Brand New OfferUp Profiles

OfferUp employee

Hi OfferUp Community,

My name is Rekha and I am the product manager for Trust and Safety at OfferUp. We’ve listened to your feedback and we have been working on something we know you'll really like 😃

We are incredibly excited to introduce to all of you the “new YOU!” ! You’ve worked hard, had fun in the process, made local connections with other members of the OfferUp community, and some of you may have even started your own businesses using OfferUp. We want to reward all of you especially those of you who respond to messages quickly, who confirm their email, phone number and TruYou by highlighting these on the profile so that you can build a strong reputation on the OfferUp platform.

Here are some highlights of the features you will see on your public profile: TruYou or Verified Small Business Badge below your profile picture, badges for  those who get verified for OfferUp payments, verified their email, phone numbers, who have amazing 5-star ratings, plus more.

Which is why we want to put your community credits front and center.

Introducing the brand new OfferUp profile:

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 1.56.57 PM.png 

As you can see, there are many things new.  A few I’d like to point out are:

• Personalize your background image to reflect your personality. Add a selfie and show off a cool new place or your favorite place as a background image.
  • Trust between buyers and sellers is everything, and confirming you’re a real person with a real phone number, email address and ID is a basic building block of that trust. Take a few minutes to securely verify your contact info and earn your badges.
  • If you’re not already a TruYou member, take 60 seconds to confirm your phone number, snap a picture of a state-issued ID, and take a selfie. We’ll keep it all secure and when everything matches up, you will earn the ultimate badge of all: “TruYou”
  • Response time (How quickly you respond to messages), Response Rate (How many times do you respond) and Last seen ( when was the last time you were active on the platform)
  • Got loads of positive reviews? We’ll show everyone why you’re such a pleasure to do business with by sharing what makes you so great. Timeliness, friendliness, reliability and communication are just some of the indicators of awesomeness that we want to reward.
  • If you like someone’s item or had a great experience with them click on the “Follow” button to follow them.

You can also view how your others see your profile by going to My Account -> Settings -> View my public profile.

So please check out the newly enhanced profile and let us what you think of it!!! Have fun personalizing the new look of YOU on OfferUp!

72 Comments
Level 1

I really like the personalisation that it offers. Its great being able to show my own flare.

OfferUp employee

We are so glad that you are liking it! Smiley Happy

Captain

Thanks for continuously making great improvements... 

Like.

Level 1

Heart These new features. They're really evolved and makes OU seem even more the go to app for selling and buying! 

Fantastic additions!

I have started my own business thx to offer up thank you

Neighbor

Hilo....offerupers....I just discovered this new forum and I am excited....I have so many cool things to post but have no idea how to figure out what the value is...and nothing like cloths and shoes...more like vintage and antique items....as well as books and home decore...anyway....I am looking forward to all the inside info from all the successful offerupers that have been with OUP over a year like me ...I am in desperate need to find new homes for very cool things....can't wait...thanks in advance!!

Level 3

I like the feeling of excellent security and the emphasis on the needs of buyers and sellers. Thank you for all the new OfferUp features!

Community Member

Plz lmk how to change my background pic Smiley Happy ty!

Level 1

Great addition to the site. Creates a better level of comfort between buyer and seller.  I've met great people and have had very positive experiences both selling and buying.  This added profile information is just making OfferUp a step ahead of the competition.  Great job! 

Level 1

Thank you for the information!

This is such a wonderful idea!!!! We need more good and positive things in this world .. I just joined the offerup community today and i am very happy that i did. Offerup is so much more than just a average joe website with pictures and posts and shopping. I will be doing the TruYou member as soon as i post this, so that i can build my relationship in this very unique and upstanding community that was created for us to use. I would liketo say thank you very much for all the time and effort that was put in to this for us to have to be apart of something positive for a change. I really do believe, now more than ever, that more people need to stop blowing others off buyers and sellers both and also i think that people should not be so rude and ugly to the ones messaging about buying or selling the items. 

OfferUp employee

@Mlcox89 Thank you for your kind words!! We're so happy to have you with us on this journey! Smiley Happy

Level 9

Wait...what? Look what I just learned from Rekha.... you can personalize your background image to reflect your personality. How exciting, I can't wait to add an exciting background image. I can only hope that everything goes smoothly. Thanks Rekha for sharing.

Neighbor

Who can we talk to if we have ideas on how to make the offerup app better. My idea is to add multiple buyers for certain posts. Like I have been selling many of my bonsai trees through one post. I have had multiple buyers. But kept the post up because I still had more to offer. Now that I closed the post. I still only have the option to say I sold to one person instead of 3 people. This should really be an option for people selling many items through one post. 

Level 3

you should offer for sellers/buyers with good response rate, 5star rating, verifying all information for theur profile for being an above average seller/buyer free bumps after goals are reached as a reward system while setting a goal for yourself...

OfferUp employee

@Marc206 hey Marc, there are multiple threads in the Welcome! forum you can add your suggestions to. We love all of the feedback so don't be shy and keep sharing with us! 

OfferUp employee

@TeamArmitage I hope you've posted this in the Bump thread in the Welcome! forum Smiley Happy Lots of great ideas in there to read about and add to. 

Level 9

Hello @Marc206 and welcome to our offerup community. 

I am excited to read about your idea. I agree that it would be useful to have a multiple post feature. 

Please share your idea in the following forum. It is where we have been discussing cool features we would like to be added to offerup.

https://community.offerup.com/t5/Welcome/What-are-new-cool-features-you-want-to-be-added-to-OfferUp/...

Best wishes along your offerup journey.

