Buyer Protection Just Got Easier!

Community Manager

We've been listening to all feedback regarding our Shipping feature, and it became clear that we could make some improvements to the Buyer Protection Flow. It's now easier than ever to initiate a Buyer Protection Claim which we'll highlight below!

Starting now, or after you update your app, you will now be able to open a Buyer Protection claim within the messaging feature on OfferUp! No more digging to find an email to reach out to or struggling to get your claim in on time, because this is something that is built into the messaging platform now. This will help our teams get back to you faster than ever!

Once an item has been delivered, if something happened to go wrong, you'll instantly be able to get help.

get help.png

From there, you're just two more steps from getting the claim sent off to the right team.

2 and 3.png

And just like that, you can submit. Let us know what you think below!

98 Comments
Level 1

I submitted a claim for refund and still no email confirmation yet.

Level 6

Is there a place for photos to be uploaded? Will the buyers need to prove damage or inaccuracy? 

specifically for the example shown where seller would need photos to file a claim with usps. Currently it is impossible without sharing text/email info. 

My main concern is that this will end up like what where a seller has zero protection and because it is so easy to request a refund, we will be lost in the mix. Most of us left ebay for this very reason. It needs to go both ways. @Mj_206

@Mj_206 wrote: 

Level 1

Do you have an email i can send you the screen shots of his ad, transaction id and photos?

Community Manager

@RevivalGypsy totally understand your concern. Using the button above will just make it easier to connect with our Payments team. A lot of people were having a hard time finding out how to connect to our teams. We definitely still have Seller Protection built into the process, but I'm definitely interested in hearing any more feedback on Seller Protection! 

@Sonle2004 You'll want to reach out to the Customer Care team. If you have submitted a claim, they will respond ASAP.

Level 1

Hi i already submitted a claim through my app but it told me i should get a confirmation email which i never did so i do not know if the claim is sent since i was told i only have 3 days to make a claim

Level 2

That is so great

This is so one sided! I recently got something stolen and no one at Offerup has helped me. The buyer used this as a tool to get away from paying some expensive tools, and I have so much proof of what I did. Offerup is completely useless in their communication and effectiveness. I hope other sellers get better help if they experience a theft from a buyer. 

I agree with @RevivalGypsy there needs to be more seller protection. Every site that I've been on except for this one also has seller protection and I haven't seen any here. Its not good and one reason why I'm slowly moving away from OU. I'm paying large fees and I have no protection, you're not protecting the people your making money from and there's no logical reasoning behind this way of thinking. You must protect the source of your income and that's why I don't understand OU everything is kind of backwards. You loose your income loosing the sellers and there's no buyers to protect..the forcus is all wrong, yes you protect the buyers and you push that but in that you have a way to make sure your buyers are not scamming the sellers because its happened in the past and why ebay and some others lost all their sellers

Level 10! You're a 10!

How sellers are protected when shipping

Sellers on OfferUp are not only protected by our policies and partnerships, but also by our world-class fraud detection, automation, machine learning, and data models that make OfferUp the simplest, most trusted way to buy and sell.

OfferUp teams are working full time to block and mitigate fraudulent behavior. Our dedicated Trust & Safety team is on the job, enforcing policies and tracking issues before they become problems. Our skilled investigators, with decades of combined experience, examine every claim.

If you suspect a buyer of trying to scam you, please report them through the app.

😎🇬🇧🔚

@Hotrod no we are not. I've already experienced this with a buyer who claimed the item was broken. OU made no attempts to find out the truth in this story and this was the item I never got paid for. But got a bunch of lies about saying I was paid but never showed up in my account. I asked the OU staff the prove this claim and have the buyer return the item and nothing was ever done about it. That's why I'm venturing away because I do large amount of sales and thank goodness this was a very small item and a small amount. I can't risk not being protected

Level 10! You're a 10!

