How To Deal With Lowballers

OfferUp employee

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 11.29.08 AM.png

Figuring out the best ways to deal with other OfferUp members who lowball you on prices has consistently been a hot topic for discussion within our Online Community forums. Because there have been so many amazing tips and comments on how you all deal with lowball offers in your own way, we wanted to grab a few to highlight in this blog post Smiley Happy

Below are some hot tips from your fellow community members. Thank you to everyone who has shared! 

The first highlighted post is by @DopeKicks216. The original thread with additional comments can be found here.

"1. SET YOUR PRICE HIGH: If your selling an expensive item for cheap, to many it may look like a good deal, but to many more it usually looks like a knockoff or a too good to be true. Which is usually the case. Secondly, if you mark your prices at thrift store price points, you leave no room for profit, on top of not leaving room to barter or negotiate. Setting your prices low may get more small sales, but you'll soon run out of inventory to sell and realize you haven't made much profit. Don't be the seller who looks out for everyone else but yourself. Think quality over quantity. Know the value of your stuff and never be quick to settle. Patience is key. The right buyer always comes along.

2) BE VERY DESCRIPTIVE: Low Ballers are very crafty at using your errors, typos, no details, etc. against you. Example, if you post a car but don't list the mileage then a lot of buyers will assume it has a lot of miles on it so they'll throw you a low ball offer. Avoid this type of annoyance by simply listing every important detail needed in the description. It'll save you from having to go back and forth

3) BE OPEN TO TRADES: Now I know many sellers on here like to put "no trades" on their posts, but often times trading can work to your advantage, and you'll gain more in the long run. Let's say you post an item for 100 bucks right? Cool. So you get a buyer who low balls you for 50 right? Then he/she tells you that's all they have but they really want the item and they're not mobile, so you have to bring it to them. and they stay 35 mins away. So how do we make this deal beneficial? Accept a trade. Instead of declining the deal altogether, simply say "I'll accept your offer of 50 if you're willing to add an item worth 50". This tactic usually works for me 90% of the time. if a buyer seriously wants an item they can't really afford, they'll usually have no problem making a trade with you. So cash plus trade is always a win. Plus, you're adding more inventory to flip."

The second highlighted tip is by @SLCdiscounts. The original thread can be found here Smiley Happy

"If you know the value of your item then sell it for what's fair.
If you're not sure about the price, a good tip especially if your item is common is to search it and see what others selling price is and maybe go $5 or more less if you want it sold quickly.
Sometimes with lowball offers a great comeback is, "Thanks but I'm waiting on a higher offer". And sometimes wait for that higher offer.
If no luck then post, post and post again...

Also helps to add "Deal" or a word similar In the title (if that's what your offering) to get extra attention.

Sometimes if the deal they are offering is way too low, check out their page and do a lil trade/money deal. Sometimes people have what you want without even knowing it thus both parties will be happy. You will get low ball offers it's not disrespect, everyone wants a deal.

All of the remaining tips and advice below can be found in this thread located in the Welcome! forum here

"I'm well documented on this but my policy is to never be rude. Either point out my item is brand new (because most of my items are) and priced $XXX below usual price, or remind them my price is marked firm. When I price items firm, I state it in the first line of my description as well as check the box. I counter, usually very close to asking but that's when some get very nasty, and I just report as needed. I don't get into much, just "thanks, have a nice day”

"I see no reason to respond negatively or be condescending. "Sorry, but $____ is the lowest I'm willing to go. Let me know if you're still interested.

Wouldn't you want something cheaper too? If there's a small chance of it happening I say go for it. The best way to get a better price though, is to ask what the lowest they'll take is.

