Community Manager

Last month, we asked what being neighborly means to our community members. There were many great responses in this thread, but I also received several private messages with responses. Here are some of the factors towards being neighborly according to our community.

christian-stahl-313383-unsplash.jpg

@Spearhead13 says:

"Being respectful, knowledgeable and engaged.
But also being aware of your neighborhood heartbeat and how you help it maintain a steady rhythm."

@jaydixon0409 said:

"Being neighborly to me is looking out for one another, it is lending a helping hand when someone is in need. My neighbors and I really do not interact much but when we see each other we do tend to speak and acknowledge each other presence. I had one neighbor come and tell me that I had left my car door open and it was actually a shocker to me because I had just moved in. By him doing this it showed me that he was watching out for me and being a good neighbor."

@Dmanderx defines being neighborly as:
"Being neighborly to me means having a mutual respect for each other. Saying hello when you see one another. Keeping an eye out for each other's property."

@Jasonhawks1111 offers up his opinion as well:

"Acting on a daily basis as if your community begins with you."

nina-strehl-140734-unsplash.jpg

@TUrbs stated:

"Being Neighborly is being friendly towards your neighbors, giving a helping hand when needed. Giving a smile. Talking and watching out for one another's property. Respecting them and treat them the way I want to be treated."

@SS2018 brings a little humor into the mix:

"🤔 Neighborly to me is when you have a dog don't let him/her bark all times of the night to the point it becomes a nuisance. It also means mind your own business don't be too much in the mix. Yes, it's ok to be cordial without being all buddy-buddy! Also, respect people's property & keep your grass cut people. Don't you hate it when everybody else's lawn is nice and cut but you have that one neighbor who's house look like a jungle!"

@LP123 reminds us of the golden rule:

"To me, it means to treat others how you would like to be treated."

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

"Being neighborly means being respectful: if everyone respects one another enough not to impinge on the property, space, and feelings of everyone else, then we all would be truly 100% free. On socializing: don't react to other's opinions, and be forgiving."

You still have time to tell us what being neighborly means to you! Share in the comments below Smiley Happy

42 Comments

To me it would be knowing your neighbors.  I was walking my dogs this morning and came upon a woman walking. She stopped to pet my dogs and we starting talking. Didnt know who she was. Til she said something and I was like oh you live right there. Didnt recognize her at all. Dont talk to but a handful of people on our street.  Crazy how life isn't like it use to be when you knew everyone on your street. Always had that one crazy person too. 

New to the community, I think it means exactly what every has said on here. Can we all be neighbors y'all sound like the perfect neighbors We would enjoy. All though I like my space so we would have to live out in the country....lol!

@Mj_206 wrote:

Last month, we asked what being neighborly means to our community members. There were many great responses in this thread, but I also received several private messages with responses. Here are some of the factors towards being neighborly according to our community.

@Spearhead13 says:

But also being aware of your neighborhood heartbeat and how you help it maintain a steady rhythm."

@jaydixon0409 said:

"Being neighborly to me is looking out for one another, it is lending a helping hand when someone is in need. My neighbors and I really do not interact much but when we see each other we do tend to speak and acknowledge each other presence. I had one neighbor come and tell me that I had left my car door open and it was actually a shocker to me because I had just moved in. By him doing this it showed me that he was watching out for me and being a good neighbor."

"Being neighborly to me means having a mutual respect for each other. Saying hello when you see one another. Keeping an eye out for each other's property."

@TUrbs stated:

"Being Neighborly is being friendly towards your neighbors, giving a helping hand when needed. Giving a smile. Talking and watching out for one another's property. Respecting them and treat them the way I want to be treated."

"🤔 Neighborly to me is when you have a dog don't let him/her bark all times of the night to the point it becomes a nuisance. It also means mind your own business don't be too much in the mix. Yes, it's ok to be cordial without being all buddy-buddy! Also, respect people's property & keep your grass cut people. Don't you hate it when everybody else's lawn is nice and cut but you have that one neighbor who's house look like a jungle!"

