Introducing NeighborUp

OfferUp employee

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 2.14.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 1.16.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 1.17.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 1.18.15 PM.png

Earlier this summer in Dallas, Texas, a mom of a toddler sold her stroller to an expectant mother on OfferUp. What started as a simple exchange of stuff turned into an hour-long conversation about the unspoken challenges and joys of becoming a mom.

This past weekend in Seattle, Washington, a long-time fisherman sold his Pontoon boat to a fellow angler. After they set up the boat together, they traded stories of rivers fished and memories caught.

Stories like these are what get the OfferUp Community Team out of bed every morning, and they continually remind us that our marketplace is about exchanging more than just goods. We’re helping build bonds between neighbors.

You can read the full story of what we have been working on, on our OfferUp blog here. Smiley Happy

Follow our NeighborUp Instagram here!

53 Comments

I am selling a Wide Variety of collectibles, antiques, toys, furniture, you name it I probably have it for sale.  If anyone can help me get my business on the right track. I'd greatly appreciate it. 

OfferUp employee

@Pilarhomister14 Hi! That's an amazing list of what you're selling Smiley Happy You should post this in the Business Advice forum to see if other entrepreneurs can help!  

Captain

Hello I am very new, I have posted items at a nice price, this seems to be a blessed forum, I would accept,obo

OfferUp employee

@POINZEE Welcome to OfferUp and the Online Community Smiley Very Happy We're so happy to have you here! 

Hello everyone I have been on here for a while but just know I am seeing this part of OfferUp in particular.

I have been struggling alot to keep a safe, warm, and dry living investment over my partner and my own head. So I have been looking through just about any site I could think of and OfferUp is the first one that I have come across were not everything is being sold as if it was leaving the dealership for the first time, I just hope that I can get some luck on here 

OfferUp employee

@ChellBeLove Aw, welcome to the community! I would recommend going through the four different sections of the blog and reading through all of the advice on starting and features, and then going to the forums and introducing yourself! Smiley Happy Feel free to come find me if you have any questions and I can't wait to hear how your first experience with buying or selling on OfferUp goes!

Neighbor

What a heart warming story. I've actually had times like this  when I've sold or bought something and the person I met turns out to be my "best friend". I have a handful of acquaintance that I've met through the app. It's always so neat to hear others stories and where the particular item came from etc. 

Hello, I have been buying and selling here on OfferUp for 2-3 years now!!! I love it!! It is easy buying, and selling here on OfferUp! Safety is a high priority in anything I do these days with people connecting with others that they wouldnt normaly do 10 , 15 years ago!! Im Knew to this part of OfferUp and really cant wait to dive in and become a more productive seller/buyer!!!

Thank You, 

LKid76

Captain

@Elin wrote:

Earlier this summer in Dallas, Texas, a mom of a toddler sold her stroller to an expectant mother on OfferUp. What started as a simple exchange of stuff turned into an hour-long conversation about the unspoken challenges and joys of becoming a mom.

This past weekend in Seattle, Washington, a long-time fisherman sold his Pontoon boat to a fellow angler. After they set up the boat together, they traded stories of rivers fished and memories caught.

Stories like these are what get the OfferUp Community Team out of bed every morning, and they continually remind us that our marketplace is about exchanging more than just goods. We’re helping build bonds between neighbors.

You can read the full story of what we have been working on, on our OfferUp blog here. Smiley Happy

Ou1

I can affirm the community connection that occurs thru offer up!  I bought my dream antique Mercedes Benz on offerup and have made a friend!  The seller and I maintain text contact.  Each time we do something to the car to restore her I’m sure to let the seller know and she loves the updates!  Such fun!  She loved this car and is happy that I’m giving her some tender loving care! 