If you have any other questions please contact customer care through the link below, or you can contact OfferUp through Twitter at OfferUp. 😎🇬🇧🔚

OfferUp Customer care

https://offerup.com/support/new/

@Hotrod this is a buyer protection I'm not sure what it has to do with sellers

Level 10! You're a 10!

@BrightMoonstone

Best thing I can offer in these cases is that you should receive a response from our escalations agents if you keep responding to the ticket.😎🇬🇧🔚

Level 10! You're a 10!

@BrightMoonstone this not in response to you it’s for others members if they need information. Adding to the thread topic;

😎🇬🇧🔚

@Hotrod thanks but its already been 3 months and my last response from the agent was "we don't know what happened"

Level 10! You're a 10!

@BrightMoonstone Sorry you’re having this issue, but the Community Helpers team, don’t have access to your account information. we only work within the Community forum.

I would recommend like I said before keeping in contact with your escalation agent. 😎🇬🇧🔚

Thanks @Hotrod I have given up but as with most policy claims the seller has the option to dispute the claim, have the buyer return a broken or damaged item before credit is returned to the buyer. It could be a complete lie or it could be something the seller could replace or repair. As mentioned above the buyer should be showing proof of damage, the broken item, how its not as described, damaged box or something not just their word. The policy here is just not the normal protection policy that I'm familiar with.

Thanks for your help!

Level 10! You're a 10!

No problem @BrightMoonstone you’ve welcome, one quick question did you take screenshots of your item from your OfferUp post showing the condition.?

Here’s my thoughts 💭,

maybe it would help if people did short video from their phone as it’s being boxed up for shipping showing the condition and how well it was done.

like I said before in my thread topic; on posting short video one day on OfferUp.

It would be great if OfferUp came out with a new feature so people could take a short video of their items showing the condition also working condition. then buyers will see the condition before receiving the items. also giving the sellers proof of condition of their items prior to shipping to buyers., just a thought 💭 😎🇬🇧🔚

Level 6

@BrightMoonstone same here, I know you and I were both told we would get paid in spite of a false claim. I, like you, continue to be told the money was deposited. It still shows as pending. I know @Mj_206 tried to help us both, but I just gave up. Maybe one day it will just disappear from my transaction screen. Idk. Again thankful it was under $25. 

@Hotrod yes I'm very careful with these things she is a return buyer. This did not happen like it should have and still things are not happening like they should. I just got a message that 218.00 is in my bank account and its not there so I don't know how they know money is in my account when its not. Things are getting risky here 

Level 1

I have submitted a claim on the third day of the buyer protection. Got the email on the fourth day, applied for the buyer protection claim again with the transaction ID. Now, I am waiting for Offer Up to respond to my claim. How many days will this take???

Level 1

I purchased a new in the box Samsung galaxy S8 active. On the first day of receiving it, I found out that the phone was not unlocked like the seller advertized, strike one. So, I contacted the seller, he said that he would have to get the code form AT&T, it would take time, strike two. I told him that he had two days to get it to me or I would be returing the phone. I got the code from the seller on the third day of my buyer protection, then unlocked the phone using the code. Then, this is where things get fun... as I was trying to add the new phone to my already existing Verizon account. Verizon stated to me that this new phone was not compatible to their network, strike three!! The seller stated in his advertizement that this phone would work on all carriers!! On the third day of my buyer protection, I submitted a claim. I received the claim email on the fourth day, asking for the transaction id for my purchase, which I replied that day with the information. Now, I am waiting for a reply from Offer Up about my claim, what to do about returning this useless phone to the seller and the return of my money. How many days will this take???

@Mj_206 @HotrodI received a counterfeit item and I have filed 2 buyer protection claims with no response. Please help here as I made a large purchase and would like to resolve this issue ASAP!

Community Manager

@aaflet01 did you receive an email about opening a ticket? I can confirm that these claims were made, and our Payments and Shipping team will be responding ASAP. 

