Announcing: Hold Offers

Community Manager

I’m sure we’ve all been asked if we can hold an item for an interested buyer. The idea sounds great, but you’re worried that the buyer might cancel last minute. The buyer is willing to initiate payment for the item now ensuring that it is held for them until they can get it. A win-win for all! 

The buyer knows the item will be held for them, the seller knows that they have funds pending the completion of the transaction, and the fear of having a buyer flake has significantly improved!

When you're buying and selling on OfferUp, a "hold" is an agreement between a buyer and seller that they'll meet in person to exchange the item and the payment. It's more than two people taking each other's word for it. The buyer authorizes payment in advance, and the money is "held" until the meeting. The seller agrees to "hold" the item just for that buyer until they meet.

hold 1.png

Once the buyer and seller meet, the buyer inspects the item to make sure everything is as expected. After inspecting the item, the buyer releases the "hold" on the payment, and the seller gets paid.

hold 2.png

Make a hold offer

1. When you make an offer, tap Hold for pickup.
  2. You’ll see a summary of your offer, including any fees.
  3. If you haven’t entered a payment method yet, tap Add payment method, fill out all required fields, and Save.
  4. Tap Send Hold Offer to send your offer to the seller.

You’ll get a response within 24 hours. If the seller accepts, the full price of the item will be pre-authorized on your credit card. It will not be released to the seller until you inspect the item in person and confirm your purchase. If the seller doesn't respond, the offer cancels automatically.

hold 3.png

Meet and complete the purchase

Meet the seller within 6 days. If you don’t meet within this time, the offer will expire and will automatically be canceled. This will release the hold on your card, and your money will be returned to you.

hold 4.png

I’ve been trying this feature out for a couple of months now. It makes completing in-person transactions so much smoother! Not only does it make me feel more confident as a seller, but it makes my purchases a TON easier. What I do is pick 2 days per week to complete any hold purchases - typically Wednesday’s, and Sunday’s. This way, I can complete multiple purchases in the most convenient way possible for me! I save a ton of time scheduling out transactions like this, and love how seamless this feature is!

Have you Held any items yet? We want to hear your feedback below!

74 Comments
Community Helper

I personally dont like the hold for pickup. I've personally cancelled both hold for pickups that I have gotten because I want to be paid in cash. I told the buyers this. 1 hadn't realized that he sent the hold for pickup and we have a meetup scheduled for today with cash. The other wasnt actually interested in buying or meeting up after I told him this. I dont think this buyer was ever interested in buying the shoes period.

Level 1

Really don't like this hold offer feature. Paying fees for small ticket items that are $2/$3 is alot. Buyers can not even send offers without being forced into the hold offer feature and when they go into 'ask' and send offers they are unable to see we are firm on price. Really don't like this feature, I liked offerup because of the simple interface. Currenly its really annoying all the shipping and local listings are bunched together and most of the posts get buried. I didn't mind the shipping as much, but I really dislike this hold offer feature and I'm hoping I'm really not the only one. It should be made optional or atleast give sellers the ability of opt out. 

Neighbor

I love the fact that we are able to hold merchandise for the the best customer meaning someone might pay more but a t as if you owe him or her wvwry bit of kissing **bleep** just because they paid a few bucks more. Whereas I like people who are honest and respectful enough to pay what’s fair may is ven more but have the respect of a true human being vivió get the seller and the buyer a relationship with high might being about some cool stuff. 

Neighbor

How long does it take to get the money into my acct?

Level 1

@Shawni According to reviews 10 business days. Not including Saturday, Sundays  and national holidays.

Captain

I’m highly disappointed in this !!!! I’m out $100!!!! For this option. I don’t know about you , Offer Up but I’m not well off where I can be taken for $100. I sold my two AC’s for $50 each !! Had a charge for $2.95  per item from Offer up and NO payment went through. I don’t like this is good PRvfir you Offer up. What can I do to get my $$$ 

Neighbor

Hold for pickup is absolutely terrible and gives users incentive to NOT use OfferUp, but instead go to your competitiors. I want to send a message. I want to make an offer. I want to pay CASH an have someone porch pickup if wanted/needed/agreed upon. Hold offers make my time using OfferUp absolutely pointless. Paying Cash? You’re not welcome on OfferUp. We get the message loud and clear. Have fun watching your user numbers and transactions decline.

Level 1

This Hold offer New option, Is and will Be the main reason I go back using craigslist. CRAIGSLIST! Yes! sales tax for an item that has already been taxed at one point im sure is against the law.

right now would be the clutch time to come out with an ap similar to the original offer up that We all started using a few years ago! Anyone else agree??? Sorry offer up, I enjoyed using your ap before you took a bid dump on it 

Community Manager

"Sales tax for an item that has already been taxed at one point im sure is against the law." @ziglar actually, it is becoming mandatory to charge sales tax in several states in relation to online marketplaces. You will likely see this change happen to other similar marketplaces as they get up to code with tax laws.

