Player's Handbook!

Community Manager

This post can also be found here.

Welcome to the OfferUp community forums! At OfferUp, we are committed to maintaining an inclusive, helpful, and respectful community. We ask that all of our community members follow our Community Guidelines for when using the app and the OfferUp Service and these Forum Community Guidelines when using the OfferUp community forums. These Forum Community Guidelines help foster and grow an enjoyable community for all.

1) Be neighborly. We don’t all live next door to each other, but we think every experience can be better if we act like we do. We want the OfferUp community to welcome great opportunities and conversations.

• Be courteous, kind, and respectful.
    • Encourage helpful answers.
    • Give Kudos where appropriate.
    • Encourage useful content from other community members when you can.
  • Be fair, polite, and transparent.
    • If someone is asking for help, feel free to help and point them in the right direction.
    • If you don’t know the answer, ask for help in the appropriate channels.
  • Stay on topic within the forums.
    • Avoid posting replies that don’t offer value or contribute to the conversation.
    • If you want to discuss something new, start a new topic, unless one exists. Going off topic in a forum thread or post will result in moderation such as removal of post, or removal of account if the violations continue.
  • Remember to be helpful, say thank you, and encourage useful content from other community members when you can. 

2) Be ethical. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to violations of good citizenship. This is a place to be your best self. If you infringe on the security, privacy, safety, or dignity of the members of the community, your contributions to the forum may be removed. In severe cases or repeated violations you will not be welcome and may be asked to leave or banned from the forums and we may suspend, ban, or take other action on your account(s).

• No bullying, violence, discrimination, harassment, or threats of any kind. For example,
    • Profanity or hate speech against other members of the community.
    • Threats of violence against others.
    • Any attempt to intimidate, harass, or otherwise violate the safety and well-being of others.
    • Posting another person’s personal information, such as personal phone numbers, email addresses, and account details.
    • Discrimination or mistreatment on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disability.
    • Anything perceived as an intentional put down or insult will be moderated.
  • No misrepresentation. For example,
    • Impersonation of other people, entities, or OfferUp employees.
    • Offers with information that is misleading or false.
    • Misuse of kudos and/or solutions is not permitted.
  • No violations of law. For example,
    • Transmit or otherwise make available any content that you do not have the right to provide or transmit.
    • Transmit, distribute, store, create, or otherwise sell or offer for sale anything that violates our Prohibited Items Guidelines.
    • Transmit or otherwise make available any content that contains software viruses.
    • Use the forums to infringe or violate the intellectual property rights or any other rights of anyone else (including OfferUp).
  • No coarse, vulgar, abusive, or suggestive language.
    • We prohibit sexual harassment or any comments related to another member’s looks, relationship status, etc.
    • Do not make comments on anyone's appearance. 
  • No spam or unsolicited offers. For example,
    • Unsolicited communication.
    • Any misleading, false, or malicious communication.
    • Content meant to drive traffic to other sites, or advertising of any products. 

3) Be proactive.  Please take your personal well-being as seriously as we do by making good decisions.

• Avoid giving away personal information.
    • Do not post any personal information about yourself or others, such as: email, phone number, addresses, Private Message content, OfferUp account details, and other personal information.
  • Report problems.
    • If you see something that does not follow our guidelines, make sure to report the inappropriate content and let us know.
    • If a single post has been reported more than twice by different people, it will be removed.
    • If a single Community Member is reported more than once, they may experience a termporary or permanent ban.

The OfferUp team may, but is not required to, reach out and may remove content from the OfferUp community forums that violates these guidelines. In severe cases or repeated violations, we may suspend, ban, or take other action on the violator’s accounts. OfferUp may, but it not obligated to moderate access to and use of the OfferUp community forums in its sole discretion through any means (including, for example blocking, filtering, deletion, delay, omission, verification, and/or termination of your access). Futhermore, we have the right to remove any posting you make on the OfferUp community forums if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with these Forum Community Guidelines, the OfferUp Terms of Service, and any other OfferUp Service rules, including without limitation the Prohibited Items Guidelines. You may not bypass or attempt to bypass such moderation.

Remember, our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy apply to your access and use of any part of the OfferUp Service, including the OfferUp community forums. Please see our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

We reserve the right to change these guidelines at any point.

26 Comments
Community Manager

Guys - it's really important that you all read every word of these guidelines. If a post violates our guidelines, it will be moderated. In NO WAY is that an infringement on your freedom of speech. While everyone does have freedom of speech, if there are clearly written rules and guidelines that are totally ignored, then we'll remove the post in violation. Just as I was just told "nobody is above the law" nobody on these forums is above our guidelines. 

Level 6

Pretty sad that this needed to be spelled out so in depth. 

