Being Neighborly

Community Manager

Last month, we asked what being neighborly means to our community members. There were many great responses in this thread, but I also received several private messages with responses. Here are some of the factors towards being neighborly according to our community.

christian-stahl-313383-unsplash.jpg

@Spearhead13 says:

"Being respectful, knowledgeable and engaged.
But also being aware of your neighborhood heartbeat and how you help it maintain a steady rhythm."

@jaydixon0409 said:

"Being neighborly to me is looking out for one another, it is lending a helping hand when someone is in need. My neighbors and I really do not interact much but when we see each other we do tend to speak and acknowledge each other presence. I had one neighbor come and tell me that I had left my car door open and it was actually a shocker to me because I had just moved in. By him doing this it showed me that he was watching out for me and being a good neighbor."

@Dmanderx defines being neighborly as:
"Being neighborly to me means having a mutual respect for each other. Saying hello when you see one another. Keeping an eye out for each other's property."

@Jasonhawks1111 offers up his opinion as well:

"Acting on a daily basis as if your community begins with you."

nina-strehl-140734-unsplash.jpg

@TUrbs stated:

"Being Neighborly is being friendly towards your neighbors, giving a helping hand when needed. Giving a smile. Talking and watching out for one another's property. Respecting them and treat them the way I want to be treated."

@SS2018 brings a little humor into the mix:

"🤔 Neighborly to me is when you have a dog don't let him/her bark all times of the night to the point it becomes a nuisance. It also means mind your own business don't be too much in the mix. Yes, it's ok to be cordial without being all buddy-buddy! Also, respect people's property & keep your grass cut people. Don't you hate it when everybody else's lawn is nice and cut but you have that one neighbor who's house look like a jungle!"

@LP123 reminds us of the golden rule:

"To me, it means to treat others how you would like to be treated."

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

"Being neighborly means being respectful: if everyone respects one another enough not to impinge on the property, space, and feelings of everyone else, then we all would be truly 100% free. On socializing: don't react to other's opinions, and be forgiving."

You still have time to tell us what being neighborly means to you! Share in the comments below Smiley Happy

82 Comments

To me it means if you need milk come knock on my door. If I need butter I'll knock on yours . If there is a keg on the porch you're automatically invited. But bring chips . But nothing makes a neighbor any better than a good privacy fence .

Neighbor

Simply help one another.

L11
Level 8

@SmittyBOSS

Hey there! Welcome to the COMMUNE-lol...wishing you much fun & success!  "Simply help one another" is really what I believe is crucial for OU to be more successful. I've made a beautiful friendship with REMEMBRANCE on OU. We help each other a lot. I'm in Texas just north of Houston. Where are you located? L11

Community Member

I hope you are all my neighbors!...

ad to community helper or leader? 

A smile... can change a life at that moment and if you see this, it is incredible.. 

while driving up the road I was stopping for the light and glanced right to the bus bench, a lady was sitting waiting and did not look happy for right then we locked eyes for 10 seconds and I smiled, I swear, it was like I put the battery on the charger because her eyes sparkled and she smiled  back and I know that for 10 seconds I reached out and changed someone’s life, at least for that moment . I know that it has changed mine and I build on it. Be selfless and have understanding and caring and treat others as you would want to be treated. That’s all for now.

@Kap425 and the picture is Buddie he is the boss!

L11
Level 8

@Kap425 ,

Responding to yesterdays post about your 10 seconds of locking eyes with the bus stop woman...? Anyway this made me smile as it's these little things in life that make one feel warm and neighborly. Appreciate the story. Good to meet you! L11

Level 2

I would just like to say that if we see that someone in the community is not keeping up their yard as are the rest, it might help to extend a helping hand, than to merely pass judgement. There might be circumstances beyond their control and by "offering-up" some help the task could be accomplished and the community also becomes a tighter knit! If there is something we dont like, then let us be the first to act on it!

L11
Level 8

@WestcoastNut323, @Elin , @Mj_206 

Your frustration is understandable. Panama topic has nothing to do with this thread. Being neighborly does! Because some peeps here really do care, I respond to you as one person trying to help another! If you PM the administration as in @Elin or @Mj206 I'm sure they will escalate your issue or lead you to someone that can get your situation resolved. Please be cautious about sending a PM to someone like myself so you don't wind up being restricted and causing yourself more problems. That's me being neighborly to you. Patience is needed here. My response is an attempt to be a good neighbor and recognize you are in need of answers. This is all I can and know to do. L11

Level 2

@Mj_206 wrote:

Last month, we asked what being neighborly means to our community members. There were many great responses in this thread, but I also received several private messages with responses. Here are some of the factors towards being neighborly according to our community.

@Spearhead13 says:

But also being aware of your neighborhood heartbeat and how you help it maintain a steady rhythm."

@jaydixon0409 said:

"Being neighborly to me is looking out for one another, it is lending a helping hand when someone is in need. My neighbors and I really do not interact much but when we see each other we do tend to speak and acknowledge each other presence. I had one neighbor come and tell me that I had left my car door open and it was actually a shocker to me because I had just moved in. By him doing this it showed me that he was watching out for me and being a good neighbor."

"Being neighborly to me means having a mutual respect for each other. Saying hello when you see one another. Keeping an eye out for each other's property."

@TUrbs stated:

"Being Neighborly is being friendly towards your neighbors, giving a helping hand when needed. Giving a smile. Talking and watching out for one another's property. Respecting them and treat them the way I want to be treated."

"🤔 Neighborly to me is when you have a dog don't let him/her bark all times of the night to the point it becomes a nuisance. It also means mind your own business don't be too much in the mix. Yes, it's ok to be cordial without being all buddy-buddy! Also, respect people's property & keep your grass cut people. Don't you hate it when everybody else's lawn is nice and cut but you have that one neighbor who's house look like a jungle!"

