Unverified user accounts

SOLVED
Level 1
I have an unverified user with no profile messaging me about a high dollar item I'm selling. I have some major concerns.lol
Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not to savvy when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Definitely some red flags there If they're asking you to ship make sure it's done within the app do not use pay pal cash app or any other transaction outside the app also do not ship any other way than with an offer up shipping label Normally if you tell a person that information in there a scammer statement even bother to respond Best bet is always trust your gut
5 REPLIES 5
Level 9
Definitely some red flags there If they're asking you to ship make sure it's done within the app do not use pay pal cash app or any other transaction outside the app also do not ship any other way than with an offer up shipping label Normally if you tell a person that information in there a scammer statement even bother to respond Best bet is always trust your gut
Highlighted
Level 9
I've done business with people with no profile pic, stars, verification.

That's how all of us start out, even if our accounts are dated.

Meet during the daytime only, preferably with cameras around. Cash only.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, don't let the buyer set the terms.

You give no indication of what you're selling, so that's the best I think we can recommend.

If they're asking for an email or paying by check or trying to use a payment not allowed / advised by offerup, I wouldn't.
Level 1
Thank you for the input. I'm selling a food truck for 33,000. He wants to use PayPal as the payment. And asked for the address where it can be picked up.
He really didn't ask for any information about the truck and doesn't want to answer any questions I've asked. None of it felt right. I appreciate the help Smiley Happy
Level 1
Hi,
Thanks. I was unaware of the PayPal stuff and also to primarily use all the app has to offer. Thank you for the help and the response being so quickly sent.
Level 9
Good job trusting your gut that was definitely 100% a scam What would happen is he would use a stolen pay pal account pay you for the truck at 1 of his movers pick it up take possession of the vehicle and the title And with them A-day or 2 PayPal would figure out what had happened remove the money from your account and you would be without your vehicle or money it's actually a super Common scam definitely something to watch out for whenever you're selling high dollar items same thing when people sending you check's Western Union ECT 99.999% of the time they're always Fake and will bounce eventually Sometimes it'll take 5 to 10 days when they bounce your on the hook