OfferUp + AIM Group = SafeTradeSpots.com

Community Manager

Today we launch SafeTradeSpots.com, the largest national and searchable database of thousands of police departments and law enforcement agencies that have designated locations to conduct in-person transactions.

This original post can be found on the OfferUp blog here

If there’s one constant that has followed us the last seven years, it’s that we’re always innovating to deliver exciting new features like shipping and community programs like NeighborUp to our marketplace. We do this because we’re always seeking opportunities to improve and give our users what they want. The ability to ship items is important to people who want a unique item they can’t find in their local area. NeighborUp was created to continue building trust, both on and off the app, with our neighbors, our communities.

SafeTradeSpots is our latest initiative that takes another proactive and actionable step towards building a trusted and safer peer-to-peer marketplace. We kicked off our community safety efforts with our Community Meetup Spots last year, and this collaboration with the AIM Group was the next logical step in combining similar efforts with one goal in mind: creating safer communities.

meetup spot.jpeg

As much as we care about keeping the OfferUp experience as safe as possible, our work wouldn’t be complete without creating a nationwide database, accessible to anyone — OfferUp user or not — where people can exchange an item in a brightly lit and surveilled location. Community Meetup Spots aren’t going anywhere, but they are expanding as a resource for anyone to use at SafeTradeSpots.com.

SafeTradeSpots.com combines the locations currently available as Community MeetUp Spots in the OfferUp app and from the AIM Group’s SafeTradeStations.com. The new site is the largest repository of safe-exchange locations in the U.S with more than 1,300 verified locations. It’s now ours to continue to host and grow this existing database in our app, and manage and update the new SafeTradeSpots.com site as new law enforcement agencies are added to the program as part of our larger goal to educate individuals and law enforcement on how transacting at public and surveilled spots can keep our neighborhoods safer.

We encourage everyone to take advantage of meeting at a Community Meetup Spot. Find out how by checking out this post from our online Community. Anyone who doesn’t have a sign in their town need not worry. Simply ask your local police department to request a free sign here, and as soon as we have confirmation that their sign has been officially designated, you’ll be able to select that location in the OfferUp app and find it at SafeTradeSpots.com.

If you’ve used a Community Meetup Spot, we want to see your OfferUp meetups! Tag us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the hashtag #offerup to be featured in a post. Share your meetup stories below!"

18 Comments

This is totally a good idea! Meeting someone you don’t know is already nerve racking lol

Community Manager

@Mz_Necessary I totally agree! One of my favorite announcements! Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Level 2

Best idea yet! I just joined and brought my handy taser along for the ride. I'll be sure to use the meet up spots! Thanks!

Community Manager

Welcome to the community, @Rita247Smiley Very Happy

Level 2

Awww thank you so much!! 😘

Block Captain

I love this, makes me feel safer when meeting up with someone. Thank you

Neighbor

When I lived in the Seattle area, the manager of Denny's allowed me access .I always stayed to buy a meal as a thank you for his kindness. 

Yes, safe trade locations are a great idea. 

Neighbor

That is so good to know.im a single mom and i am usually alone when i meet someone and everytime im alittle nervous so glad to be apart of this community

Thank you...

Thank you for the information

Neighbor

Please be kind to one another, be cautious as always, but this is definitely a great idea, and to all the ones that just came in . WelcomeHeart

How to feel a little more comfortable now this is good to know I just came across the community forums did not know offer up had this makes me feel better

Now I feel a little more comfortable now this is good to know I just came across the community forums did not know offer up had this makes me feel better

Level 3

I totally dig this. Go team OfferUp!

Great idea guys and good job getting this all together in one spot! Will be using this in the near future.

Block Captain

I always have the item ready on my porch and I give the person my name so they don't feel nervous, but its great to know that there is places in the area for people that would feel better to meet at a local spot. I love offer up Thank you for making it a great place to sell and make a few dollars. Good bye Ebay

Neighbor

This a great safe concept. Who ever thought of this is genius.

Block Captain

I'm new here. In Los Angeles, all LAPD stations and LA County Sheriffs stations allow you and encourage you to use their lobby to complete online transactions. 

Using a different platform, I was once selling a home theater surround sound system. It was late but I was willing to meet, so I suggested a police station that was actually quite convenient to the buyer. At last minute, the buyer notifed he wouldn't meet because it was "weird" and seemed like I had "something to hide." 

It's one thing to have these meetUp spots, another to get people accustomed to using them. 

Level 2

I don’t know why but Offerup deleted one of my posts today clearly the price was stated 30 For everything in the picture but I was willing to separate items if someone was interested. I had a buyer on their way here and you deleted my post they are for the buyer was not able to contact me and I was not able to contact the buyer. I am becoming frustrated with Offerup not allowing you to adjust your listing they just delete your listing. I have no idea why my listing was deleted