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

"Being neighborly means being respectful: if everyone respects one another enough not to impinge on the property, space, and feelings of everyone else, then we all would be truly 100% free. On socializing: don't react to other's opinions, and be forgiving."

You still have time to tell us what being neighborly means to you! Share in the comments below Smiley Happy

Level 1

A neighbor is always there to borrow money a place to hang out when they leave and is the best spot to do all your criminal activity keeping the heat away from your own place and last but not least the person to blame for who your spouse is cheating on you with

Level 1

So y'all  heard someone say that humor goes along way, well dang oh I tell you what if that just don,t fit my red neck reputation. I sure hopes nobody takes my neighbourly advice to the ol' sour chicken cuz y'all no I'm a local L3DG3ND on that there Friday night. Yeeee, CA cahh!

Captain

There’s only 2 houses on our road..we live in the country. Our neighbors are an elderly couple who are the sweetest people. We take care of each other through our the year. 2 years ago we had flooding in our area, and all roads out were covered in water. For over a week we couldn’t get out of our neighborhood, so we shared items we had that they needed and they shared with us. We know when you are going to be out of town and they know when we will be out of town. Sadly i lost my youngest brother last year. Our neighbors where the first ones here to offer support and care. They are more than our neighbors they are our extended family. 

Being neighborly to me means: If your neighbor needs any help, by all means, help them if you can. 

Level 1

Neighborly is to me like knowing the difference between voicing your opinion and being opinionated.

Just practicing respect toward everyone.

We all deserve that 

Being neighborly is would be to be respectful of all others on here.  You may not like what they are selling or what not, but that don't mean you should say negative this about it.  I mainly deal with guitars and bust related items so if i see a guitar or whatever it my be and i think it's a great guitar, whether or not I'm going to buy it I'll "stop by" just to let them know they have a beautiful guitar or a beast of an amp and such.  Compliment stuff instead of ragging on it and making the owners feel like crap. Get doing with everyone like you would if y'all lived right next door to each. Treat others the way you would want to be treated

Community Member

Being neighborly to me means giving your neighbor a helping hand. It may be helping them move a box or help with cutting their yard. It just be a simple task such as a knock on the door and saying hello.

Captain

Being neighborly,  bottom line respect each others space. Don't do anything that you wouldn't want them doing to you or yours! Be friendly, be courteous and be kind. 😊

Level 3

I am just trying to help my fellow 3D Printer enthusiasts be able to get a well made 3D Printer Filament at a good price so we can print what we want when we want. 

Neighbor

Good morning and happy mother's day. New to this app. Joined only a couple days ago and so far going great. Just wanted to stop and introduce myself... so hello to all

Smiley Very Happy

Community Helper

@LILWRTDOG55 --Hello & welcome to the OfferUp Community Forums!! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day & a great time exploring the different forums!! 🧡💛❤️💚

Level 9

@LILWRTDOG55 welcome to OU. Great to here everything is going well. Should you ever need advice or have any questions, this is the place to get answers. These forums are loaded with smart and friendly people who are ready to help. They've certainly been there for me when I needed them. Good luck and continued success!

Community Member

Being neighborly is waving to them when they are doing their morning run, or when they are walking to the mailbox to get their mail.  .Always checking on your neighbors to make sure that they are safe in their home environment especially with the unsafe world we live in these days is a great way to be neighborly.  Helping those who can't help themselves in our community like the disabled, the elderly, or children is another way of being neighborly.  

Level 2

My personal philosophy is "You can't be a United country unless you want to be a united neighborhood ".

Level 2

Here's  how one person can create change in a neighborhood: If you WANT to make a difference,  these are your tools - 1) What are they doing ? 2) What reaction is taking place ? What must I say and do (intelligently) to change the outcome to neutralize the situation(s) ?

Captain

Love one another and show each other respect. Treat people how you would like to be treated and the world will be a much better place! 

Level 2

Being in the security business, it doesn't always work that way.......

@Mj_206 wrote:

@Spearhead13 says:

@jaydixon0409 said:

@TUrbs stated:

Lastly, @BigJ13 said:

Put others first, be helpful and kind to all , GOD GAVE HIS ONLY (SON) FOR US ALL.😇

Level 1

Neighboorely is like, ned flanders from the simpsons. Yes lifes good, yes were going to stay out of trouble but wheres the fun? where is the expierence. 

I like to be NA-P.A.R.T. Why! 

because Ive got too.

Jim Carry -The Mask

Being neighborly can mean a great many things. I would like to think here at Offer Up it means respecting our fellow man in the community at hand. In other words play straight and fair. Don't screw your neighbor with some bogus product you know doesn't work. Sell and respect the way you would want to be treated by others.

Neighbor

In my life, being neighborly includes being kinder than necessary for you know not what the other person has or is goin through, with that, iI was at the bottle exchange the other day and this elderly gentleman finished at the machine when I stepped up i noticed he hadn't talke his ticket. As I looked around i pulled there ticket he was no where to be seen , just as I turned around again he came running up, I had his ticket waiting$20 more or less, he thanked me and went about his biz, so I started stuffing in my can cash, a few min later he came back holding out 2 dollars, i could tell he was grateful not because of the, "reward"he was giving me but by the look in his eyes. How many it there have looked their neighbors in the eye? Myself I wouldn't have it any other way

I have a lost Cockatiel found  in Glendale Az nean 73ave and Orangewood. Please call asap. This pet is heartbroken for its owner.410 430 1018

Community Manager
Level 4

@Mj_206  Did you find the owner that be so cool my dog tan July 3 cause the fire works I didn’t find her till the 5 th of July I freaked hope you did find the owner later MJ