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

"Being neighborly means being respectful: if everyone respects one another enough not to impinge on the property, space, and feelings of everyone else, then we all would be truly 100% free. On socializing: don't react to other's opinions, and be forgiving."

You still have time to tell us what being neighborly means to you! Share in the comments below Smiley Happy

Have A Great Day!

Community Manager

Welcome, @Hoser69 and @ChrisnCarolyn

Yeah, we seem to have attracted quite a few neighborly folks here! Hope to see you guys around the forums Smiley Happy

Level 2

Haiku "neighborly"

Neighborly is this,

Respect, listen-hear,watch-see

Help just selflessly.

BUSINESS, mind  it .

See, hear, speak -no evil, please.

Check those intentions. 

Community Leader

Being neighborly means to me have respect for one another and for their property and they will feel the same way for yours that's what it means to me..

Community Leader

Being neighborly to me is looking out for one another,sharing a mutual hello and a smile( sometimes we all just need a smile,maybe rhe smile you gave to Mrs.smith was the only smile she received that day?) It can make a difference in people's lives,and furthermore they are free fron within! Smiley Happy

Level 10! You're a 10!

I agree with you 100%, especially when you never know the type of impact you'll have on someone else's life. Very well stated. Thanks so much!!

Level 2

Being neighborly is knowing you have close ppl within your community that you know needs help and keeping them in mind and vice versa. Human kindness has not completely died. And that's one thing I've learned being a part of this community. Theres been soo many humble ppl willing to help the next person out knowing their story, and ive experienced this personally, on both sides of the fence! I've needed and I've given to those in need. I absolutely love how this app has evolved and am proud to be part of such an amazing group of ppl! Thanks again yall!

Block Captain

Help to cut a neighbor's lawn when thier lawnmower is down instead of complaining about them. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Feeding a single neighbor by just taking them a plate! No one has ever said No thanks! 

You don't have to have them over or give them Christmas cards even...just be real! 

Level 2

Being neighborly means you are respectful, honest and friendly towards everyone.  Being a problem solver and always willing to help if needed. Putting yourself out there to always be the best and helping others be the best they can be. 

Being neighborly. In a sales world. That can mean a great many things. And lead to a great community as well as a strong productive sales environment. For instance. What happens when I get a product. Used of course do I just want to instantly start taking pictures and post it right off the bat? The answer is no. I want to test the product to first make sure it works properly and efficiently. As a buyer I would not want to receive a product that wasn't 100 percent of what the item details said it was. Being neighborly and testing your product just to make sure it's all you say it is can lead to alot of repeat business. Being friendly taking the extra time to show the customer all the details is vital. 

Community Manager

@Domselectronics I LOVE this post!! This is really great advice! And something I completely agree with. The past 2 OfferUp purchases I've made, I drove over an hour to the seller just to find out that the item didn't work. It was incredibly frustrating, but I still bought the broken items at a very discounted price so I could fix them Smiley Happy

Neighbor

Love thy neighbor....but dont get caught!!! Lol. Every neighborhood can use a little laughter!!! And maybe the guy with the uncut yard has a broken mower and hasnt heard of offerup yet! Let him know folks! He will have a mower and a cut lawn in no time!!!

Community Leader

So then why do I have people inquiring but they don't follow through, no number, no time, no date, Nothing!!. You know,  if I see an item that I want, and reiterate that I want it,  I contact seller and follow through, I dont ask about an item if I truely dont plan on a purchase, and I don't hesitate to respond, if your not following through, your wasting their time. I get all these inquires and "hey, i want one", and nothing after. Its not about anything other then making the sale.... I mean that is what we're here for, Right!! Were not here to meet buddies or socialize. 

Neighbor

The Golden Rule definitely  the folks you meet going up.R same ones u meet going down so why not lend a hand

Neighborly in sales on sites is being honest with your product. If it’s broken tell them. Some people can fix it or need the parts. I do t sell broken items. Don’t buy something that is working and break it and then tell me its broken cause you broke it! Honesty works people.

Well that is qujte corrrct and as everything else in my existance im making changes 

@Mj_206 wrote:

@Spearhead13 says:

@jaydixon0409 said:

@TUrbs stated:

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

Neighbor

Being neighborly is simple : Do unto others as you’d have them do to you!