@Elin wrote:

Level 9

Hey OfferUp Community I’m 57Chevy I’ve been a member for going on 2 years I love the site. I’m unfortunately in the process of letting items go that means a lot to me but it has to be done for the reason is I recently lost my husband of 30 years and my home of 19 years is in foreclosure I’m devastated and heartbroken. I’ve got a lot of items worth money and it breaks my heart to have to post them for so cheap. Yesterday I actually had a past buyer threaten me for I sold him a 10K Necklace and no where in my description does it say Gold or Gold Plated. All my jewelry is mostly from Jared so it not cheap but the money I make I put into a account to try to save my house that my late husband worked so hard for but the bank or anyone else will not give me a loan to help. I would recommend the site to everyone I LOVE ❤️ this SITE. Thx 57 Chevy

Level 9

I believe that this is going to be part of the process where  people  will meet people  and intersect with each other and become log lasting friends

This will bring people  together 

Neighbor

Hello my name is Tim I'm a combat veteran that got hurt and came home to divorce court and became a single parent of a 10 year old and 6 year old. I'm very grateful for this site as we have been able to liquidate some of our things taking up space in order to make ends meet and I just ask that if you guys have time possibly at our page see if there's something that you may like and there's so much more that's not posted send me a text and let me know I'm sure I have it somewhere it really does help especially with the holidays coming up thanks good luck to all of you hope you do well take care and happy holidays!!!(

Neighbor

I'm trying to say hello. Plus find out do I put something's up for sale

Level 1

Aloha

Wow, cool 

Neighbor

Hi

Good stuff. I heard about Offer Up within the last couple years, cool opportunity to buy or sell things you might need within the local community. Definitely a great avenue if you need appliances/etc for moving or buying and selling collectibles.

Level 1

Then why can't they connect me to someone who needs a lttle girls bike. thats why i'm here to offer it up as something out grown, its a girls bike, 20 inch wheels. someone please find a user page so we can talk to a real person again.

I'm not looking for money here.

Captain

Hello everyone, I've been few years on offerup, I really enjoy it, and I am very new here on this community group. I have multiple things for sale, I will accept any nice offer because I need to move ASAP. Let me know! 😊❤️

Love it 

Well i like what i seen so far on this app hope i don’t run into any problems but i just started like two 3 days ago and today i just made my first agreement to purchase some things tommorow the conversation went well and i hope that everything goes well because it’s 2018 and what I’ve seen on the news in 2017 all the killings it’s seems like it is getting worse but I’m just a man with an opinion that’s all well again i hope to get satisfaction out of this website because this is my last app I’m ever downloading to purchase things off of our neighbors lol just be careful and always be aware of what is going on while meeting people but that’s a whole other story i can get into now i might just go on this blog and have a discussion about this lol shh my wife just woke up goodnight OfferUp buyers and sellers 

Neighbor

Hello everyone I am fairly new to OfferUp I signed up about five days ago posted a treadmill for sale and three days later sold The treadmill to a very nice lady who kept in constant communication until the purchase was complete. It’s s been a good experience and I hope it continues that way. Good luck to you all with you buying and selling.

OfferUp employee

@Tesha1107 That's so awesome to hear Tesha! I'm glad it went so well Smiley Happy Welcome to the community! 

Captain

@ColdWorldSo89 

hello and welcome to offer up! Hopefully it will be the last and only buying and selling site you ever use, I seen your comment about those unfortunate accidents with the ones that lost their lives during transactions and thought I’d give a little tip that I use when making transactions : police stations now days have internet swap selling parking spots in the police Dept parking lots that Are just for buying and selling things off the internet and are to make sales more comfortable and safe for both parties so may I suggest you use this tip for the future and also pass it along and if needed. Hope this helps ease any worries or doubts and again welcome and happy selling / buying Smiley Happy 

Level 1

Features I wish offer up had that it REALLY needs:

1: HIDE all SOLD items

2: HIDE all listings from BLOCKED users (this would greatly solve all the Spam problems on my end since there are people posting a ridiculously Annoying qty of duplicate posts offering services I'm not interested in)

3: offer a SERVICES section (this might also help fix the aforementioned problem)

4: HIDE duplicate listings

I would even go as far as to say I would pay $2 to unlock these features since it would make my browsing experience much more enjoyable.

OfferUp employee

Thanks for your feedback @Rmdelete. You should definitely post this in feedback threads already happening in the forums! 

Level 1

Sorry @Elin I'm very new to this board and was posting using the interface of both my phone and offerup itself. I couldn't find that particular thread you mentioned I'll try again with my pc 

Level 3

That what I like, you become  at times more then a seller....new friends.

Level 9

Help My Sold Button is GONE. I’ve Sold a couple of items but can’t make them as sold. What do I do? This is 57CHEVY 

Level 1

This is a community  if we all help eachother  not only we as sellers can sell things easier but you as buyers can find things for cheaper prices when we help each other

😊 me encanta offerup

Level 4

I think the neighbor up concept is a fantastic idea especially for those around our area!

