Introducing Buy Now on OfferUp

Community Manager

With thousands of items getting posted on OfferUp daily, you’ll probably find an item that you just need to have. Currently, to express an interest on an item you’d like to purchase, you tap on the “Ask” or “Make Offer” options. From there, you schedule a meetup that works for everyone’s schedules, swap cash for the item in question, and then bring your new item home.

Let’s assume you and the seller both have super busy schedules, and the seller wants to sell the item on a first come first serve basis using OfferUp Shipping. If only there was a way to skip the back-and-forth and take that item off the seller’s hands with the push of a button. Introducing OfferUp Buy Now! Buy and sell what you want, right now — shipped right to your door and with less hassle.

As a seller, enabling the “Buy Now” option takes no time at all! When you’re ready to list your item, select that you’re firm on the price, and on the next screen, you’ll see the option to select the first full-price offer using Buy Now. Voila! Your most motivated buyers will be thrilled. Note - the item must be shipping enabled to use this feature.

Buy Now.png

When you enable the "Buy now" button on an item you're selling, you get two things done:

1. You make it more likely that you'll get a full-price offer, because buyers see that you're ready to sell quickly
  2. You make it easier to finish a sale: when you get a full-price offer, the system accepts it for you automatically, and sends you your pre-paid shipping label right away.

What do buyers see?

The only difference in your listing will be the brightly-colored "Buy now" button. When a buyer gets all the information they need from your listing and they're ready to commit to the purchase, they tap that button and the sale is ready to complete. You just have to drop the item off for shipping, and as soon as the USPS scans the package, your payment will process.

Buy Now 2.png

I personally LOVE this feature. I tried it out a couple of weeks ago, and WOW was it easy to use! I had actually completely forgotten that I had listed an item, enabled the “Buy now” feature, and suddenly I had a message saying “Full price offer accepted!” I was alerted that the item was fully paid for, and all I had to do was ship it out the next day. The buyer and I didn’t even have to chat, she knew exactly what she wanted and purchased it on the spot. It was one of the easiest, and most seamless selling experiences I’ve had up to this point! Within a couple days, the buyer had a beautiful new gemstone that I had no use for, and I was $20 richer. Cha-chiiiiing!

We’re super excited about this new feature! What are your thoughts on this? Comment below with any thoughts and opinions, and let me know what you think about Buy Now when you try it!

46 Comments
Community Helper

This feature sounds like a win/win for Shippers on OU @Mj_206! I will definitely be enabling this feature with Shipping, this next holiday season. Fun! Smiley Wink

Community Member

This is for me the best option to sell.. Great tool! And the shipping cost is ok . 

Level 2

This feature is potentially the reason for all the payment problems. I’ve been waiting for days to get paid a large sum of money. Transaction is complete except for paying me and from what I can tell in the forums more people than ever aren’t getting paid in time. Once you register your problem with Offerup support they go radio silent on you. I can get no information as to what the holdup is or when I will get paid. My buyer doesn’t know what to do to help! I’m very sour on this until they get the bugs worked out and Offerup must clean up their act on communication if they expect to retain big sellers like me! I want change!!!

Neighbor

I believe OfferUp keeps your money and collects interest on it for a few days and then releases the money to you.  When I did those transactions I was constantly asking where my money was. According to their terms and conditions once the buyer okays the product, you should get paid. Keep blowing them up. Sorry you’re having trouble like this, that sucks!

Level 2

I have sold a few items this way and personally like shipping much more than meeting in person, so much easier! Thanks for adding this feature!

I had this checked for a while and no one used it so I turned it off. Most people I find with my items like to ask questions. I think with EBay it works because EBay sellers have actual feedback that people can read so they can trust the seller and not have to ask so many questions based on reading feedback about the quality of the sellers items and will use the Buy It Now because the feedback has shown a trusted seller. Here not so much because people have nothing to read about the sellers and the items they have sold. Condition, care in packaging, speed of shipping etc..so there's not that quick decision to trust the item and seller without asking questions. That's just how I personally feel not sure about others..

Captain

I have been successful 3 or 4 times when shipping using the OfferUp shipping program. Helps to have a fair number of successful transactions and a lot of offerings.

