Stop Wasting Time On Browsers and No-Shows

OfferUp employee

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 12.15.19 PM.png

We saw this thread in the Pro Tips forum and it became very popular, people loved it, so we wanted to highlight @LakotApache for his pro tip! The original thread with all of the replies can be found here. Thanks for sharing your tips with us! 

"I'm sure most everyone at one time or another has experienced the "browser". This person will ask questions about an item, request more photos, want measurements, and will probably even say they won't have the money until a later time. I have my own way to avoid dealing with this, and it's as simple as these five words when replying to their first post: "Are you ready to buy?" I've found that this will usually separate the browser from the buyer. It is also useful when someone offers less than your asking price. If they aren't ready to buy I politely reply "Sorry, I only accept lower offers from those who are ready to buy."

Occasionally I will get a huffy answer or be told that they won't ever buy anything from me. That's the chance I take to eliminate browser frustration, and it works for me. I think most of the time the person genuinely interested in the item understands and will still check back when ready. And I have made over 100 sales and have a 4+ star rating to back me up. I honestly hope my suggestions will help some of you, but perhaps they're not for everyone. Thanks."

Check out our Pro Tips forum for more tips and don't forget to share your own. 

103 Comments

One of the biggest issues I think many of us have is trying to weed out the fake merch. I usually don’t have trouble purchasing real items but on occasion I run into the locked iPods which is basically a brick in your hand. I wish there was a way to locate a seller even if they deactivate their account. I really would love to get my money back on some things

Aewsome tips 💪🏻👌🏻

Ts

Thank you for this advice..I continue to have people ask me so many questions even negotiate me down in price and haven’t even come by to look at item.. I will definitely use your statements to limit those frustrations 

Level 1

Thanks for these tips! One thing i realized after 2 years of selling on offer up is that some of these people will be actual "browsers" and then there will be a percentage that intentionally mess around with you and harrass you on purpose so that you dont use offer up, and in my opinion i think these are business owners who do this to discourage people from using offer up so we buy from stores and they dont lose their business, companies for marketing who just want your address so they can sign you up for mail, and competition apps like letgo or 5miles who want their app to be the best and have consumers  offerup bad ratings bc of these scammers. The trick is to be patient not get frustrated and expect that no one will show up. 5% will eventually show up and in the end you win.

Neighbor

There have been many incidents when even politeness don’t work up ! 

People are just messing with you .. some for passing their time and wasting yours , some more fun or to trick , some just want to check if they can get an item for the cheapest otherwise they speak absurdly or slangs .. 

such people cannot be restricted cause they are like wolf in a herd of sheeps.. this is the worst thing. 

There are many thugs too.. who just try to scare you with some or other stuff and take your items for free .. yes I have gone through that too here .. but yeah I have sold many items too and have 5 star ratings for more than 30 items sold .. 

Level 9

I know what you mean, but for me it’s just more funny than anything. While I wait I’m my car I see some buyers walking like a thug toward my car, but then I step out I’m 6’-2” 250lbs, and their demeanor suddenly changes. I guess I’m lucky, but I know people who were almost held up for their items. It can be sketchy at times.

Neighbor

I get a lot of people asking is this item available but never say anything after I say yes. 

Neighbor

Im Going To Try It Out(:

I dislike flakes. 

Level 1

That’s an awesome suggestion. I will definitely start using that. I have had plenty of these “browsers” waste so much of my time. Now that I have this tip, I will sort through them much easier. Thanks!

Level 1

This app is one of the best apps you punches items odd of.

Level 1

Indeed it is kind sir.

@Elin wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 12.15.19 PM.png

We saw this thread in the Pro Tips forum and it became very popular, people loved it, so we wanted to highlight @LakotApache for his pro tip! The original thread with all of the replies can be found here. Thanks for sharing your tips with us! 

"I'm sure most everyone at one time or another has experienced the "browser". This person will ask questions about an item, request more photos, want measurements, and will probably even say they won't have the money until a later time. I have my own way to avoid dealing with this, and it's as simple as these five words when replying to their first post: "Are you ready to buy?" I've found that this will usually separate the browser from the buyer. It is also useful when someone offers less than your asking price. If they aren't ready to buy I politely reply "Sorry, I only accept lower offers from those who are ready to buy."