"I'm always placing low prices on the stuff I sell just to move it faster. And when I obtain free merchandise, as an audio installer, I am given the old equipment when the customer won't take it, I really don't mind the lowballer offers, at this point any offer is profit because my cost was 0…

"I do not like to use the word low-ball. The majority of people who choose OfferUp to shop for deals are doing just that hoping to get the best deal. The seller pretty much has a pricing range in their head. Most buyers with the help of Google search do their research before they decide to make a purchase so they generally have a ballpark figure of how much something is worth. You will always have that person who is in search of the best deal. Ultimately as long as the seller makes it perfectly clear that right now this is my set price the potential buyer will respect your reply and maybe even purchase your item at a later date for the asking price listed. OfferUp is a great platform for buying and selling let's do the best we can to handle every transaction with professionalism and respect. Have a great day and happy buying and selling 😀”

"I could actually stand up for my work a little more. Sometimes I can keep my game face and get my price, but most of the time I feel guilty for the price I ask and either sell it for a marginal profit or the sale falls through. I'm working on a balance. My advice is to STAY FRIENDLY, though, and keep the contact. Some of my best customers have come to me as word of mouth from some of my worst customers!!”

"Be polite and move on! I am The King of lowballing! And I only offer less because some people accept the offer. $5 game boys, $10 for wii, If you are looking for the most value for your item, I wouldn’t sell it on here.”

"I put PRICE IS FIRM on all my ads & also: Please do not contact me unless you're ready to pick up and purchase. Thank you!”

"On each of my post I add either of the following:

“Price is fixed. Lowballers will be blocked”
“Lowballers will be ignored”

I am not scared to come off strict. I don’t like to waste my time on the wrong people.

"1st I'm like? Is this person for real? Then I'll say sorry, thanks for the interest though.

By @PROSS

“Sometimes I ask if they are a person in great need....or i say Thank you but no thanks ....or i say I wish i could help you out but i cant.

Hopefully, you will all find these tips helpful Smiley Happy Make sure to check out our Welcome! forum and Pro Tips forum where discussions are constantly taking place and don't forget to share your own.

How do you deal with lowballers? 
28 Comments
Level 6

Hey look, I'm there :v

I found myself reading everything all over again, even though I would occasionally be redirected to that thread and skimmed through it before.

Good read and feedback from others.

I feel @Jayz_house summarized my point best.

Level 1

What I'd could use is some suggestions, as a seller,  on how to politely reply to the popular question,  "Whats your best price? " 

I feel like it's a no win question. 

Thanks 

OfferUp employee

@Miker That's a really good question. I'll post a thread in the Pro Tips forum asking other community members to share their advice, just like we have done to get the advice seen above. Hopefully, that thread will help and we'll get some good tips out of it for everyone Smiley Happy

I don’t mind responding to low ballers because when you feel something isn’t priced right you offer accordingly so “low balling” someone is all about personal opinion or perspective. A good sale is one where both parties feel like they have gotten a great product or a great price for said product. If you find that someone has offered you a rediculous price, rather than not responding and having your response time get increased, a simple “no thank you” is sufficient. If you don’t like the price that is offered a great response is a counter offer. Your counter offer can be your full asking price. That lets a buyer know that you are not budging on your sale price. Which in turn makes a buyer re-evaluate, Do they really want this product and if they do then you get your full asking price. If they don’t, you’ll most likely never hear from them again. Negotiation is the sign of a healthy economy. Low ballers are only negative if you view them as negative. All offers are potential sales, if you don’t like the offer, then counter offer. My biggest frustration is people that don’t respond at all. Stop lowballers with counter offers. Happy hunting!

OfferUp employee

@LaneyCakes Thank you for sharing your advice with us! Smiley Happy

Level 1

So your saying it's my fault?!  j/k You make a fine point. I suppose the Lowballer ,so to speak, isn't actually implying negativity or positivity for that matter but I am..and only based on a few words at best. For all i really know they could be the most well intentioned people in town. So yeah, it IS my fault really..

Lol. Or rather, my loss if I want to see it negatively. Likewise, repeating my asking price as a response isn't necessarily negative either...unless i want to see it that way - which i totally don't so that's quite helpful, thanks

Block Captain

I'm an opprtunist and an avid shopper on OfferUp and listening to some of the individuals complain about "low balling" is a compkete contrast to what the app is for...OFFERS.  I offer what I am willing to pay for an item regardless of the price. Most of the time my offer is low because there are several of the same items for sale by other users. To call it low balling simply means you a bit weak on negotiating.  Grow a pair...your price is your price, just stick to it. Noone is forcing you to sell.