Community Manager

I agree, @RevivalGypsy. These guidelines were posted over a year ago (a year and 2 days to be exact!) but there still seems to be confusion surrounding threads or posts getting removed. 

These rules aren't new here, they aren't new to most online forums, and they really aren't that strict. 

Thank you to those that follow these guidelines! Heart

Level 10! You're a 10!

Great refresher to "all" OfferUp users @Mj_206!

Not sure why your post got reposted 😕

It is that good... 😀

Level 10! You're a 10!

@Mj_206 I totally agree with you,

most people don’t take the time to read the OfferUp guidelines let alone the terms of service, I was one of those people that didn’t do it at first, after reading through the forum, I started getting involved and found I need the knowledge of the rules, I contacted Elin saying I’ve been using the OfferUp app for years, asking her if there was any rules I should follow here in the forum, she pointed me in the right directions, reading everything both of the guidelines forum and app guidelines, also the terms of service, I would highly recommend at least taking some time just to read both guidelines, before messaging in the app or the forum posting comments, or starting new threads. its up to us as OfferUp members to be accountable for the actions in the app and the forum. 

Community Manager

Thanks for the insightful post, @Hotrod Smiley Happy 

I don't exactly enjoy enforcing the rules or being the "bad cop" but from time to time it needs to happen. I want each and every one of us, all 300,000, to be happy and successful buying or selling on OfferUp Smiley Very Happy

Level 3

I agree w you and hotrod but rules that brake our laws are not enforcableenand can lead to legal action.u cannot have rules that violate someones civil rights.the law of our land overrides any and all rules u may think u go by..law not ur rules governing our land

Community Manager

@Thankuall these guidelines were approved by our in-house layers. You have violated several of our guidelines which is why I took action. All actions were approved by our lawyers. If you have concerns, reach out to me directly.

Community Manager

Per our terms:

"8. User Content

OfferUp reserves the right, but does not have the obligation, to remove, screen or edit any User Content posted, transmitted, or stored on the OfferUp Service at any time and for any reason without notice.

9. Moderation

You agree that OfferUp may moderate access to and use of the OfferUp Service in our sole discretion through any means (including, for example, blocking, filtering, deletion, delay, omission, verification, and/or termination of your access. Furthermore, we have the right to remove any posting you make on the OfferUp Service if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in Sections 7 and 8 above, and any other OfferUp Service rules, including without limitation the Prohibited Items Guidelines."

Community Leader

@Mj_206 wrote:

Welcome to the OfferUp community forums! At OfferUp, we are committed to maintaining an inclusive, helpful, and respectful community. We ask that all of our community members follow our Community Guidelines for when using the app and the OfferUp Service and these Forum Community Guidelines when using the OfferUp community forums. These Forum Community Guidelines help foster and grow an enjoyable community for all.

1) Be neighborly. We don’t all live next door to each other, but we think every experience can be better if we act like we do. We want the OfferUp community to welcome great opportunities and conversations.

• If someone is asking for help, feel free to help and point them in the right direction.
    • Avoid posting replies that don’t offer value or contribute to the conversation.
    • If you want to discuss something new, start a new topic, unless one exists. Going off topic in a forum thread or post will result in moderation such as removal of post, or removal of account if the violations continue.
  • Remember to be helpful, say thank you, and encourage useful content from other community members when you can. 

2) Be ethical. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to violations of good citizenship. This is a place to be your best self. If you infringe on the security, privacy, safety, or dignity of the members of the community, your contributions to the forum may be removed. In severe cases or repeated violations you will not be welcome and may be asked to leave or banned from the forums and we may suspend, ban, or take other action on your account(s).

• No bullying, violence, discrimination, harassment, or threats of any kind. For example,
    • Any attempt to intimidate, harass, or otherwise violate the safety and well-being of others.
    • Posting another person’s personal information, such as personal phone numbers, email addresses, and account details.
    • Discrimination or mistreatment on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disability.
    • Transmit or otherwise make available any content that you do not have the right to provide or transmit.
    • Transmit, distribute, store, create, or otherwise sell or offer for sale anything that violates our Prohibited Items Guidelines.
    • Transmit or otherwise make available any content that contains software viruses.
    • Use the forums to infringe or violate the intellectual property rights or any other rights of anyone else (including OfferUp).
    • We prohibit sexual harassment or any comments related to another member’s looks, relationship status, etc.
    • Content meant to drive traffic to other sites, or advertising of any products. 

3) Be proactive.  Please take your personal well-being as seriously as we do by making good decisions.

• Do not post any personal information about yourself or others, such as: email, phone number, addresses, Private Message content, OfferUp account details, and other personal information.
  • Report problems.
    • If you see something that does not follow our guidelines, make sure to report the inappropriate content and let us know.
    • If a single post has been reported more than twice by different people, it will be removed.
    • If a single Community Member is reported more than once, they may experience a termporary or permanent ban.