Occasionally I will get a huffy answer or be told that they won't ever buy anything from me. That's the chance I take to eliminate browser frustration, and it works for me. I think most of the time the person genuinely interested in the item understands and will still check back when ready. And I have made over 100 sales and have a 4+ star rating to back me up. I honestly hope my suggestions will help some of you, but perhaps they're not for everyone. Thanks."

Check out our Pro Tips forum for more tips and don't forget to share your own. 

Captain

30 years in Management in Retail sales.

Cant be afraid to be upfront with people. They all understand.

OfferUp employee

@Vintage_01 That is very true. The more transparent and communicative you can be, the better Smiley Happy

Captain

The tips are great my comment is for the people who are selling cracked phones that are used for just as much as it would cost to fix the phone and also people want to trade from their page and they don't have anything of value.People also put their phones under the phones for trade when I search it and the post says no trades?

I have had a few no-shows I will give them a second chance but after that I am done with them.

Neighbor

Thanks for the suggestions. The phrases are straight forward and people will know you are serious to do business. 

Neighbor

I just found the time ti enjoy using this most wonderful app. Its a hobby that makes money even better. Now down to the shame some people should have. My first day I snagged on two supposed buyers for two different items I posted. The first buyer that tried to string me along, blew his own cover by using slang about his fourth meaningless request. That was a flag. So being my first day I blocked him and reported his lame behavior. The second person was a bit more successful. He asked for specifics, made photo request, and kept me Jumping through hoops for 4 hours. So as midnight approached I began to get a little cranky and I probably decided to try to force the sale see if I get this guy off my back or do something after all I've done for him he gave me his address made arrangements for me to come to his house and drop off the product so I kept hanging in there but enough is enough and I probably put it to him and then I do the same I reported him and blocked him and that's what everybody should be doing is reporting these browsers because enough reports should get these people get off this site at least I hope it does because that is a shame that people waste people's time like that they must either be lonely or anything better to do but I don't have time for it I won't stand for it and neither should you thank you

I think that's a pretty simple and tactful way to talk with someone who may just be browsing.

Community Member

I’m new. Barely a week old and I already feel the frustration like many of you. I’ve only sold 2 items but the buyers were awesome!! But, there are quite a handful that chat back and forth with the price or description. Once we agree with a price, I never hear from them again. I will try the “Are you ready to buy?” tip. 

I've sold a 100+ and just recently have been expierencing a lot of people asking is still available and asking and even offering but never replying back when I say I'm ready to meet.. I've been here for 2 years +

Will definatly start using those phrases tho.

Neighbor

Thank you for your post. I am so tired of browsers period and rude disrespectful people. I don't have time for this

Captain

Unfortunately with this type of question, you will sometimes get blocked or reported. And since offer up doesn't filter out which report is real or not, soon enough you will be blocked. So the best way to go about a browser or no show is just to play into their game, answer every question politely and hope you whoever you pray to that they still don't report you because like I said it's clear offer up doesn't look into reports and no matter how good your customer service is, enough reports and you will be blocked. 

That’s a good one

I totally agree and I am looking forward to researching some into the original post to see what all other tips and information I can gain from this thread. 

Level 1

the South Florida market is another monster.  No shows, Low ballers, Small Business owners selling fake merchandise, Language barriers and just blatant people not reading the ad.

1st)  the minute some one says they are interested, this will likely be a scam or "browser"   Most people that want to buy will actually send you a REAL message

2nd)  when they start asking too many questions, another waste of time.  If you are straight foward with your listing and the buyer is interested, a few questions will be asked and that will pretty much either seal a deal or not.  Too many questions being asked will most likely show the potential buyer to just wasting time

Captain

I've had people go so far as to tell me they will pick up by 6 p.m. and at 5:45 no word I text them back ask them are you still coming and they don't even respond.  * One thing I am smart enough to do is .. I tell them when you're ready to leave to come here text me and I'll give you the address.