Community Helper

@LaneyCakes Great response! I have bought items with the counter offer being the original asking price. No thank you, usually keeps me away from continuing silly low offers if I really really want the item I’m usually willing to either come back with a much higher offer or on occasion saying something along the line of “okay, I’ll pay the asking”.

Level 6

@Conor @Viewfront @Miker @LaneyCakes welcome to the neighborhood,,,,,,,,,,i agree with all your responses,,,,,,,,,,and @Miker,,,,,,,,,,,when i cant make a deal with someone that makes a lowball offer,,,,,,,,,i always know its my fault,,,,,,,,im the seller ,,,im in control of the deal,,,,,,,,,,they made the offer,,,,thats positive,they are interested,,,,,,,,,,I really dont get why some get so upset by a low offer,,,,,,,,,,,,,the app has a big green button that says,,,,,,,Make Offer,,,,,,,,,,ive had offers that were fifty percent ,,,,,,agreed on 10 percent off and then ended up having me them just hand me the full price at the meetup,,,,,,,,,,i believe all offers are good,,,just that not all of them end up in a sell.

just because u make the offer and u want the product the seller is ultimately the last decision maker on the transaction lowball or not.. i have experienced a guy 2 times now  that was so **bleep** I wouldn’t take his offer he started to try to convince me why my price (which was much lower than my listed high price) was just going to get me robbed etc etc. & messages me everytime I post something like there isnt a full app that has other similar items within his price range. buyers come off as scmammers when they seem too interested or anxious to get it on their terms at their price makes ppl 2nd guess

I'm here to make the best deal whether I'm buying or selling and for everyone to feel that they've gained a treasure! I've made my home more comfortable buying on here and now I've recently become a doggy mama again after many years. Now I'm selling for her benefit. Her happiness is my happiness. Vets and daily care are costly so I can't give stuff away but I'll be fair and always accept a B R O. I always respond whether I'm buying or selling. I do my research on items especially tools or electronic or stuff sold as new so that I'm not paying more than what I could buy it for new. I had someone tell me that an item that I was interested in sells new for $129 and they're selling $35. I found for under $25. Another selling used for more than a brand new item same model. Do research and you'll be better off for it. Happy buying and selling responsibly. 

Neighbor

@Elin wrote:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 11.29.08 AM.png

Figuring out the best ways to deal with other OfferUp members who lowball you on prices has consistently been a hot topic for discussion within our Online Community forums. Because there have been so many amazing tips and comments on how you all deal with lowball offers in your own way, we wanted to grab a few to highlight in this blog post Smiley Happy

Below are some hot tips from your fellow community members. Thank you to everyone who has shared! 

The first highlighted post is by @DopeKicks216. The original thread with additional comments can be found here.

"1. SET YOUR PRICE HIGH: If your selling an expensive item for cheap, to many it may look like a good deal, but to many more it usually looks like a knockoff or a too good to be true. Which is usually the case. Secondly, if you mark your prices at thrift store price points, you leave no room for profit, on top of not leaving room to barter or negotiate. Setting your prices low may get more small sales, but you'll soon run out of inventory to sell and realize you haven't made much profit. Don't be the seller who looks out for everyone else but yourself. Think quality over quantity. Know the value of your stuff and never be quick to settle. Patience is key. The right buyer always comes along.