I did not receive an email. I checked my spam as well and didn’t get anything. I normally receive all emails from offer up without any issue.

Neighbor

I am also having issues utilizing this “buyer protection”. I haven’t gotten any confirmation emails back about my claim. If it takes a few days to read and respond to a claim, that’s okay, but I as a buyer with 3 days to act, need to know that. With the wording of OfferUp’s page, it looks like I should expect a confirmation reply within a few minutes; that is going to set up a lot of people to panic.

OfferUp should focus on either getting confirmation emails out sooner, or changing the wording so buyers know that their wait will not be a short one.

Also, we need a way to post video or photographic evidence. This should have been a day one feature.

So far, this OfferUp shipping feature has been everything I thought it might be: nothing but trouble. I do not feel secure using it, and I will avoid doing so for the near future. You can’t beta test things like this OfferUp, this is people’s money. 

Community Manager

@Retro_wares I can confirm that our Shipping team has received your Buyer Protection claim, and they will be responding to you ASAP. 

Level 1

**** Frustrated buyer protection purchaser !!!  ***  I purchased a new in the box Samsung galaxy S8 active. On the first day of receiving it, I found out that the phone was not unlocked like the seller advertized, strike one. So, I contacted the seller, he said that he would have to get the code form AT&T, it would take time, strike two. I told him that he had two days to get it to me or I would be returing the phone. I got the code from the seller on the third day of my buyer protection, then unlocked the phone using the code. Then, this is where things get fun... as I was trying to add the new phone to my already existing Verizon account. Verizon stated to me that this new phone was not compatible to their network, strike three!! The seller stated in his advertizement that this phone would work on all carriers!! On the third day of my buyer protection, I submitted a claim. I received the claim email on the fourth day, asking for the transaction id for my purchase, which I replied that day with the information. Now, I am waiting for a reply from Offer Up about my claim, what to do about returning this useless phone to the seller and the return of my money. How many days will this take??? When will I hear from someone at OfferUp stating what I should do next to resolve my issue with my purchase ???  

Block Captain

Hello,

I met up with someone to buy a cell phone and he robbed me. The user now has me blocked so i cannot see him. What do i do? He was verified through Tru You but this did nothing obviously.

Level 10! You're a 10!

@codyr0se Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

Sorry this happened to you, at this point, you will need to file a police report — then your police department will be able to reach out to OfferUp for any information on the seller. I always recommend when dealing with hi value items like cell phones, meeting at Safe zones like your local police department lobby’s. you can find 

your closest safe zones in your OfferUp selling app. I would also recommend contact OfferUp customer care and report this issue I’ll add the link below, 😎🇬🇧🔚

You can also contact OfferUp through Twitter at OfferUp if this option is available to you.

OfferUp Customer care,

https://offerup.com/support/new/

Block Captain

I'm trying to use the buyer protectiong claim because some one sold me a iPhone through offerup and and it turns out he had stolen the phone and I've been trying to contact offerup and they take a whole day or more to respond and I know the buyer protection thing is onpy three days so i dont know if it affects it.

Hi Guys,
I had an incident one sellers sold me a GPS device by saying it is new pack device , when i tried to use then it asked activation code when i had asked to five me activation code then he told i dont have and asked him bill of that device that is also not available .how it possible if he is selling new device and he dont have anything to prove he is owner of that device.i thought he is thieft and all thieft item is selling on offerup and otjer portal.i had lost my money.I need your suggestion to get my money as that person is not responding me.

Level 1

Why does OfferUP allow sellers to qualify for Free Buyer Protection on their listing or ad. Many/ most sellers can not or do not get OfferUP Varified for Payments status, making the Buyer Protection null and void for the buyer? Right?  

Level 2

How do you get money back into your account  if you sent it to a person and they wanted the cash sent to paypal 

@JB918 that's buyer protection for the people who are buying using the shipping feature.

