Weak Profiles

Level 1
What's with all my responses having joined just this month, having only a confirmed email, and no photo? Their responses seem like they're not really interested.

Thanks,
Emily
15 REPLIES 15
Level 9

@EJMills513

Everyone starts at point zero.

Can you determine a person's character by looking at an image? Even if you can, in 1/4 of my transactions, someone other than the person (BF,GF, father. mother, brother, even ex-wife) in image appeared for the meet.

Level 1
I wish I had saved all my responses, so you can see what I mean.
When I joined OfferUp, I gave all my information except a copy of my driver's license. Why can't other people do that? At least that way, one would know that one's *likely* dealing with a real person, and each of these people I've responded to - with the exception of one - never responded to my replies. And the one person, I had a real back and forth conversation with.
Whenever I ask if someone is local, I never hear back from them. What does that tell you?
Level 9
Totally agree with @Lapua
I am getting more of those generic 'i would like to buy' messages from accounts with no activity or photo than usual, my responses aren't ever viewed, seems like bots.
Level 1
Exactly. Thank you.
Level 9

I don't think they are bots. In the depths of the internet, there are OfferUp account holders offering to pay people real money for fake 5 star reviews...anywhere from $5-$30 per review.

If the new/zero accounts were as easy to setup (easy meaning more than 1000 accounts/day), these unscrupulous people would not be offering money for fake reviews.

Level 1
Do you accept "mobile deposits"? If they're picking the item up, there's no need for that. I prefer to deal locally (out of 40,000 people, someone will want my nice stuff). I'm not desperate, so I'm not shipping anything. I simply don't trust someone I don't see, who doesn't pay in cash. I'm not trying to make a career out of this.
Level 9

@EJMills513 wrote:
Do you accept "mobile deposits"?

Perhaps, you meant scammers?  Bots are another whole different animal.

Level 9
Probably 😂 @Lapua I will leave the techie stuff to you. They aren't scamming though, its just those messages and they never return to read replies. I wonder if that is what the OP is referring to. It seems to happen just minutes after posting a new listing each time.
Level 9

@RevivalGypsy

We are all here to share ideas.  I guess it could be someone using fake accounts to gather current/active accounts.