The OfferUp team may, but is not required to, reach out and may remove content from the OfferUp community forums that violates these guidelines. In severe cases or repeated violations, we may suspend, ban, or take other action on the violator’s accounts. OfferUp may, but it not obligated to moderate access to and use of the OfferUp community forums in its sole discretion through any means (including, for example blocking, filtering, deletion, delay, omission, verification, and/or termination of your access). Futhermore, we have the right to remove any posting you make on the OfferUp community forums if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with these Forum Community Guidelines, the OfferUp Terms of Service, and any other OfferUp Service rules, including without limitation the Prohibited Items Guidelines. You may not bypass or attempt to bypass such moderation.

Remember, our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy apply to your access and use of any part of the OfferUp Service, including the OfferUp community forums. Please see our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Neighbor

I have been on here for awhile. I am wondering if anyone else is having problems taking more than one pic of the item that they are selling. I can get 2 or 3 pics but they show up as grey squares and when I'm done all but one disappears and the one that is left is a grey square. I always have to go back and check to make sure the pic is on there. Any advise?

Level 10! You're a 10!

-Ciao' @audey6402-

---Perplexed, soo... many variables here---

To assist you, we will need a little bit more detail. 

Tyvm ☺

Level 10! You're a 10!

@audey6402 Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

audey6402, Android or iOS?,

you could try signing-out and re-sign-into the OfferUp app, also rebooting your phone. 

You can try to run "Clear Cache" from the Lr Mobile settings->Local Storage.

If there’s still an issue, I would recommend contacting OfferUp 

Customer care.

Below is some more information from OfferUp helps,

Problems with photos

If you’re having trouble uploading photos to OfferUp, the following tips may help.

Enabling photo access

To allow the app to access your photos:

iOS
  1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Privacy, then Photos
  3. Tap OfferUp and toggle the setting to Read and Write
Android
  1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Apps and notifications
  3. Tap App permissions, then Camera
  4. Toggle OfferUp to On
Low image quality

If your original image was very large or was taken in a landscape (horizontal) orientation, it may have lost some quality when it was resized to fit your post. The following may help:

• Try lowering the resolution on your camera
  • Resize your photos before uploading them
  • Try taking your pictures in a portrait (vertical) orientation

Level 3

These guidelines are very reasonable and fair.  

Level 2

I should of read guidelines a very long time ago. I am truly sorry to all those whom i offended by putting a post and having it removed because i should of already been aware of the guidelines. It was an honest mistake. So please dont do it!!!! No Tobacco products. My appologies neighbors and friends.

Sincerly

Level 10! You're a 10!
-Ciao' @Readyrick123- ~~ Very Commendable ~~ Tyvm! 👍😀
Community Manager

Welcome, @Readyrick123 and @Bams4 ! Smiley Very Happy

Block Captain

How do you get friends?.  

Level 4

What about taxes ?  Please explain your policy on this .  Thank you

Level 6

You are responsible for your own taxes. 

Neighbor

There must be guidelines in this day and age ! Awesome 

I dont understand why it is so hard for some to follow these guidelines. They are simple and self explanitory, most of all they are for the most part common sense and are made for ones safety and well being and yet so many issues arise and I can't figure out why and what we could do to better safety for ourselves and others..

@Mj_206 wrote:

• Report problems.

Community Leader

Neighbors. Just type whatever you want

No wonder i cant sell anything to pay my bills

It's to diffacult for some to follow..

Block Captain

I'd like to ask, how can I move my items back up to the top of the feed after a few days?

Level 10! You're a 10!

@1toniosnana Welcome to the OfferUp Community forum,

1toniosnana Information below,

Bump is the easiest way to get your item back in the spotlight in order to find a buyer fast. Each Bump you buy puts that item at the very top of browsing and search results, showing it among items that are newly posted so that it has a better chance at being seen by more buyers  

Don't worry, bumping your item will not change the price or any other details. Note that as new items are posted, your item will slowly move down the feed again, just like brand new items do. 

You can also do a quick search in the forum for thread topic; Learning About Bump

You will get a short video about bumping your items. After closing the video you’ll also be able to see the thread Elin has. I’ll also tag you into the thread topic.

Step-by-step guide on how to buy a Bump

Anywhere you see Bump on one of your items, you can Bump it. Here's how to get started in the app:

1 Tap  Offers

2 Tap on Selling, then tap Bump (or Promote, then Bump) on the item you'd like to Bump

3 Finish buying the Bump through your app store. You won't be charged until you confirm you're willing to pay.

You can also buy a Bump through the OfferUp website.