@Sandiegoguy1  Good to hear! Yes the shipping has been good for me in the past. I turned the Buy It Now off awhile back I might turn it back on again now that I have a new line of items that I'm selling. I'll see how it goes. Most everything is local right now.

Level 2

I just shipped an item. The offerup chart showed max weight 10lbs. When I printed the label off it showed 18lbs. Why is there such a difference?

Community Helper

@RockeyC 

What were you charged for shipping? $12 or $40?

Community Manager

I took a loot at this payment, @RockeyC - it looks like the $12 shipping option was selected, which is the 3-10lb category. Good eye! Not sure why there was a difference - I'll ask around!

Level 2

just wanted to know if your weight charts need to be updated.  do not want to charge buyers more than I have to for shipping

Level 3

I’ve never used this option....my question is how about packaging supplies? Is this all my cost? I see that labels will be sent to me...but then I have to package the item and take it to the post office, or shipping store etc...so is the packaging and supplies all my cost plus having to drive to somewhere to ship and then wait in line? Doesn’t sound like a convenience to me! Am I missing something🤷‍♀️

Community Manager

@Nancy15 The good thing is this feature is completely optional, so if you don't see the value in it you don't have to use it! This feature can be helpful to many different buyers and sellers. As with any other seller sites, like eBay, Craigslist and Etsy, packing supply costs are the responsibility of the seller. When I ship items out, I just use leftover old Amazon boxes I had around the house. Mayn sellers that use this feature are professional online sellers who are used to making these shipping transactions. You can schedule pickups for when the item gets sent out, which allows you to skip the post office. Overall, I think the feature cuts down on a lot of the back and forth and can be incredibly convenient! Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to go out and meet up with someone, and would rather just get the package delivered but maybe that's just me Smiley LOL

Level 5

I LOVE SHIPPING!!!!

I would however prefer to see pricing a bit more accurate.   I think some adjusting could be made in this area.  IJS Woman Wink

Neighbor

I can say I had a horrible experience with the new full offer being accepted and paid. The label GIVEN to me from offerup was another person's name and address in another state instead of me! I only noticed that it was all wrong after packing up the huge item and printed the label. What a mess this system is. They need to have a name and address verified process prior to the label. A day later after emailing for help. I was told I have to cancel the order and ask for the buyer to buy it again! He never answered and I went to a lot of work for nothing. Ugh! 

Hi I'm just joined and I'm very excited about joining ,offer up is an great thing for people to keep up with one another on every thing ,I just love it ,

Sincerely jas2

Level 5

@Gailgolf 

The return address was not you? WOW!  That's a new one.  

Funny story though, when the kid here was addressing thank you notes recently, he put the "to address" in the return address field.  Pretty histerical I thought.  At any rate, you were on top of it and if "Buy Now" works as intended your money was stored until item's receipt by buyer.  Personally this option has worked 99.999% perfect for me.   That 0.001% was a snapfu on my part for not watching items I had posted close enough.  (two such items went out the garage I had listed on OfferUp, frankly I gave them away)  Talk about an angry buyer though..  whew!    I am in the middle of moving and adopting so I am a bit helter skelter here.  Items are going out the door, window, garage, ....  99.999% by online shoppers.   I am not going to complain for one second and Mr Angry Shopper could have purchased earlierWoman LOLWoman WinkWoman Happy  Patience my friend, it  ALWAYS works out in the end.

Happy $ale$!! 

Level 5

Quote me if you would like.  OfferUp presented an opportunity for me personally to unburden myself with things I no longer used or needed.  Things that cluttered both my home and my life.  Little by little and step by step, I am feeling a bit lighter with a little bit more jingle in my pocket.

Be patient friends and neighbors.  Inspect the label before you print it, (duh) if incorrect (never happened to me) do not package until corrected, and lastly lets be nice.  Help when you feel it in your bones to help, charge em' double when they are obnoxious and rude.  Woman LOL

Only one opinion and hey, it was FREE! 

If you meet up in person and use the app to get paid do you get your money right away or do u have to wait? 

@Suep1012  it says up to 6 day for using the local payment app.

https://ask.offerup.com/1120579421

I like it but I don't like that I have to check firm on price. Why wouldn't they just put an option that states "add buy now option"?  What does firm price have to do with buying it now?  Buy it now basically means you want it for the price it is listed for. Do lowballers still send offers if the firm on price is checked?