OfferUp employee

@McNeal Great to hear! Smiley Happy We will be in the Seattle area this fall coming up, so definitely stay tuned! Also, you can follow our NeighborUp Instagram here for content and updates as we expand! 

Level 3

I'm also new to offer up. I've had a few listings posted and seem to get only "window shoppers". Why don't people understand what the phrase "serious inquiries only" means ? Just get annoyed at all lookers and no buyers . 

Level 3

As far as lowball offers, the price is non negotiable. How low does the price have to go for some people ? If you can't afford it don't ask ! People want things free or cheap these days and those of us selling are looking to make some $$, not give things away. People need to understand sell means sell, not free ! 

Level 9

I agree with u all the way. I just sold a set of 31 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Model’s that I invested over $3200 it went for $50. I always do my research before I post anything on OfferUp I either or higher or slightly lower then what my research suggests and they still lowball me. I’ve even been threatened by buyers saying that if I don’t sell it to them for this price they’ll have a friend say their interested in buying where can we meet. So sometimes I put sold on it wait a couple months then put it back up for sale.

Level 1

I understand the frustrations of having many questions... the solution to that is to have a VERY VERY descriptive listing,  detailing things such as "size H x W x D" weight,  why I am getting rid of it, the general area I am located by giving a couple of well known landmarks in my area like "near the costco and walmart on Street name".  etc... I find that although it might be a PITA to initially list all these details it tends to get rid of the people who ask questions like "What is wrong with it?" "what size is it?" "How old is it?" etc

As far as low ball offers go... that's a whole different animal.. the fact that the app is called "OFFERup" just means you are more likely to get hagglers on here than other apps like FB Marketplace and Letgo and even Craigslist.... I for one admit I JUST did my first semi lowball offer on someone.. the reasons behind it was that the item had been listed for over four months, I saw various re-listings where the person was knocking off a few dollars every time... then I looked at where they were located (a good 1 hr drive)  and the LAST TIME I drove someplace to pick up an item that was over 45 minutes away I got stood up / flaked on... absolutely NOT a good experience, so I figured the cost of my gas and the time I would have to use and THEN subtracted what I felt would make it worth my drive and made the offer which in turn ended up looking like a "low ball" offer... but it really wasn't that low ball considering all my factors... so low ball offers DO suck... but this is "OFFER up" after all... we will all get them. 

As far as NeighborUp goes.... I currently belong to a similar social site called "NextDoor" where it does essentially everything "NeighborUp" is touting to be, soooo I might download it but I just wanted to let you all know there are alternate apps for that... however NextDoor is only open to home owners I believe.

OfferUp employee

Hey @Rmdelete! NeighborUp is actually not an app. It's a community experience program where we are going city to city hosting events and bringing our community members together Smiley Happy You can read all about it on our website here. Let me know if you have any questions about it, or anything else. We will have more exciting blog posts on it in the coming weeks, so stay tuned! 

Awesome

Level 1

I feel that life is too fast and everyone is in a hurry. Stories like this just remind us that "when u have to stand in line at a gas station and its taking forever", its the world allowing us to take a breather and enjoy stories about fishermen telling stories.

Hi Elin ,I'm kinda new to this and I must say: I love it; it's so much fun.

Neighbor

let me know when you have generator

Level 1

I’ve been on offer up for about 2 years now give r take , and I’ve never met people (localy) just like me and that share the same passions as me . here I have been able to not only buy sell truck parts but I’ve also met some of my best people in our community and converse talk trucks a bit and have fun. that there is a great thing . offer up is the best invention since squeeze bottle jelly thank you guys  , jose

OfferUp employee

@Meislookin4deal I'm so happy to hear that!! It is a lot of fun. Smiley Happy

OfferUp employee

@Jose_51323 Hahaha. That is so awesome! Also, squeeze bottle jelly is dang good, isn't it? Smiley Wink

Community Helper

@Elin, the NeighborUp site is showing an error "This website is pending domain owner verification" . 

OfferUp employee
Community Helper

It may have been a temporary glitch. Thanks @Elin . I'm really excited about the things OfferUp is implementing!