error the responsibility of my buyers.
Community Helper
-Ciao' @Dad_Tired-
---Have always went by...
-Be Honest
-Be Responsible
-Be Self-Aware (not selfish)---
To each his own... 👍☺