Level 1

I have tried to join Tru you and to confirm my cell number quite a few times.  I keep getting this message that says this "Error  This doesn't seem to be a valid mobile phone number "  But it is.  I have a feeling that I cannot be the only person that is having this problem. Any suggestions, ideas and or help would be truly appreciated.  Thank you 

Level 9

Good morning @RonChee

Let's see if I can help! Go to your account page look at the top -  above your avatar to the right you should see a question mark. Tap the question mark for account help. Then scroll down to confirm your phone number and tap. Scroll to the bottom of this page and tap contact us. I usually  get a response in less that 4 hours. That is impressive to me.

If this doesn't help let me know.

Level 1

I like it

OfferUp employee

@Lisadelver I'm so glad!

Level 9

@Lisadelver

Me too! Smiley Tongue

Level 1

I tried that and it was great advice and I thank you Stupat, although when I went there all that I would have been able to edit is my name, password, and location.  Still stymied. 

Level 9

I hear you @RonChee, Let's ask for the big guns! @Elin our community manager. 

Hey  @Elin, Please give us a little a help when you find the time.   Thanks

LOL -- I am going to have to get in line or take a number.  Smiley Happy

OfferUp employee

@RonChee Hey Ron Smiley Happy That is so strange. I went to the Help Center to the TruYou article and clicked on the Contact Us button, here is the link. Go ahead and use it to contact our Customer Care team and let them know what's going on. They have the tools to help you out with this. Let me know if you need any more help when you hear back from them! 

Level 9

@Elin 

I knew that you would rescue us! What color is your cape? 

-- Thanks

OfferUp employee

@Shupat LOL Smiley Very Happy Let's go with blue! 

Level 1

Blue it is! 

Captain

Absolutely love the new features! Definitely think that it helps out with us all feeling a little safer with our transactions. Heart

Neighbor

Looks good. Great idea. Makes me a little weary of people selling or buying things that can't take 30 seconds to snap a selfie or to verify a phone number. Helps weed out some people after a little conversation of course. If it takes them two days to respond to our conversation I might take that as them not being the punctual type of person lol. That sort of thing. 4 stars in my book for the app itself. 

Level 9

Hey @Jph8510

I agree, the new profile looks great!  You gave the app 4 stars... How many stars are you working with???  Smiley LOL

Community Member

I like the changes in profile. Can't wait to update mine.

Hi, ty for your time and assistance with this matter. I have done the truck u process already so what's. My next step? Ty again, Joanne.

How does one get s small business badge?

Captain

how to eliminate the estimate that they put me For the car

Level 9

Hello @Yudit -- Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to OfferUp. Take a look around the forums where you will find useful information.

Level 3

Love the updated UI/UX design features, but I have one quick question.

In order to verify my identity, I have to verify my email address (done already).  But according to my account I have to verify my Facebook account in order to attain "trusted" status, otherwise my listings will be ranked towards the bottom of search results.

What do you recommend for those of us who don't have a Facebook account, or left Facebook (as in closed and deleted) because of the platform's lack of credibility?

I don't want a scam website being the arbiter of my trustworthiness.  But I don't want to leave OfferUp, after taking the past year or so on hiatus to get cool stuff to sell.  You help us get paid, Zuck doesn't.

Any advice, except "set up a Facebook account", will be seriously considered.  Glad to be back, and glad to see OfferUp still doing awesome things!

I'm in same situation. Not on Facebook nor interested in it.

Community Member

All great tips

Neighbor

I have quite a few Native American collectables I am trying to sell to someone in my nearby neighborhood or town. I am requesting that the items be picked up upon payment. Total price negotiable for all items. My user name is MirandaGemimi.

Community Manager

Hi @MirandaGemini welcome to our community! You're gonna want to post this over on the discussion side of the forums rather than on a blog post. You can find the discussion forums here.

Community Manager

Hey @Cyberluddite great question here.

Requiring a Facebook account to become fully verified with TruYou should be an old requirement. Try updating your app and see if this requirement goes away. You should be able to become TruYou verified with just a valid email, the selfie matching with an ID, and a valid phone number (note, VOIP numbers and landlines won't work). 

You can learn more about TruYou here.

Level 3

Thanks, @Mj_206!  I downloaded the OfferUp app a few days ago, so as far as I know it's the most recent version.  I tried the TruYou process as recommended, and got verified within hours.

You're correct, I didn't need a Facebook account but I did need to upload photos of my ID and a selfie.  However, my profile says I'm at 80% (4 out of 5 tasks completed) until I link my Facebook account.

So I'm very satisfied with the assistance, because the most important goal was the TruYou.  Total win, wishing you guys an awesome weekend!

Level 9

@Mj_206  You are the bearer of great news! A fantastic indicator that admin listens to our request. Thanks!

I uninstalled and installed OfferUp and still my profile says I'm at 80% (4 out of 5 tasks completed) until I link my facebook account just like @Cyberluddite. I was not able to bypass facebook.  I sent in a help request.

Community Manager

Ahh, apologies for mixing that up, @Cyberluddite!

You're right about the 80% completion, and this is feedback I can pass onto our product team. Personally, if I see someone is TruYou verified with the 80% profile completion, I wouldn't hesitate to work with them. I totally hear you on the profile completion feedback, so thanks for offering that to us!

Level 3

Agreed, @Mj_206.  If you're willing to put your name and face on an agreement, I'll take 80 percent too.  Thanks for being there for us.

Community Member

Right On!!!😎

Great to know about the added care in this process. To some, like me, it’s a very important sales app that’s  checked on everyday. I don’t have just 3 or 4 items to get rid so I’m more apt to getting effected by someone who is looking to steal from people like us. 

Thanks for taking more steps into customer care. Great to see that safety is important to you guys. 

I’ll be adding my ID now.