Community Leader

@Mj_206 wrote:

@Spearhead13 says:

@jaydixon0409 said:

@TUrbs stated:

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

Being neighborly is looking out for one another even when nobody's watching... Helping one another without having to ask for it..  Looking out for each other's interest when the other is most vulnerable or in clear need of some support or help. Just be the kind of neighbor that you would like to have...

Neighbor

Looking out for each other... Not only neighbors but the whole block. Only because they do the same. I have great neighbors.

Neighbor

Being neighborly to me means, holding your neighbor in a regard that you yourself would like to be held in.

Block Captain

Being neighborly to me means having each other's back. Looking out for one another and protecting one another from theft and other crime. It means catching the other when they start to fall, making sure the other has what they need and helping when ever possible. 

Level 10! You're a 10!

Being neighborly is to treat others in the same manner that you would like to be treated. To be neighborly is to help one another: If you see something, say something (being helpful).

Being neighborly in the offer up community means offering a quality product to potential buyers. It means being dependable when you want to buy something.

Being a respectful always Lend a helping hand eyes open and ears in tune at all times hit all the grill outs and if there isn't one than put one together good food music and games kids moms dads aunts uncles respectable clean friends. Is the best things in life.and I'm juicebox2 and I love being Neighborly.

Neighbor

Thanks

Neighbor

Offering your love and care. . . It's hard living in life having to endure the pains of loss. Never quit and continue to grow. 

Being neighborly to me means we should respect each others property clean up after your dogs, don't let me step in poop in my yard. If you don't have a bag, knock on my door and I will give you one. 

Level 3

I couldn’t say anything different then everyone else. Respect you neighbor 

Neighbor

Everyone has such great ideas. This had been very helpful to a newbie to Offer Up. Thank you. 

Block Captain

I think neighbors should help each other in whatever way is needed. I live in a rural area so if I need milk or butter, I contact my neighbors. They’ll bring home to me or we exchange if available. We push out garbage when out of town. We are conscious of our yards and if my tree srops leaves in yheir yard, I pick them up. I mind my own business, do not judge, keep an eye out for strangers and can lean on them for prayer, encouragement, or an honest opinion. It would be difficult to live by someone that you didn’t care for or to argue with someone so close that’s not going anywhere. It’s in the best interest of everyone around to do your part to keep peace and harmony and the bonds that can be created are priceless. Its nice to have others so close to count on night or day. There is much comfort in it.

I want to let everyone know I was scammed on here today was selling parts to a Ford Taurus and the man sent me a fake cashiers check.  

Neighbor

Being "Neighborly": To me this means lend a hand, whenever you are able. If you are removing the grass & debris from your street gutter; Don't stop at your property line, do your neighbors to their driveway, for example. Mind your own, acknowledge one another, be mindful & aware of how you enjoy others treatment of your own self. Be nice. Do not judge.

Block Captain

😇Hi, to me it's abt being honest, fair an trueful wht each other, respect .

Community Manager

Totally agree with both @Expi and @Angless62-go11! Welcome to the community!

Block Captain

Being SAFE😇caring for other's, being fair, having respect for other's , it's ALL ABOUT LOVE! FOR GOD SO LOVE THE WORLD HE GAVE HIS (ONLY) BEGOTTEN SON, let's do the same.BE BLESSED NOT STRESSED.LOVE U ALL.🤗

@Mj_206 wrote:

@Spearhead13 says:

@jaydixon0409 said:

@TUrbs stated:

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

Level 2

You share alot of wonderful helpful topics and suggestions I really appreciate your blogs and the time you put in to this community forum 

Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @BrealBready! Thanks for the kind words! Heart

Being neighborly is to have my back and I have yours.

Block Captain

Bring neighbourly means to be kind, respectful, cortious, helpful, friendly, but at the same time keep your boundaries clear and respect there's because everyone also needs their own private life also.

It means to me, Helping out one another without asking and also looking out for there things when they are not looking to make sure nobody walks off with anything