@Dimebag661 Offerup doesn't use PayPal for transactions so I don't think they will be able to answer your question. Offerup uses their own cc transaction system for their shipping service.

Block Captain

Hi , I bought yesterday an item with 120$ the seller accepted the deal than I paid the transaction right away but after one minute he conceled, when I asked him why he respond by "hit the wrong button " and he asked to pay again , my question is : how I can figure out if he got my money without selling 

@boussad that's a great question I don't work for Offerup so I'm no expert of this subject I'm only a seller but if the offer was accepted but then cancelled I'm not sure how fast the money would cancel out to return to your bank account. It was accepted in the first place so it withdrew the funds. I would log onto your bank account and see if the money has been takin out and/or returned. I recently had a company take out my membership fee and they used the wrong credit card so I called them right away after they drew the money out and they canceled the transaction but it still took two days for the money to come back on my card. 

I would contact customer support in the morning and I would also ask the seller if they would hold the item for you untill you find out. I would explain the situation to the seller also and they should understand. Atleast I would as a seller!

Neighbor

Anyone used it so far? Outcome??

Level 6

Search posts for keywords. There are plenty of posts regarding this topic. Not all have followed up on outcome after initial rants, assuming they were resolved. 

Neighbor

Thank you! I will :-)

I submitted a claim on 9/2 with photos & detailed description of the case. I still haven’t heard back. I have messaged you guy 2x asking for a follow up but no reply as well.. Can I please get an answer? Thanks

Block Captain

Is there anything protecting the seller in case a buyer purchases an item, receives it via USPS, claims it's wrong and returns something else instead of the actual item and get their refund? I've heard of this scam too many times.  

Level 6

Thus far, I haven't even heard of any buyers having to return items. It seems they are just refunded. I could be wrong, but have not read one post about returns. 

Level 3

So I bought a iphone x 256gb phone with the original box and all cords etc from a seller on here. They agreed to ship through Offerup so both parties can have protection. I made an offer and they accepted it so the funds were Immediately taken from my account until they shipped the item and everything is cleared. Well after a few days I had to remind the seller to please send the item as discussed prior to purchase was supposed to be ASAP. I get an alert two days ago that they just decided to ship the item so I was happy to see some progress. Today I get an alert through Offerup that my item has been delivered so I was very excited and looked outside on my porch and nothing. So I go to my mailbox and there is a very light large envelope about the size of a folder and thickness of a couple of peices of paper with some small plastic item the size and feel of a very small phone case or credit card something very very light weight. This is definitely not my nice box set iPhone x 256 GB I ordered and I'm very frustrated and I opened up a buyer protection ticket and nobody has reached out to me whatsoever and the worst thing about it is I ordered another iphone 8 plus that I didn't even receive yet from the same seller on the same day. So obviously I'm not getting that one either! Can somebody please help?

@Nathon if you filed the buyer protection claim they will get back in touch with you as soon as they reach your claim. If you read back in the feeds as long as you filed the claim within the three days your fine and will be contacted shortly. If the seller hasn't mailed out the other item you can cancel the transaction at the end of you recipe where it says cancel transaction.

Level 6

That is a pretty awful thing to do to someone! Did you take photos or video of package before you opened it? Could be claimed as mail fraud with usps. 

I know many will disagree with me, but phones and laptops should not be purchased on these apps. It is crazy how many posts are solely about phone scams.

Level 3

@RevivalGypsy Actually I didn't even open the thin envelope yet because I didn't want to tamper with it. But the envelope has some type of light thin silocone plastic thingy. I can feel it through the envelope definitely not my order. The USPS envelope says 1lb but that does not way close to 1lb. So I'm thinking maybe the fraud department can look at the exact weight from USPS to prove this was never even the weight of the item to begin with..

@Nathon the weight limit is for up to 1lb not the actual weight and the 

silocone plastic is probably for the electric to keep it protected while being shipped.

@Nathon if you haven't opened the package how do you know its not the item?