I would like to send an electronic to someone in another state. I never used the buy now option and concerned the buyer can stop their payment once the item is shipped.  Is that true? My item is worth 300.00.

no. When you get the label to ship the item the customer has already paid.  you ship the item, they get it. now if the item is good and customer is happy they deposit the money into your account. so far I have shipped many items and all has been well. the plus to shipping is you don't have to wait around to meet the customer. you get 3 days to ship. piece of cake.

@Mj_206 wrote:

With thousands of items getting posted on OfferUp daily, you’ll probably find an item that you just need to have. Currently, to express an interest on an item you’d like to purchase, you tap on the “Ask” or “Make Offer” options. From there, you schedule a meetup that works for everyone’s schedules, swap cash for the item in question, and then bring your new item home.

Let’s assume you and the seller both have super busy schedules, and the seller wants to sell the item on a first come first serve basis using OfferUp Shipping. If only there was a way to skip the back-and-forth and take that item off the seller’s hands with the push of a button. Introducing OfferUp Buy Now! Buy and sell what you want, right now — shipped right to your door and with less hassle.

As a seller, enabling the “Buy Now” option takes no time at all! When you’re ready to list your item, select that you’re firm on the price, and on the next screen, you’ll see the option to select the first full-price offer using Buy Now. Voila! Your most motivated buyers will be thrilled. Note - the item must be shipping enabled to use this feature.

Buy Now.png

When you enable the "Buy now" button on an item you're selling, you get two things done:

1. You make it more likely that you'll get a full-price offer, because buyers see that you're ready to sell quickly
  2. You make it easier to finish a sale: when you get a full-price offer, the system accepts it for you automatically, and sends you your pre-paid shipping label right away.

What do buyers see?

The only difference in your listing will be the brightly-colored "Buy now" button. When a buyer gets all the information they need from your listing and they're ready to commit to the purchase, they tap that button and the sale is ready to complete. You just have to drop the item off for shipping, and as soon as the USPS scans the package, your payment will process.

Buy Now 2.png

I personally LOVE this feature. I tried it out a couple of weeks ago, and WOW was it easy to use! I had actually completely forgotten that I had listed an item, enabled the “Buy now” feature, and suddenly I had a message saying “Full price offer accepted!” I was alerted that the item was fully paid for, and all I had to do was ship it out the next day. The buyer and I didn’t even have to chat, she knew exactly what she wanted and purchased it on the spot. It was one of the easiest, and most seamless selling experiences I’ve had up to this point! Within a couple days, the buyer had a beautiful new gemstone that I had no use for, and I was $20 richer. Cha-chiiiiing!

We’re super excited about this new feature! What are your thoughts on this? Comment below with any thoughts and opinions, and let me know what you think about Buy Now when you try it!

Community Helper

@Mystikalhaitian 

Welcome!

Per guidelines, the Buyer can cancel the purchase up until the offer is accepted by the Seller. After the offer is accepted by the Seller, only they can cancel from there on. Or, the Buyer could ask the Seller to cancel their order. Also, if the Buyer does not communicate with the Seller after the initial purchase, the transaction automatically cancels after 6-days. 

Captain

Help. Followed the instructions and posted my item for $6.00 then clicked the second shipping box. Buyer clicked buy now and it only asked her to pay $6.00. There is no customer service phone to call for help. Offerup sucks at responding to e-mails

Level 9

@Chiapet your buyer likely clicked "hold for pickup". This charges her, but it would need to be picked up before you get paid. Cancel this transaction 

You will need to ask her to hit make offer for full price. It sometimes shows the buyer "ship it to me". The hold feature is confusing buyers.

Level 3

Not ship and it will cancel itself, also please note you have option to cancel order, look out for new fees , OfferUp just implement new fee on all sellers 2$ for any online transaction so now you will be charge as seller for your 6$ item 2 $ fee and will get 4$ , I think time trying to ship will cost you more.  eBay now doesn’t look so bad anymore for all millions of sellers with items below 20$ .  Watch out for new unannounced fees from OfferUp 

@Pinksun  this isn't nothing new. 

Sellers pay a service fee (9.9% of the sale price, with a minimum of $1.99) when shipped items sell.