2) BE VERY DESCRIPTIVE: Low Ballers are very crafty at using your errors, typos, no details, etc. against you. Example, if you post a car but don't list the mileage then a lot of buyers will assume it has a lot of miles on it so they'll throw you a low ball offer. Avoid this type of annoyance by simply listing every important detail needed in the description. It'll save you from having to go back and forth

3) BE OPEN TO TRADES: Now I know many sellers on here like to put "no trades" on their posts, but often times trading can work to your advantage, and you'll gain more in the long run. Let's say you post an item for 100 bucks right? Cool. So you get a buyer who low balls you for 50 right? Then he/she tells you that's all they have but they really want the item and they're not mobile, so you have to bring it to them. and they stay 35 mins away. So how do we make this deal beneficial? Accept a trade. Instead of declining the deal altogether, simply say "I'll accept your offer of 50 if you're willing to add an item worth 50". This tactic usually works for me 90% of the time. if a buyer seriously wants an item they can't really afford, they'll usually have no problem making a trade with you. So cash plus trade is always a win. Plus, you're adding more inventory to flip."

The second highlighted tip is by @SLCdiscounts. The original thread can be found here Smiley Happy

"If you know the value of your item then sell it for what's fair.
If you're not sure about the price, a good tip especially if your item is common is to search it and see what others selling price is and maybe go $5 or more less if you want it sold quickly.
Sometimes with lowball offers a great comeback is, "Thanks but I'm waiting on a higher offer". And sometimes wait for that higher offer.
If no luck then post, post and post again...

Also helps to add "Deal" or a word similar In the title (if that's what your offering) to get extra attention.

Sometimes if the deal they are offering is way too low, check out their page and do a lil trade/money deal. Sometimes people have what you want without even knowing it thus both parties will be happy. You will get low ball offers it's not disrespect, everyone wants a deal.

All of the remaining tips and advice below can be found in this thread located in the Welcome! forum here

"I'm well documented on this but my policy is to never be rude. Either point out my item is brand new (because most of my items are) and priced $XXX below usual price, or remind them my price is marked firm. When I price items firm, I state it in the first line of my description as well as check the box. I counter, usually very close to asking but that's when some get very nasty, and I just report as needed. I don't get into much, just "thanks, have a nice day”

"I see no reason to respond negatively or be condescending. "Sorry, but $____ is the lowest I'm willing to go. Let me know if you're still interested.

Wouldn't you want something cheaper too? If there's a small chance of it happening I say go for it. The best way to get a better price though, is to ask what the lowest they'll take is.

"I'm always placing low prices on the stuff I sell just to move it faster. And when I obtain free merchandise, as an audio installer, I am given the old equipment when the customer won't take it, I really don't mind the lowballer offers, at this point any offer is profit because my cost was 0…

"I do not like to use the word low-ball. The majority of people who choose OfferUp to shop for deals are doing just that hoping to get the best deal. The seller pretty much has a pricing range in their head. Most buyers with the help of Google search do their research before they decide to make a purchase so they generally have a ballpark figure of how much something is worth. You will always have that person who is in search of the best deal. Ultimately as long as the seller makes it perfectly clear that right now this is my set price the potential buyer will respect your reply and maybe even purchase your item at a later date for the asking price listed. OfferUp is a great platform for buying and selling let's do the best we can to handle every transaction with professionalism and respect. Have a great day and happy buying and selling 😀”

"I could actually stand up for my work a little more. Sometimes I can keep my game face and get my price, but most of the time I feel guilty for the price I ask and either sell it for a marginal profit or the sale falls through. I'm working on a balance. My advice is to STAY FRIENDLY, though, and keep the contact. Some of my best customers have come to me as word of mouth from some of my worst customers!!”

"Be polite and move on! I am The King of lowballing! And I only offer less because some people accept the offer. $5 game boys, $10 for wii, If you are looking for the most value for your item, I wouldn’t sell it on here.”

"I put PRICE IS FIRM on all my ads & also: Please do not contact me unless you're ready to pick up and purchase. Thank you!”

"On each of my post I add either of the following:

“Price is fixed. Lowballers will be blocked”
“Lowballers will be ignored”

I am not scared to come off strict. I don’t like to waste my time on the wrong people.

"1st I'm like? Is this person for real? Then I'll say sorry, thanks for the interest though.

By @PROSS

“Sometimes I ask if they are a person in great need....or i say Thank you but no thanks ....or i say I wish i could help you out but i cant.