Level 1

@Mj_206 

Online sales of personal, used items do not generally have to be reported. Selling your old bicycle on Offerup & Craigslist is an example of these types of sales. ... The rule of thumb is that if you used the items and then sold them for less than you bought them for, then you owe no taxes on the sale.

Community Manager

@ziglar I normally don't post links to outside websites, but this has some helpful information on these new laws.

Level 9

@Mj_206 the info is vague in link, but I did find one that gives a slightly better description from avalara dot com

Not sure if link will show. 

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2018/12/are-used-items-taxable.html

Community Manager

Thanks for the assist, @RevivalGypsy!!

These laws are still new, and online marketplaces are still catching up to the new standards. It's pretty confusing, so we've tried coming up with the most simple solution for our userbase. If you have any feedback, feel free to let us know! 

Level 9

In my state, Florida, it says 2 sales in 12 months is taxable. On ebay this is done for me. Am I to charge more per item or are buyers auto paying? Or do I report ou sales at end of the year?

I feel very confused. How exactly does this work on this platform? I obviously have much to research.

Level 9

@factsdontcare @BrightMoonstone 

Any info you both may have would be helpful

Community Manager

No need to charge more! This will be done for you, by us, so that you don't have to worry about it. Tax rates will depend on shipping location. It is still pretty new to the platform, and we do have some help center articles on it. I'm sure there will be updates and changes to it as we continue learning what will all be required.

Level 9

That is a relief actually @Mj_206 thank you. 

Oh no FL is not on the list in provided help link 

Community Manager

Of course, @RevivalGypsy! I honestly hate that this is a requirement these days Smiley Frustrated I love this community, and I've started collecting any sales tax related feedback to pass on to state legislators, to show how this *actually* impacts people.

I understand why it is seen as "necessary" in the eyes of the government, but I'm pretty sure nobody wanted this change to happen. Nick (OfferUp CEO) actually spoke against these tax changes in Olympia last year before the decision was made / law passed. Feel free to keep any feedback coming!!!! 

After some digging into this, @RevivalGypsy, it looks like this was in discussion a couple of months ago. There was a tiiiinnnyyyy update on the page that states "Update 5.6.2019: SB 1112 died in Appropriations. It appears that Florida won't be taxing remote sales any time soon." 

We'll be sure to keep an eye on it!

Level 9

Good catch! @Mj_206 I am guessing since this is very recent, we will know soon enough. Good to know that I may not have been doing wrong this entire year. I plan on doing more digging tonight before bed. I really should be more informed as a seller

Level 9

As info is gathered and shared, could there be a specific blog or sticky where tax info only would be discussed?

Level 1

@Mj_206 

hmmmmm 🧐

Community Manager

@RevivalGypsy I'll start one! 

On Etsy my taxes started like 5 months ago. They take my taxes out because they are new retail items. When I do local events and use my Square cc reader I add my tax because they are new retail items.

To my understanding personal used items are not taxed. That's like having a garage sell and making people pay tax. I could be wrong but the other sites that are similar to OU are not taxing.

At the end of the years your bank will send you tax forms. If you have multiple deposits that will be considered income. 

Community Manager

It looks like Facebook Marketplace has implemented these new tax laws and changes as well.

@Mj_206  yes if a person has a business page on marketplace. Regular sells on marketplace outside of a business pages do not because most of the stuff with local marketplace is used items.

Level 9

I have never sold on marketplace (I hate FB) but is it different because the items are picked up? Or can you ship on FB too? 

Technically speaking unless you had taken a payment electronically, how could you be taxed on a used table or whatever if picked up? If I pay $30 for a table, put paint and time into and after weeks of not selling I get say just what I paid for it with lowballers, I pay tax again on the same $30? This is just an example, but I have just broken even on some items. I am beyond curious.

Level 1
Hey, I've contacted support about this but I don't think they've seen my messages. A bot has taken my account. I don't know the password but I do have the e-mail. I'm logged in and haven't logged out, so I'm still able send out messages from this account. It's made listings under the account and people are replying to them. I don't know if they are compramised now too. 
Level 1

Hey, I need your help. I replied to the same listing you did, and now my account has been taken by a bot. The e-mail and password on this account have been changed, and if I logout I cannot log back in. However I have not logged out yet, so I can still reply to these messages. I contacted support already, but I don't think they have seen the extent to which this has gone. It's making listings now and getting other people to reply. Whatever you do don't follow the link. It's in the descriptoin. Report the account and tweet support or email them. @OfferUp and @OfferUpSupport are their names on Twitter. Be sure to change your passwords and check if anyone's tried to login from other places. I made this copy pasta in order to get the word out. I'm getting multiple replies on these listings and I'm not sure if other people are compramised as well.

Level 1

I made a copy pasta to explain it, I tried sending it to other users who replied to the listings but I can't reply anymore, not sure if it's been reported enough that the account is down, or if there is now another layer of security on the account and I'm locked out of the account.