I will be using these specific phrases y'all speak of for sure. And I thank you all. I learned a lot reading here today.

Level 1

Verry nice I like ur style.

Level 1

Definitely going to start doing this. 

OfferUp employee

Hey @Gamer1, what do you mean by "since OfferUp doesn't filter out which report is real or not"? We definitely take each report very seriously and do not block people unless they are continuously in violation of our guidelines. Would love to know what you mean so I can clarify. Let me know!

MPK
Neighbor

That is a great forum, I’m definitely going to start doing this, another thing I do now is stop meeting people, I have wasted so much time with flakes that never show up, if they really want the product I will meet them at the end of my street.

OfferUp employee

@MPK That's so great to hear!!

Level 3

Or the guys that want to "buy" something because they think your hot. It's not a dating site folks. Thanks but Are you going to buy?

OfferUp employee

@Marie37 Hey Marie Smiley Happy If you ever come across members who aren't following our community guidelines, please make sure you report them through the app so our Trust & Safety team can look into it. Please let me know how else I can help! 

Level 3

No problem!! 😊

Level 3

Thank you for the great advice. I check the profiles of all my buyers to determine their distance from my meeting places. A lot of buyers are quick to place an offer without looking at the distance. I immediately ask if they are willing to travel. I usually give them 24hours to answer before blocking and reporting them. Sounds harsh but i learned this the hard way to save valuable time. Again, thank you, will follow your advice!

Captain

That's absolutely a good, direct, simple approach that I'd like to thank you for future use.

In order to avoid the "thanks for wasting my valuable time" from no show unreliable buyers... I have found that typing the following in all caps lock as the 1st line/Sentence in description works wonders. **NO NEXT DAY HOLDs**

Then below that cary on with your description as usual. I also add **Must be able to meet for item viewing/purchase/pick up in =my city name=  ,that usually weeds out the majority that wait till the very end of agreeing on price and time but throw in the "I dont drive, or out of gas can you deliver" (5..10...30 miles away"? 

Level 1

Neighbor

We've experienced "browsers" and it gets frustrating at times. I like that statement, "Are you ready to buy?" I'll start using that! When people ask us to hold items, I answer "if it's still available when you have the money, it's yours"... 😋

Great advice on this thread was curious what process is when you report someone, maybe this posted somewhere I haven't seen yet. Just curious what actions are taken and do you contact both parties or just take ones word? 

Thanks in advance

Gary The Pool Dr.

Level 3

There are sellers on here who are frustrating too....posting 27 items and more than half have been sold, posting items as $10 but they want to negotiate wayyyy higher, etc.

Level 1

I get a lot of people who want to neg. I have a toaster oven brought it at J C Penny. Used 5 times. Paid 60 asking 30. I really haven't had any sales on here. Let go is where I sell my stuff on. I deleted this app and recently got an email so I am back on. Updated everything and she asked still available? If it wasn't I would put sold. I will give this site 2 or 3 months if nothing sells I will remember to delete all items and profile.

FYI alot of people  don't input sold after purchased. If it has a listing date that's old you would want to ask if item is still available 

Level 3

Okay so if it's  a common theme for sellers not to identify items as sold,  how are buyers whining constantly about sellers who ask "is it still available"?   Sorry but I'm reading these posts and there's a lot of back and forth that conflicts.   

Level 3

@Seaturtles55

How is Letgo better/different?  I'm fairly new to all of this.  

Level 1

Well I started with both of them several months ago. Never sold anything on here. After reading all the reviews I was overwhelmed with thugs, then I get is it still available. Let go I have had 100 percent success and they come to my house. Always nice people and a few I still tt. It might be different for other people but I am honest and they are too. All of my big items sold and they had to come here. I don't know. Just personal experience. Again reading about thugs and people being blocked I may delete all my items here. I don't have to call someone out on let go. It looks like some have had success and I am happy for them. 

If they decide they are not interested they tell me.

Good luck.

Like I said after reading all this it won't be long before I delete this post.

Level 1

Midnight

I am an administrator to sites from back home. If you can't mark sold....as I do when they leave then that makes more problems.