Where are you?

SOLVED
Level 9

Recently I started a thread called "What's in a name" where my curiosity had me wandering how everybody got the name they use here in the forum. Well its happened again except this time I'm curious what state are you in and are there differences in OU there? I got to thinking how this being a national forum that not everyone experiences the same things.

For instance here in Southern California you practically have to know a second language to communicate. I get people messaging me about items I'm selling in a foreign language constantly. It can be frustrating and annoying.

Another is the items in the feed tend to be geared toword lower income. Don't get me wrong nothing bad with that. Not a lot of hobby stuff. Still some pretty good stuff can be found. Kinda depends on the time of the month and year.

Also seems like when you put an item in the feed within minutes you can be way down in the order, almost feels like you need to bump your items daily. I'm not exaggerating.

OU has done a great job getting the dealers (mostly cars) and contractors under control. Used to be a major part of our feed.

A lot of people selling used shoes. Personally l think buying used shoes is disgusting but to each his own.

You see I'm wandering is it like this everywhere? My wife and I are contemplating a move to the Virginia Beach area and will continue with our business on OU. Not sure what to expect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Helper
True... @Woodguychris Lol
Have visited Cali a few x's, but just couldn't get used to the quakes!
However, I am used to hurricanes... have lived through quite a few of those beauties.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Community Helper
I'm from the southeast part of Texas just a couple of hours away from Louisiana. I get messages in Spanish. It's frustrating because while I can use Google translate, I dont want to or should I have to since everything is in English as far as description and title. There's a lot of hobby stuff as well as work stuff where I live but there is also a lot of people who want stuff for dirt cheap (more than half off).
Community Helper
Hey @Woodguychris
Sunny FL in the Neighborhood, West Coast area.Total "Sunshine Lover" wouldn't live anywhere else! Have lived in snow, but would prefer to Vaca in the beautiful mountains!
You mentioned shoe sales... Lol
My Son has an OU profile and is a BIG sneakerhead! Actually does quite well selling his gently/like new sneakers. He is always making sales! He just had another cash meet-up last evening $$. Happy home hunting my new OU friend!
Going with the FL ~ FLow Smiley Wink
Level 9

@REMEMBRANCE Florida sound great but SoCal has sunshine too and it stays sunny 3 hours longer!!

Community Helper
True... @Woodguychris Lol
Have visited Cali a few x's, but just couldn't get used to the quakes!
However, I am used to hurricanes... have lived through quite a few of those beauties.

View solution in original post

Level 9

@Woodguychris  I’m in Maryland. Been all over the map as a young man. Hell, old man now. LOL! I live near the water. Always have. I see just about anything you can think of on OfferUp. Old and new. It’s funny that you wouldn’t see the same things. Could it be your settings are set up to only be where you live? I see things from your neck of the woods all the time. Just wondering.

Level 9

@Jones68  Your right, I have my defaults set at 50 miles. Some of my stuff is to big to ship!

Level 9

Sorry, didn’t think of that. Makes perfect sense @Woodguychris . 

Level 9

@Jones68 no biggy! Was planing a national fishing trip years ago, but got married and screwed up the whole thing! Otherwise want to see more of this great country. No interest in going to foreign places till I see all of this country. Some day I'll do the Winabego Thing.

@REMEMBRANCE  I'm the opposite, earthquakes don't scare me but tornadoes and hurricanes do. If I move I'm gonna be lost for a while! Gonna be hard giving up 3 hours of sunshine! lol

Level 7

Once again, cool post @Woodguychris !

I am from the Sunshine State - Florida. Down south in Miami where at least 50% of my messages come in Spanish language. Luckily both of my parents were born in South America so no problem for me - in fact, I welcome it, it is great practice. Sometimes I even get portuguese and creole language, now those are tougher for me!