Level 9

@Trent4 what link are you referring to? The way these hackers are getting into accounts is with links to trade or "check out what i am selling" links in your messages on listings. It is in your best interest to change your password and then log out. Contact support and check email replies. You also want to check banking account for any purchases that you dont recognize 

@RevivalGypsy  I forgot to answer your question about Marketplace. 

You can choose to build a business page or you can just do regular post. I do the regular posting and yes it is local but you can choose to post in Facebook's selling groups all over the US and even outside the US. There's a place on your listings where you can choose "ships" to let people know you ship. I just write in my description that I accept paypal and shipping. The thing I really like is I can set a daily or weekly budge at a amount I choose and facebook will sponcer my listing and it will show up in the personal news feed of hundreds of peoples pages. So the only thing I'm paying for is if I choose sponcered adds outside of marketplace personal pages. I can also choose keywords for my sponcered listing so my add/item will show on pages that have used those keywords to make my item fit in so to speak. It also has a area from buyer/seller feedback. After 7 or 8 days of your listing marketplace will let you choose to bump your add to the top at no charge. I think you can bump 3 or 4 times I can't remember. I'm looking into building a marketplace store page.

Neighbor

This is lame what happens if you don't have a credit card or debit card? It looks like it's back to Craigslist unfortunately 

Captain

WHY NOT POST AN ITEM AND JUST NEVER MARK IT AS SOLD EVEN IF YOU DID SELL IT AS LONG AS YOU AND BUYER AGREES. LOL JUST SAYING

@Jaysmahname  because you can't give feedback if you don't mark it as sold to the buyer. That's the only way you can gain feedback.

Most sellers don’t know what this is. How does a seller indicate whether they will accept a hold offer?  

If a hold offer is accepted can the app automatically mark the item sold or pending pick up?

I liked the way it was before, it should be cash when picked up unless the buyer lives far and needs to be shipped. I hate it when I go to make a offer and it wants me to put in my cc# and there is tax or a fee??? So stupid!!! Change it back offer up.

Community Member

After reading everyone's input about the Hold Option which seems like it's now mandatory to even inquire about an item, I'm not going to use Offer Up to sell things. I really was looking forward to using this app as I don't care for Letgo. With this new pain in the **bleep** Mandatory Hold I'll be making new plans. 

Neighbor

MAKE HOLD OFFERS OPTIONAL OR REMOVE IT!!!!! Hold Offers is terrible!!!

Seriously If Offerup would listen more to the people using the app and stop making up these rediculas add-ons it would be a much better app. I have no idea who is coming up with the things but it has apparently ran off business. I was making a few hundred a month on here last year and this year it has been next to nothing. I pick up a local sale every now and then.

I have no idea why they added this hold it, it's just another silly option to drive people away..

Level 9

Yet the basic functions and customer support is still terribly lacking. It seems odd to continue to add things that make no sense if the employees of ou dont even know how to fix them. It is an insane way to run a business 

@RevivalGypsy 100% I moved to another 10% fee site and it's picking up there. I keep my items here for local, nothing sells on here to be shipped anymore. 

Community Manager

Hold is still optional, as you can still do cash offers by hitting "Ask" instead of make offer. 

Level 1

@Mj_206 

Yes but then user don't notice that you are firm on price. (People don't read the decription before messaging) and the offer option used to instantly tell the buyers that we were firm on price on the item. Also its shady that I can add my credit card info but I'm not allowed to remove it. 

All & all the feedback speaks for itself we don't like the hold option, delay in payment and fees associated with. Just my two cents this post did ask for our feedback.

Community Manager

And I LOVE the feedback! It helps me go back to our product teams with ideas and improvements. I totally hear you on the not being able to remove card info, @luckemouse - I'll definitely pass this on!!

Neighbor

I was talked into trying out this feature last Saturday (3 days ago) and it is more than inconvenient. I never want to do that again. It doesn’t make any sense at all! So I show up to a customers house literally 1 block away from where I live. I mean we are practically neighbors, and the customer inspects the item and it works just as described. He asks me to confirm the hold??? The item is already on in his house!!! I asked why he couldn’t just hand me money or zelle or cash app it but he insists we try it out. I confirm the hold, he confirms it works, I scan his qr code, they send me a message saying not only am I getting less than what we agreed on (for no reason) but now I have to wait 4-6 business days to get the money that is less than what I’m untitled to and he gets the item I sold him to enjoy without having to pay for it for a week! I’m getting angry just telling the story!! Never again will I let someone talk me into getting ripped off for no reason just because he probly doesn’t get paid until 3 days after we did the transaction. NOT HAPPY

Level 9

I believe the customer is charged immediately 

The wait time is processing time by stripe, the payment processor 

I hate this feature too, but it is not your neighbor trying to scam you. The deduction in price is a fee plus taxes. It is silly. 

I haven't shipped on here for awhile are orders that are shipped taxed now? 

Level 9

I think for certain states. Buyer pays so i cant see it. 

Looking for KAYLA