It's been this way for awhile.

Level 9

It has not for me. It was 9.9%.  If i sold a $10 item, i was charged 9.9% not $1.99

Level 3

The 1.99$ fee was rollout 9 days ago and pretty new as 9.99% was raised from 8% to 10% earlier this year.  You will see new charges on all new transactions you do now 

Community Manager

The $1.99 is only for items under $20, and is a singlw flat rate. Items under $20 will only see a $1.99 charge, and not a %.

Level 3

As moderator noted if you post 3$ items you will pay 2$ in fees so probably stop making any sense to sell anything with shipping below 20$ , for many sellers it is put them in position stop shipping small orders , I canceled 5 orders in the last 4 days. Thank you OfferUp 

@RevivalGypsy you got lucky I got stuck with the 1.99 fee a few days ago on a 10.00 item. Its not every sale because if you reach over 1.99 in the % fee of the item you'll just pay the 9.9%

@Pinksun  Its a lot of work but I raised all my prices on Offer up 3.00 more than I have on the other 3 sites I'm selling on. I haven't sold much of anything on this site this year because I raised prices but it is good advertising for local sales. Use the same screen name on all sites you sell on and after awhile people will start looking for your name on other sites where you're prices are less.

Level 9

@Mj_206 yes I think we understood that. So it's roughly 20% on a $10 item. Or 33% on a $6 item

There is a percentage just depends on the sale amount. And..... once again, it was just added to listings with no explanation. Cant even see it until you ACCEPT the offer. It says 9.9% when you agree to ship. Its nonsense to run businesses this way. Other platforms will benefit from this. I choose to pay fees to companies that I trust. I have never in my life distrusted a company as much as I do offerup now. I feel as though we should be watching our bank statements closely waiting for the day they start charging for listings and even previous listings (as they have shown us that this is how they work). I keep considering removing my payment info, but I have heard some accounts being disabled when there was no bank info and I may still do some pickups where I wont pay ou a fee. Until they charge for that too.... 

I am about as anti offerup as it gets now. Quite the switch from when I supported ou and its flaws hoping it would work itself out. 

I am only one small seller here, but I am one of many.

Level 9

@BrightMoonstone I didnt get lucky, I just dont think I sold anything under that value during their change. If I did, I may not have noticed this because I WASNT EXPECTING TO HAVE TO LOOK FOR IT. 

Level 3

@BrightMoonstone 

What other site do you recommend, I was set on OfferUp as they used to have good shipping and reasonable fees but it seems it is time to move away I had 80% sales through shipping now here my sales drop to 5% and local pickup only.  I am sure OfferUp don’t care much as they will get payment from unsuspected inexperience salers who will find it after the fact or never.  But appreciate recommendations 

@Pinksun sent you a message.

I don't want to complain about this feature because I love it and yes it's simple as well as easy but I don't even get what I'm selling my item for. I understand that there are fees but why are they so much ok let me explain I sold and item today for $3 and made the shipping $3 (post office said without label I would have paid $8) but I will only get .51 for it and last week I sold a item for $25 with $10 shipping because it weight 5lbs but OU made it $7 shipping(post office said it would have been $10) but I only got $17? I don't understand am I missing something? Buyer was trying to pay me on Venmo but I told her OU is better and secure...now I'm thinking I should have mailed it myself Smiley Sad 

Level 1

How can I see this option? I live in CA and I didn't see this option when I post items.

Level 1

I have tried to enable the Buy Now option, followed all directions and it doesn't give me that option   ????

Neighbor

I sell on all major sites,  offer up by far hardest to complete a tranaction

Huge waste of my time,  ( i know no one cares )

moving on to easier sites

Robot Indifferent

@Mj_206 wrote:

Buy Now.png

What do buyers see?

Buy Now 2.png

Robot Indifferent

Community Member

I shipped a very expensive ring to a lady in florida last year. After 2 weeks I had not been paid and got a message from her saying it wasnt what she expected and didnt like it. I tried 76 times to email call.. anything I could do to get my ring or money. I was completely ignored. She never sent the ring back and I was never paid. Offer up couldnt have cared less. So all this seller protection is just words, and I will never ship another item from this site not reccoment it to anyone to even be a member.