Hopefully, you will all find these tips helpful Smiley Happy Make sure to check out our Welcome! forum and Pro Tips forum where discussions are constantly taking place and don't forget to share your own.

How do you deal with lowballers?explain the practical evidence . Look at full overall value compared to my most fairly reasonable asking price.
Level 3

I am trying to be reasonable with my pricing , i post lower than what others priced their items but getting frustrated how almost all of my offers are very low like half off or those who offer acceptable offers decided to change their minds and not buy. Im getting tired of all the wasted time and energy...but must not give up! Thanks for all the customers who are considerate of the people on the other end and vice versa...

Block Captain

I just stick to my guns and wait. I know what my items are worth and like others mentioned a lot of lowballers are resellers or competitors and just trying to take your profit from you. Still... Everything eventually sells. If you are impatient or desperate you will get less here. In general i feel clist buyers spend more. However on the flip side some of my highest sales have been on offerup, i just had to wait. It takes me an average of 1 to 2 weeks to sell an item on here at a higher price sometimes longer. I agree with other posts to just be nice to lowballers. Better chance of still getting a sale later. I have had people submit frustrating offers i rejected then buy a week later close to asking price.

Neighbor

If you don’t wish to negotiate or to be worried with low ballers, decide what you want for your item or service and set your price. It won’t except another price. I’ve sold and bought several things on this site and if I can get it for a lower price, I’m going to try. Thanks 

Block Captain

We all want a good deal. I don’t mind the low ballers. When someone states Low Ballers will either be ignored or be blocked, I think to myself. A good deal is a state of mind. What’s a good deal might not be a a good deal to you. And what is a good deal to you might be a horrible deal to me. 

Community Manager

That is EXACTLY my feels on lowballers, @Sold4less!!

Welcome to the community.

Block Captain

Here’s my thing—and there have been several people commenting that they’re almost offended being referred to as “low-ballers” and it’s called offerup for a reason and so on but there is also a PRICE FIRM option on for a reason as well.  If the seller is willing to negotiate or hear your offer, then very simply they will not mark the firm price option.  Otherwise you’re just disregarding the sellers very clear wishes.  

If there will be some argument to this, then please explain the discrepancy with my comment;  I’m always willing to listen but this seems pretty clear-  if a seller says their price is firm, don’t try and offer anything other than their listed price—if the seller hasn’t marked price firm then go nuts!  Nobody said people shouldn’t be able to offer what they want but show some respect to those asking for it.  Just my 2 cents....which isn’t an offer for anything 😂 peace y’all

Block Captain

I don't see a "low ball" offer as being disrespectful.  I have bought and sold quite a bit on here and prefer it over other sales sites.  If an item i have for sale says price firm, noone knows what circumstances have revealed themselves after the post and since the offer will remain on the sellers wall the entire life of the post then the buyer will see if the seller eventually reduces his price. I believe there is no such thing as "lowball". Just don't be rude as a buyer or seller.  Violate that rule and there is a BLOCK button for that. 

Level 2

It's so irritating when you're already selling the item for way less than it's worth and lowballers are still trying to go significantly lower than the price offered.  For example, an item that normally costs $118 I bought new, selling in Like-New condition for $60 and people want it for $30 or less is ridiculous.  Those people should just go to goodwill or the trash.  

Block Captain

I at times just say “I have a person coming this afternoon. If they are a no show, I’ll let you know. Thanks”

When someone offers me a ridiculously low amount,  I simply reply "No Thank you" . 

If they are a serious buyer they will respond with a reasonable offer.

If the item is available new I email the link with the price.  

Level 3

I have gone up and down with this subject. I have sold over 400 items here and to this day a low ball offer makes the hair on my neck stand up. I now just thank them for their offer and inform them that it is below my lowest offer and can not accept. If they are truely interested and not just yanking your chain, they will make a more reasonable offer. 

Neighbor

Nice 👍 

Level 5

yeahh robyn

Level 2

'I support many charities...but you are not one of them!'

Level 2

I support many charities...but you are not one of them!